Old Mini-Corp..

I just transfered this off an old VCR Tape last night..

Who was the first mini-corps? Well, I know there were a couple older than this, but I thought I’d pass it on to everyone anyway. This video has been collecting dust in a box for 20 years. The 1988 “One More Time” mini-corp was a group of Sunrisers & Bushwackers who got together and put out a mini-corps simply to have something to do during the off-season. Since this was long before DCA and MCA mini corps organizations, the only venue to perform in was as an exhibition at local winter guard shows.

The amount of drill and visuals reminded me of the conversations of late on DCP about the “direction” and “evolution” of marching type mini-corps rather than “Stage Performances” as it was called. I found it ironic that this group was doing that 20 years ago in a gym for a crowd.

I also can’t believe how much damage has happened to the tape! It was recorded on a cheap tape 20 years ago and I’m amazed at the degradation. The sound is still reasonable, but the picture quality is not that great, so I figured I better preserve it before disappeared altogether…

Anyway, watch and enjoy it for what it was….fun! :)

UPDATE:

Low and behold - Going through more and found a better quality video, although the camera isn't in the center and it doesn't stay up top the whole time like the other, but at least it's a little clearer...

Edited by Sunrizer

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK.

That rocked!

Wow. I am amazed. Great show.

DCP. How about a Mini-Corps forum?

Like indoor colour guard innovation in late 1970's but mini-corps was always there. Too cool. Easier to book a gym and one bus. This does rock. Thanks for sharing. Wow. Don't know what to say. Hey, speechless is a good thing.

Wow. I am amazed. Great show.

DCP. How about a Mini-Corps forum?

Like indoor colour guard innovation in late 1970's but mini-corps was always there. Too cool. Easier to book a gym and one bus. This does rock. Thanks for sharing. Wow. Don't know what to say. Hey, speechless is a good thing.

Glad you enjoyed it….

Some interesting tidbits:

- “One More Time” performed about 6 exhibitions that winter…

- The “season” took place before the ’88 DCA season. Ironically, the 2 corps tied that year in finals. Because of a general animosity between the two corps back then because of the tie as well as the time commitment & lack of organized competition, “One More Time” never achieved the success of the first year. They (we) did go back out for ’89 & ’90, but it was much different…

- Sop solist is Paul Beaumont (with hair!...marched 27th, Bush & recently Brigs)…Mellophone in the trio is Rick Roberts (where hasn’t he marched? Cadets, Brigs, Sun, Bush, etc..)….Interestingly, they still are involved with mini-corps in the Golden Eagles…

Anyway...I have a few more old videos I have to "preserve" and get off VHS including some of the '84 GSC finals!! (I know I have the whole performance of the Long Island Grenadiers, but I think there may be some of New Image, NYC Lancers, CMCC Warriors...)

plain and simple,.......................THE reason mini corps should NOT be on an elevated stage!

Couldn't agree more Gary.

It was great seeing that. Thanks for posting the link (Sunrizer).

plain and simple,.......................THE reason mini corps should NOT be on an elevated stage!

Thanks Scott for preserving this tape and sharing it with everyone. I can't wait to see the others.

I can't dispute Gary's comment about the elevated stage. The marching GE in this tape would certainly have been lost if I were looking up. I will even go as far as saying that it probably would have been lost also if both the audience and performers were at ground level. In the context of DCA's mini-corps competition in Rochester the size of the crowd would certainly have filled any average size High school gym.

I am being pulled in two directions. The first being DCA's present loose rules. This permits all types of levels of performance/competition. From the serious Star United vs Renegades competition to the "just glad to be on stage Shenandoah Sound". Keep in mind that I am not implying that any of the mini-corps are not serious. Far from the truth, they are all working their hardest. But you have to admit that the mix includes mini-corps who are starter corps for DCA trying to get off the ground to Alumni mini-corps who are bringing back old times. DCA's rules permit that and then some.

On the other hand the tape presents the possiblity of a more regimented format like winter guard which is both exciting but may exclude some of our present mini-corps. I would like to have both but I think this is just a dream on my part.

BTY there is a great amount of talent in "One More Time"

Edited by Shenandoah Vibrato