Phantom Regiment announces 2008 show...SPARTACUS!

I still like your performance of Prelude To Battle. VERY emotional.

Just to read posts about the impact our shows had on other people and corps (ie, 91 Star) is staggering and humbling. Again, I am thankful.

I hope the 2008 version of Spartacus has the same impact our shows did. With the skills of the Regiment's creative staff, I'm confident it will.

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think they had this one saved up until the corps size increased to 150 strong. The increased size I would imagine would go mostly if not all to the hornline. That 15 member increase on the hornline will make a big difference, as I would have questioned if the current size of the hornline would have been powerful enough of any corps to make that strong attack like they did on G bugles in 81-82.

Great choice. I too have longed for the return of Spartacus. Red and Black capes a must. Another consideration would be some black in the uniforms. I don't think all white uniforms for this show would work. Either all black uniforms or white jackets and black pants with red trim.

Lastly, the audio clip seems slightly different, a little watered down than I remember on my recording. I remember the hornline after the opening long note attacks playing the wicked 16-note licks, not the bells/xylophones. Have I been humming it wrong all this time? LOL

I vote YES to more in the hornline!!!

I think the audio clip is of '81 and you are remembering the '82 version.

I still like your performance of Prelude To Battle. VERY emotional.

Just to read posts about the impact our shows had on other people and corps (ie, 91 Star) is staggering and humbling. Again, I am thankful.

I hope the 2008 version of Spartacus has the same impact our shows did. With the skills of the Regiment's creative staff, I'm confident it will.

Yes...it's very humbling indeed...especially when you consider that there have been so many excellent (and MEMORABLE) Regiment shows since 81-82. Today, I received a handful of emails from PR alums from 1981 to 2007 - as well as from current members - it seems everyone is pumped about this.

I think that Spartacus "fits" the corps better today than it did in 1981-82...if this line of thinking makes sense...

In 1981, Spartacus was new and different in that it was designed around a story line. Not to discount the contributions of those that came before us, for there is much history and tradition that is rooted in the 1970s and before, but much of Regiment's "modern" reputation for performing powerful and emotional music (as opposed to purely "classical" music) was built since we marched. We saw a rebirth of the corps in the late 80s and early 90s, and again in 2003. From that point of view, I think Spartacus is a great choice for 2008 - the concept can be developed much further and delivered at levels of performance that were never even considered back then. I think there are stark differences between 1981 and 1982 (not just placement or scoring), and those shows were done back to back. I don't think that the risks of "going back to the well" are that great - I think you'll see some great creativity, some incredible writing, and flat out awesome performances from the members. I'm sure that the 2008 Regiment will do us all proud.

SUTA

I vote YES to more in the hornline!!!

I think the audio clip is of '81 and you are remembering the '82 version.

Yup - the running 16ths were in the sops and keyboards in 1981, but keyboards only in 1982. The version they've been playing for encores is the 82 arrangement.

I can't imagine what the tempos are going to be like in 2008...

Running 16ths in the opening fanfare? The keyboards and sops had that in '82. The lead sops practiced them every chance they got.

Ahhh...I see what you're talking about JD...the sops played running 16ths in two different spots in that opening phrase - one spot in 1981, the other in 1982. I was talking about the 36 count phrase @ 128 tempo (1981)...I think the part you are referring to is the 20 counts immediately following (1982)...

Maybe they can do all 56 counts in 2008...HA! :tic:

128 bpm...what a dirge!!!

One thing for sure - JD Shaw is gonna paint this up and down with mello licks.

You Phantom Phanboys are really something!

Am I the only one that finds the Spartacus score anachronistic, boring, and sorta... campy?

I blame it on my age.

Is there anyone under 25 who is actually interested in this show?

My nomination for the loneliest person in the thread.