Two News Stories on dci.org Referring to Marching Band

I think people are reading/will read too far into this. They act as if marching band and drum corps aren't related at all. As explained above, DCI is involved with both of these events, and they are both youth-based activities. There's nothing of alarm here. Move along.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As I've said so many times, here and elsewhere, all drum corps are marching bands. Quite certainly, not all marching bands are drum corps.

As I've said so many times, here and elsewhere, all drum corps are marching bands. Quite certainly, not all marching bands are drum corps.

And did anyone here actually watch the show last night? Holy crap

I think people are reading/will read too far into this. They act as if marching band and drum corps aren't related at all. As explained above, DCI is involved with both of these events, and they are both youth-based activities. There's nothing of alarm here. Move along.

Does the news headline below have anything to do with DCI and drum corps?

"USSBA set for National Championships"

Does the news headline below have anything to do with DCI and drum corps?

"USSBA set for National Championships"

Yes it does.

USSBA is run by YEA! and the USSBA circuit is a major fundraiser for that orgainzation.

YEA! is also the parent organization of The Cadets.

DCI is helping one of its member organizations promote its activity.

I see a connection.

Edited by BOBSMYTH

Yes it does.

USSBA is run by YEA! and the USSBA circuit is a major fundraiser for that orgainzation.

YEA! is also the parent organization of The Cadets.

DCI is helping one of its member organizations promote its activity.

I see a connection.

I disagree. If I were a member of the Cadets and found out my corps dues were funding a marching band circuit that I had no involvement with, I would be a tad upset. It works the other way around to. If I were part of the band circuit and found out monies pouring in to the circuit were funneling in to a drum corps budget instead....I would probably not like that either.

BTW......I have been to both YEA drum corps and YEA USSBA events many many times. I think of them as separate entities. Band is band....drum corps is drum corps. Unlike YEA....I like two "separate" types of performing groups.

I disagree. If I were a member of the Cadets and found out my corps dues were funding a marching band circuit that I had no involvement with, I would be a tad upset. It works the other way around to. If I were part of the band circuit and found out monies pouring in to the circuit were funneling in to a drum corps budget instead....I would probably not like that either.

BTW......I have been to both YEA drum corps and YEA USSBA events many many times. I think of them as separate entities. Band is band....drum corps is drum corps. Unlike YEA....I like two "separate" types of performing groups.

so bucko...what you are saying (anonymously by the way) is that the YEA! is a corrupt money laundering organization without restrictions on where their monies are gained and their expenses are incurred. That's quite an accusation for someone with no proof.

The set-up of the band circuit has been very well documented since its inception. Everyone involved with it knows the connect between the corps and the circuit. It took George and The Cadets to pull the circuit together. All involved on both sides have benefited from the relationship and participate in it voluntarily.