1965 Drum Corps Associates

wow.........brought back memories of those shows.......thanx NanciD

J

• 2 weeks later...

Ouch!!!!!

Ouch!!!!!

Ouch is right Jimmy ... I was at that show and couldn't believe the change in Archie from prior years ... a totally subdued corps and uncharacteristically unprepared ... besides the "no solos" mantra wasn't 65 the "new concert of the week" year? Anyway, I saw Archie a few times that year and they just never seemed to get on track ... the 63 AL Nats cast a die for them that was irreversable ... I don't think they even went to the first DCA Championship that year ... they seemed to rebound somewhat in 66 with the infusion of some Vasella players ... even wore Ballentine's unis at some stage shows ... maybe Jimbalaya can fill us in a little on those years ...

Andy

Geeeeez........thanks for remembering Andy......no more Merlot........yes, '65 was not the best of years and it was a result not only of the '63 AL Nat's debacle, but a good attempt in '64 (the year of a thousand concerts) to rekindle and ressurect that Archie that left it's heart in Miami in September '63. For me THAT single event made the '63 corps a part of my family forever. Sitting in the bus after scores were announced it was 'all for one/one for all' in abject misery.

I had never seen 90 grown men cry.......there I was balling my eyes out with my hero's, knowing we left everything we had on that field and knowing full well that our performance was one in a thousand. Maybe one in ten thousand. Any time I listen to a recording of that show I can still here the feet hitting the field like a snare tap at every mark time. Listen, you'll here it too. I was in the last 3 man squad to exit the field (backfield goal). Between Carmen Cirlincione and Kenny Newman. A rose between two thorns......errrrr, french horns. At that last chord hit, horns down/up into the Musketeer pose....I hear to my right....'oh God'.....and Carmen hits the dirt........on my left.......echhhhulp......and Kenny blows lunch in front of us. I'm just trying to stay on my feet. Had never had that kind of a feeling before in my life and never since. As you know my friend, we were never know for our excellence with our marching.......good, yes........but it was always brass, percussion and repertoire (show concept and executuion) that kept us up at the top. However, Miami changed that. Our M&M was impeccable. I feel bad for any kids in the activity who have not had the opportunity to hear a crowd of 50,000 on their feet cheering their hearts out for the entire closer of a show........

Enough of that sadness. '64 started out rough. We were thin in May at the first shows and had lost some of that intensity we had in years prior. We tried many different (3) 'concert' pieces looking for that something that would be 'outside' the box for us. Throughout the season '63 alumni would continue to return. By late July Lee Wolf had the idea to maybe do something contemporary....maybe like R&R'ish.........there were these funny looking kids from the UK that were making a big splash.........long haired and very, very unusual. "I Wanna Hold Your Hand" was the last 'concert' piece we used. With sight gags and shtick.......a long haired Billy Kauffman sitting at a 'trap' set...and our 'Tribute To The Beatles' was born and it sold........we continued to improve throught mid to late summer, but couldn't seem to make it back. We certainly felt that we were close, closer than some judges had us. Maybe it was trying a new genre. Who knows. We ended '64 in a less that favorable position to our peers.

'65 was another transitional year for us. Again, we had to recover from a year that was just OK. Not an Archie year at all. The Vietnam involvement started taking some vet's. Changes in staff and show concepts and repertoire made the entire corps 'less than comfortable' (I guess insecurity might be closer to the truth) all year. These factors, as well as the issues of the prior two years contributed to an unstellar and mediocre year.........a prelude to the corps' deaththroes

to come prior to '68 and the merged Reilly Raiders/Musketeers. The real Archie was not to be ressurrected until 1975 with the emergence of the very first alumni corps which was the first an only alumni corps to perform in exhibition at The Dream in '78.

OK..........big mout' has said enough.....my troat is hurtin'

My condolences to you buddy and all of the Skyliner family on the loss of Konga.......

J

Ouch is right Jimmy ... I was at that show and couldn't believe the change in Archie from prior years ... a totally subdued corps and uncharacteristically unprepared ... besides the "no solos" mantra wasn't 65 the "new concert of the week" year? Anyway, I saw Archie a few times that year and they just never seemed to get on track ... the 63 AL Nats cast a die for them that was irreversable ... I don't think they even went to the first DCA Championship that year ... they seemed to rebound somewhat in 66 with the infusion of some Vasella players ... even wore Ballentine's unis at some stage shows ... maybe Jimbalaya can fill us in a little on those years ...

Andy

And all of this time I thought Archie was only known for the singing, Joe.

In '65 we could still sing........Joe!!!! Joe!!!!!! Let's sing Joe Lahoma, where the winds come sweeping up yer kilt.

Joebaloney Joe

And all of this time I thought Archie was only known for the singing, Joe.

In '65 we could still sing........Joe!!!! Joe!!!!!! Let's sing Joe Lahoma, where the winds come sweeping up yer kilt.

Joebaloney Joe

Ah yes ... Christmas Story ... Chinese restaurant staff singing "OHHHH KRAHOMA" ... and ... "SIGHRENT NIGHT" ...

Andy "You'll shoot yer eye out" Lisko