The Concert Feature

Poll  

168 members have voted

1. 1. Should corps start including a 2-to-3-minute "concert feature" in their show (forming a set and staying in it)?

• Yes
    • No

There are still concert features in drum corps these days... but you only get to play them by winning.

If anything, I'd say step up the show in the lot. Make the entire process much more of an interactive experience for the audience.

Why not make the warm up an actual show... something like a watered-down winter season program with warm ups integrated into it?

Why not try out some funky things in the lot that are not necessarily legal on the field? Lights? Electronics? Fireworks? Lasers? Fire? Elephants? Why not?

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are still concert features in drum corps these days... but you only get to play them by winning.

If anything, I'd say step up the show in the lot. Make the entire process much more of an interactive experience for the audience.

Why not make the warm up an actual show... something like a watered-down winter season program with warm ups integrated into it?

Why not try out some funky things in the lot that are not necessarily legal on the field? Lights? Electronics? Fireworks? Lasers? Fire? Elephants? Why not?

:huh: That would rock.

I am such a parking lot kinda guy anyway...I'm in! B)

I would want a concert feature only if the ushers would let me leave and get a hot dog and get back to my seat after it was over.

:huh:

Boring no one wants to watch a greoup stand still for 3 minutes

Errr...in some shows the concert number was the most exciting part of the entire show for many...

I think it would be great if drum corps shows today included a concert feature that was the norm in the '70s and early '80s. It allowed for more variety over the course of a show (as in, the whole show wasn't just the same formula of marching-and-playing, there was also the musically focused concert feature), allowed for some of the best music to be played without having to worry about how movement could affect it, helped separate the show into standardized, distinct structural elements, and ensured that corps played actual charts rather than an overarranged mish-mosh of cut-and-paste material.

I guess there's been shows recently that have hinted at something like this, along the lines of Cadets 1995, Swing Swing Swing. I just love that "bringing down the house" feeling...think Blue Devil's Legend of the One-Eyed Sailor in 1976 or One More Time, Chuck Corea in '82. We just don't get charts like these nowadays.

I'd love to see the concert feature make a resurgence. What about you guys?

Not such a bad idea. I do have to say the concert feature still lives with Big Ten marching bands. Two reasons for that:

The first applies to all B10 bands, easier to clean up harder music when no drill is involved. Usually the concert feature is the hardest tune out of the show. Second, all bands minus TBDBTIL and Wisconsin, the opportunity to feature the band front (silks and majorettes). I'm puzzled reading through some of these posts that there is nothing to 'watch' during a concert feature, you guys sound like a bunch of drunk college football fans and not musicians! IMO, one of the current problems with dc is the fact that shows and clearly some fans are written, being heard with their eyes. The concert feature would give the guard to the opportunity to really show off their skill level. Is watching the guard during a show really a far fetched idea? I certainly don't think so. For me, it seems way to much time and devotion has been put on the visual aspect of the show, so much that music has suffered. Excessively watered down music, pit and battery caring the majority of the notes played, and too little interesting and entertaining music for the horn line.

In my brutally honest opinion: Movement should play second fiddle to music. It should always complement, never take away from the music being played on the field. In other words I want to hear great music that is complemented by good drill.