Phantom Regiment announces 2008 show...SPARTACUS!

I guess I struck a chord, especially with you. I wonder if I would have taken your argument more seriously if you weren't a member of the very corps that marched Spartacus! Biased-much?

I guess you're not understanding the term "anachronistic" particularly well (those online dictionaries can be a little tricky sometimes!)

There's a giant difference between a piece of music that is classic and enduring and music that is well, old and out of place (see: anachronistic). Good music NECESSARILY transcends chronology. That's the difference between the bachs, the mozarts, the beethovens, the mahlers, and the no-name composers of yester-century.

Also, what's so anachronistic about drum corps these days? To me, it's a whole new beast, evolved, and of it's particular time. I'm sure today's drum corps is vastly different from the past; I do expect drum corps to change in the future. Now, perhaps the term "drum corps" is anachronistic, but the form and the idea of drum corps is not (we're just arguing semantics here now). (not particularly useful for my argument)

Lastly, I don't understand your use of logic. Since I think Spartacus is boring, that equates me as someone who lacks necessary experience to appreciate it? Huh? Also, I don't quite follow how a disagreement in preference and opinion makes me a vapid, trend-following consumer?

Simply put, I don't like Spartacus. I don't understand how that makes me stupid.

LOL, what a joke. SVC could come out playing Wii themes on kazoos (with a mix of pan flute) and you'd be drooling, issuing OMG and "HOLY CRAP!!" and so on... Granted, there's nothing wrong with that--being a drum corps homer is kinda fun. (And, FWIW, I dig several corps, including SCV.) But you sound pretty silly when you make posts like your last two.

Pot, meet Kettle.

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

LOL, what a joke. SVC could come out playing Wii themes on kazoos (with a mix of pan flute) and you'd be drooling, issuing OMG and "HOLY CRAP!!" and so on... Granted, there's nothing wrong with that--being a drum corps homer is kinda fun. (And, FWIW, I dig several corps, including SCV.) But you sound pretty silly when you make posts like your last two.

Pot, meet Kettle.

Here we go again. . .either you are in love with Phantom and all they do or you are a hater, silly, too young, unappreciative, etc. :tic:

. . .and I guarantee some of the same people labeling this guy will be some of the first to go do the same thing he did here in a Cadets thread.

Well, it's still an exciting time in the history of the corps. I won't compare the 2008 show with the 1981 or 1982 show. They're apples and oranges. There's more to Khatchaturian's Spartacus than we put on the field and I hope this corps can take advantage of that.

Dana, good to see you on the forum, brother!! ^OO^ If this keeps up, we could have a small Spartacus reunion in this thread. B)

Edited by Jd83

Here we go again. . .either you are in love with Phantom The Cadets and all they do or you are a hater, silly, too young, unappreciative, etc. :tic:

. . .and I guarantee some of the same people labeling this guy will be some of the first to go do the same thing he did here in a Cadets thread.

Sigh. All roads lead to Rome...ahem, The Cadets, don't they?

Michael, you're the first one out of the gate anytime someone takes a similar tack with them. (You're even proactive, taking pre-emptive strikes like this, even when there's a hint--real or imagined-- of a future Cadet threat...) Substitute "The Cadets" in your statement, and it works equally well. If all he'd done was say that he thought it was a redundant or boring show concept, I wouldn't have responded at all. (How many times have I responded to yours, or anyone else's, opinion on Regiment's style, etc. It's no secret that their style hasn't been one of your favorites. Have I ever taken issue with that?) I responded because of the condescending attitude and hypocrisy of his remarks. ("Boy, you Phantom Phanboys really are something!") Are you going to tell me you wouldn't have responded similarly if someone had said the same thing about "Cadet fanboys?"

He also threw down the "bias" card, (Another kind of "label," wouldn't you agree?), even though it's plainly obvious he's biased towards SCV as well. As I said before, this is totally fine--we all have personal biases towards our favorite corps, even you. The problem is when people use this as an excuse to bag on others, simply because they're hyped or excited about their own favorite. Haven't you said almost the same thing before? I've certainly seen you have similar reactions in Cadets threads. I don't understand why you insist on making this distinction between your own defense of The Cadets and what you see as a "love it or hate it" attitude with Regiment fans. Why the double standard?

I am not talking about just music, I am saying that most people are confusing Sparta and Spartacus.

no confusion at all. Spartacus (or Spartakus) took this name as an homage to the Spartan warriors. The two...Spartakus and Sparta are connected...they are obviously not the same thing...but they are related...connected....and there's several Master's theses and Doctoral dissertations blah blah blah.

Sparta...city/state had some issues with their neighbors.

Spartakus had issues with totalitarian authority...kind of an anarchist. Got in a bit of trouble for it too.

Sigh. All roads lead to Rome...ahem, The Cadets, don't they?

Michael, you're the first one out of the gate anytime someone takes a similar tack with them. (You're even proactive, taking pre-emptive strikes like this, even when there's a hint--real or imagined-- of a future Cadet threat...)

Oh really? Is this why I was very vocal stating my dislike for what they were doing last April and May?

Or in 2004 not really being on board with their show either?

Or in 2006 reviewing it very poorly as well?

Try again.

My point remains. . .one person is not supportive in this thread and they get lambasted by a couple of you. Seems to me the double standard exists much more over here, but whatever makes you feel better.

Oh really? Is this why I was very vocal stating my dislike for what they were doing last April and May?

Or in 2004 not really being on board with their show either?

Or in 2006 reviewing it very poorly as well?

Try again.

My point remains. . .one person is not supportive in this thread and they get lambasted by a couple of you. Seems to me the double standard exists much more over here, but whatever makes you feel better.

You've said before that, "Reading comprehension is a beautiful thing." I have to agree. Did I say that my response was because he "wasn't supportive?" Other people had already voiced misgivings about the choice of theme. That was never the issue--it was the fact that he took his dislike for it (or the corps, more likely) and used it as an excuse to bash (ahem--"lambast") other people because they did like it. This is what I was responding to. Similarly, I said nothing to your propensity (or reasons) to like or dislike Cadets shows. Read it again. My point was that when someone either bashes The Cadets, or its supporters, simply because they are fans of the corps or its shows, you jump to their defense. As a fan, that makes sense. As you've said, "I will not apologize for being a Cadets fan and responding to people who speak negatively about them, so move on." I'm not arguing that you shouldn't. What I don't understand, and so I'll ask again, is how was my response (or motive) any different than your past responses to similar situations? You've either missed this point or chosen to ignore it. If someone accused you of being a "Cadets Fanboy" because you said you thought an announced Cadets show sounded good, you wouldn't take offense?

You've said before that, "Reading comprehension is a beautiful thing." I have to agree. Did I say that my response was because he "wasn't supportive?" Other people had already voiced misgivings about the choice of theme. That was never the issue--it was the fact that he took his dislike for it (or the corps, more likely) and used it as an excuse to bash (ahem--"lambast") other people because they did like it. This is what I was responding to. Similarly, I said nothing to your propensity (or reasons) to like or dislike Cadets shows. Read it again. My point was that when someone either bashes The Cadets, or its supporters, simply because they are fans of the corps or its shows, you jump to their defense. As a fan, that makes sense. As you've said, "I will not apologize for being a Cadets fan and responding to people who speak negatively about them, so move on." I'm not arguing that you shouldn't. What I don't understand, and so I'll ask again, is how was my response (or motive) any different than your past responses to similar situations? You've either missed this point or chosen to ignore it. If someone accused you of being a "Cadets Fanboy" because you said you thought an announced Cadets show sounded good, you wouldn't take offense?

My take on it was that the guy was simply not digging the music choice. Maybe I need to go back and re-read what he wrote.

In response to the rest of what you said, you make some good points. In essence, it is no different from many of my responses in those types of threads.

I guess I just get tired of the disparity in how and for whom some people support corps and the activity in general. My apologies for jumping to conclusions.