OMG Could We Have Been So Young?

I know that this has a DCI Denver/VK/South Park connection...

it also was known to have some of the worst Messican food.

Here's another view of that building:

http://www.rateitall.com/itemimages/859353.jpg

Nancy

Ahhhhh, but the lights...and the divers...

Poppies :w00t:

There you are..I knew I could count on you!!!! :thumbup:

And then there were some guys (this one in particular - a true precursor to the nerd but a terrific DM!) who didn't even need a nickname! He was also a contributor to Drum Corps News!

RICK.jpg

Yes, the young man behind the smoke screen during Woodstock and The Sorcerers' Apprentice… RICK BUB

Maybe it was in another thread, but someone asked me about one of our corps members and since this is the OMG Could We Have Been So Young topic…And even though every member didn't have a nickname here's a picture of a young man who would become famous (some say infamous because of his affiliation with DCI!) judge and drill instructor:

Barry.jpg

Barry Swain

Puppet

OMG!!!! :withstupid:

OMG!!!! :tongue:

Easy George.DMY :withstupid:

In the 60's, if you included up-state NY with NYC, there were quite a few. Also, Jersey was no slouch either. Remember, Long Island alone had a drum corps practically in every other fire department for parades, and every town had a fire department.

Long Island actually had two complete circuits of drum corps back in the late 60's/early 70's. The "bigger (older)" corps competed in the Long Island Circuit, while the "smaller( younger)" corps competed in the Sounds of Suffolk. There were also alot of even bigger corps that competed in the Greater New York Circuit against the big corps from NYC and CT. And then, as mentioned, there were dozens and dozens of corps that were just parade corps, doing mostly firemen fair parades every week of the summer. I am sure that there were alot more than 20 active corps just on L.I. back in that time frame.

Just for a perspective, the website, Drum & Bugle Corps of North America, lists 385 corps from NY versus 146 from Wisconsin.

Edited by kansasDC

OMG!!!! :withstupid:

That is correct, sir. And the very reason I began this topic.

Thank you for that unabashed response!

Puppet

That is correct, sir. And the very reason I began this topic.

Thank you for that unabashed response!

Puppet

Thank you for sharing, your photos are appreciated.

Photos help me remember. 1978, Pam again. The bass drummer is now snare and in later years, flag and winter guard instructor. I believe this is our cooking trailer or similar to, parked at the fair, fundraising.

scan0005-a.jpg

1983 Summer Universiade

1978-Commonwealth.jpg

We went to 1978 Commonwealth Games as spectators. I remember using a roll of film for the opening ceremonies, re-loading the camera, ready for west coast tour that ended up at Denver for DCI finals. Edit, I'm truly happy for 27th and the Olympics presentation.

Edit again. I now remember a local news article a while back of talk of removing some of the stands, can't fill every seat anymore, something like that. I also lost my camera Aug 1978. Edit (last time). Photo taken with Miranda, stored in album with plastic pocket pages, stored in garage for 28 years, scanned on HP March 2008, selected photo and Accept, no additional features. Good camera and paper.

Edited by lindap

I see lots of camera phones these days, so I thought I’d give some insight to the technology of the time.

1977, she taking a picture of me taking a picture of she.

1977-camera1-a.jpg

This was my camera, me in the mirror, but I lost the camera a week before 1978 DCI finals, sorry.

I truly appreciate everyone’s photo contributions.

1977-camera2-a.jpg