OMG Could We Have Been So Young?

I ran into "Wiggy" at Finals in '07 with his beautiful wife. What a blast to him after so many years, albeit, I would have never recognized him! Just as cool as I remember him!

July 1, 1977 a photo I took of Alberta All Girls B Band (junior corps, average age 12) before they performed for the A Band (senior corps, average age 16 1/2) at City Hall. Then the A Band boarded buses to the airport and others followed. I wrote that the convoy was 5 miles long. It was an exciting day for corps members, staff and parents.

1977-Bband.jpg

July 1, 1977 a photo I took of Alberta All Girls B Band (junior corps, average age 12) before they performed for the A Band (senior corps, average age 16 1/2) at City Hall. Then the A Band boarded buses to the airport and others followed. I wrote that the convoy was 5 miles long. It was an exciting day for corps members, staff and parents.

1977-Bband.jpg

Hi "Lindap!" I find it interesting that you use the word "band." Of course you mean drum corps, but to use the "band word" BITD was a moral sin! Not so sure now!

Hi "Lindap!" I find it interesting that you use the word "band." Of course you mean drum corps, but to use the "band word" BITD was a moral sin! Not so sure now!

The ladies started as a band pre-70 and drum corps 70-80, competed in DCI in 75 but traveled to Europe 72, 73, 74, 77. The word band was to get in the door. When audiences saw and heard our drum corps; drum corps was and is where it's at, imo :-)

Mid August 1977, we told the girls if they were in Denver they would be the best all girls drum corps at DCI! Some of the girls asked "what's DCI?" We already knew 1977 was our last year but in 1978 we went to Denver so the girls could see a drum corps contest.

The people in our fair city know and remember the difference between band, pipe bands and drum corps. A while ago I read an article that stated we did a half time show at a football game in 1977, sub zero temperatures...the football fans gave us a standing ovation :-)

edit; the photos were for the horn guys like HornsUp Martybucs and ironlips

Edited by lindap

The ladies started as a band pre-70 and drum corps 70-80, competed in DCI in 75 but traveled to Europe 72, 73, 74, 77. The word band was to get in the door. When audiences saw and heard our drum corps; drum corps was and is where it's at, imo :-)

Mid August 1977, we told the girls if they were in Denver they would be the best all girls drum corps at DCI! Some of the girls asked "what's DCI?" We already knew 1977 was our last year but in 1978 we went to Denver so the girls could see a drum corps contest.

The people in our fair city know and remember the difference between band, pipe bands and drum corps. A while ago I read an article that stated we did a half time show at a football game in 1977, sub zero temperatures...the football fans gave us a standing ovation :-)

edit; the photos were for the horn guys like HornsUp Martybucs and ironlips

And, of course, me.

Thank you.

Puppet

I had the pleasure of finally meeting the legendary Mike Duffy when I marched with Kingsmen Alumni Corps in 06 and he spoke well of his time instructing Alberta. For that matter so did Dale and others that went along for that ride circa 1974 (?). Wish I would have had the pleasure but was elsewhere doing other things.

RON HOUSLEY

I had the pleasure of finally meeting the legendary Mike Duffy when I marched with Kingsmen Alumni Corps in 06 and he spoke well of his time instructing Alberta. For that matter so did Dale and others that went along for that ride circa 1974 (?). Wish I would have had the pleasure but was elsewhere doing other things.

RON HOUSLEY

Thanks for the kind words, Ron, and nice to meet you. I’ll try to provide, from my point of view, a glimpse from decades ago.

Mike Duffy was Music Director for the Alberta All Girls for over 5 years during the 70’s. I had the privilege and pleasure of working with him for 2 years. On behalf of the Alberta All Girls, thank you Mr. Duffy for writing, giving, showing, facilitating, teaching and inspiring us to play the wonderful music.

October 1976 – September 1977, the 4 instructional staff for the junior and senior corps convened. Pam and I were the visual staff. We were 22 and 21 at the time and co-drum majors; on a first name basis with the girls. Mr. Whitney was all things drums, Mr. Duffy all things horns and oversaw the program, a good team. We embarked on our 10 week tour of Europe leaving the junior corps with ‘age-outs’ such as Linda R., a protégé of Mr. Duffy. She and others took care of the junior corps in our absence.

If I may convey, the summer of 1977 was my 7th year as ‘guard tech’ and 5th year as drum major. I remember an evening when we performed our field show in Nijkerk. One musical selection was written to progressively accelerate in tempo. The drum line had a phrase prior to the finale in which they, that night, accelerated exponentially as if on adrenaline. As a drum major, there was nothing I could do. The girls had their wings and flew. The horn line then played precisely on cue and continued the frenzied crescendo to the last clean note. This was one of many moments where I felt I was a conductor for a group of well taught, experienced and talented musicians. What an awesome show for us all. Thanks to the Alberta All Girls Drum and Bugle Corps organization (whom had maintained their not for profit status until 2004) for the opportunity.

Dale may have been with the organization prior to 1976, before my time. Did she play flute? If so, there’s a scan below of a 1975 stage performance with a flautist accompanied by a drum corps.

Ron, I want to let you know that the first time Pam and I had the girls participate in winter guard was 76-77. Stanley Knaub was our designer and became a mentor for many guards in our fair city. In April 1979, we started a winter guard circuit that continued for 10 memorable years. There will always be a place in my heart for Stanley. Thanks for letting me share.