What will the change to "Open Class" accomplish?

Liam; You are very correct in your comments regarding the downfall of DCM.

Would - will DCI encourage the re-start of local circuits? Probably yes on paper, but forget about them allowing "their" touring corps to break ranks and participate in a non-DCI contest. They have the total control of each corps competative schedule. If they want to do Europe, Asia tours that's their business, but compete outside the DCI schedule - no way (do the Yankees compete in a triple A schedule???? even to help them out for attendance???)

Back on the DCM thing, in 2002 the last "full" year, there were 20 jr. corps in prelims. For 2007, 8 of them are now no longer with us (add in a 9th - Southwind for 2008). Before 2002, 20 corps in prelims was pretty much the normal, some corps went, but others were "created" to fill the gaps. Balance was achieved. Now there is no balance, just corps going away faster than new one's created.

Liam; You are very correct in your comments regarding the downfall of DCM.

Would - will DCI encourage the re-start of local circuits? Probably yes on paper, but forget about them allowing "their" touring corps to break ranks and participate in a non-DCI contest. They have the total control of each corps competative schedule. If they want to do Europe, Asia tours that's their business, but compete outside the DCI schedule - no way (do the Yankees compete in a triple A schedule???? even to help them out for attendance???)

Well, look at soccer around the world as a different example, though. Clubs participate in the English Premier League (for example) and also in the Champions League. This is a totally seperate league that invites certain teams and the EPL (and Italian Serie A and Spanish league and German Bundesliga, etc etc) all coordiante to allow "their" clubs to particpate. Here in the U.S., some MLS clubs are in the SuperLiga and U.S Open Cup competitions concurrently.

Just saying that there are precedents for this sort of thing .... :)

Maybe that is one of the things that is wrong with DCI. Yes it is suppose to be about being the elite of the Marching Music programs. But in doing so, it created an elitist activity. Drum corps use to be for all. Now, if you have the thousands of dollars needed to participate you can belong.

And that is the way the activity has to be if it is going to profit. It may not be attractive to you but that's the way business works. DCI needs to be exclusive to the elite in this stage of the game or DCI won't sell tickets and merch.

And that is the way the activity has to be if it is going to profit. It may not be attractive to you but that's the way business works. DCI needs to be exclusive to the elite in this stage of the game or DCI won't sell tickets and merch.

DCI may need to be exclusive to the elite, but the elite don't have to be exclusive to DCI. Look at my post above about soccer. Also, look at high school marching band -- BOA Grand Nationals is the elite, but lots of those bands also participate in numerous other non-BOA circuits/competitions. I know there are lots of differences with these examples, just pointing out that it is possible to have an elite, championship organization concurrent with (unaffiliated) local/regional circuits that all exist and thrive for the benefit of all.

I mean, look at it from a business sense, as you say. Why should DCI shoulder all the responsibility and and cost and logistics of putting on an entire summer tour, if they could dovetail with and leverage another organization's/circuit's work and, in the end, still be seen as the "elite" goal of all involved?

..and I know a lot of this is theoretical, but we've got to start the discussion somewhere !! :)

Edited by Liam

Actually, there are plenty of other corps, plus new corps, competing and performing out there, without any help or blessing from DCI. DCA is growing by one to several corps a year lately, plus there is the mini corps activity that is exploding with growth, and there is also the alumni corps "tour" that seems to be adding performance opportunities year after year. And if you'll notice, DCA is a big supporter of these other versions of corps, while DCI seems to want to shun most of them (particularly mini corps).

IMHO, DCA is the one with an open view of the future, while DCI continues to shoot itself in the foot.

So what can be done now? DCI is much healthier and is solidly entrenched as the leader in drum corps activity. Would they be willing to allow (unaffiliated) regional circuits to showcase DCI corps? Would other local corps start-up if the promise of a healthy regional with national DCI corps competing would help the draw? How long would it take to coordinate all this concurrent growth that must take place in order to make a regional circuit viable? Who has the $$ and energy to float a circuit for a few years until that growth materializes and makes the circuit self-sufficient again?

Anyway... Its seeming more and more to me that the problem is that once a Corp. gets to that all coveted possition, it has to maintain it on its own or die. What DCI NEEDS to do IMO is make a saftey net of regionals for those corps. who are not 100% at that stessfull level all the time. Yes, the option is techniquly avalibe to corps. to redesign thier tour schedule, but it seems that IF this is done, it is done w/out the "blessing" of DCI then they are pretty much doomed. So, what I'm saying is that i think, in order to survive as a healthy business, DCI NEEDS regional tours.

Anyway... Its seeming more and more to me that the problem is that once a Corp. gets to that all coveted possition, it has to maintain it on its own or die. What DCI NEEDS to do IMO is make a saftey net of regionals for those corps. who are not 100% at that stessfull level all the time. Yes, the option is techniquly avalibe to corps. to redesign thier tour schedule, but it seems that IF this is done, it is done w/out the "blessing" of DCI then they are pretty much doomed. So, what I'm saying is that i think, in order to survive as a healthy business, DCI NEEDS regional tours.

Yes, I agree -- or at least needs to encourage/coordinate the formation of regional organizations/circuits under seperate management. Either way, you're right on the money, imo. :)

DCI may need to be exclusive to the elite, but the elite don't have to be exclusive to DCI. Look at my post above about soccer. Also, look at high school marching band -- BOA Grand Nationals is the elite, but lots of those bands also participate in numerous other non-BOA circuits/competitions.

Great point, which is why I suggested the idea of starting up smaller community circuits to host corps that are not among the elite. I agree that there is no reason to limit the entire activity to the elite. Certainly give the kids who aspire to be in an elite World or Open class DCI drum corps a place to train. But lets limit DCI TOO the elite. Otherwise, it won't sell.