Bass Drum Sizes

DarkImage4

As far as sizes go: 18, 20, 22, 24, 28 works for me.

Hey all, we're looking into a new set of drums for our HS battery (soon). Need a little input as to what your preferences are and why? Also, anyone know what some of the world class corps are using?

Thanks!

A lot of corps seem to be using 18 tops and 30 bottoms, as for in between it could be 20, 22, 26 or 20, 24, 26.

When I was at Grenadiers we started off using 16, 18, 22, 26, 30 when we had the silky silver Yamaha drums, when we got the red sparkle lacquer drums they were 18, 20, 22, 26, 30.

As for a high school 18, 20, 22, 24, 28 would work ok like Bill suggested.

The HS I teach uses 18-20-22-26-30. Tuning them was a breeze. If anything, I'd say 2 inches between the top two and four inches between the bottom two, what you do between the middle three is up to you.

The HS I teach uses 18-20-22-26-30. Tuning them was a breeze. If anything, I'd say 2 inches between the top two and four inches between the bottom two, what you do between the middle three is up to you.

Word.

My HS line uses 16-18-20-24-28. We've found that kids coming through the program are smaller and smaller, so this works for us. Food for thought...

Hey all, we're looking into a new set of drums for our HS battery (soon). Need a little input as to what your preferences are and why? Also, anyone know what some of the world class corps are using?

Thanks!

Break the trend. Get away from the current "Folgers Coffee can vertical tenor drum" sound. That's basically what 18 and 20 inch bass drums are. Go with 22, 24, 26, 28 and 30 or 32. Use mallets with a bigger head. Your line will sound better because you'll actually get a BASS sound out of your bass drums......

Break the trend. Get away from the current "Folgers Coffee can vertical tenor drum" sound. That's basically what 18 and 20 inch bass drums are. Go with 22, 24, 26, 28 and 30 or 32. Use mallets with a bigger head. Your line will sound better because you'll actually get a BASS sound out of your bass drums......

And you want a 5ft 3 kid to carry a 30/32" drum? High schoolers are not as big as they used to be.

When in doubt, you can always unhook the concert bass drum from it's stand and throw that on a harness. WOO HOO THUNDER BASS!!!!

Translation, break back into the trend we broke out of 20 years ago. :P

If you tune the basses too low these days, you'll get nailed by the judges. It's better to cover a wide range of pitches--perfect fourths between the drums is popular, or if your show is pretty much in the same key the whole way through, tune the basses to a chord in that key. The line I taught this fall did a show that is mostly in C, and we tuned the basses accordingly: our 18-20-22-26-30 line was tuned g-e-C-G-CC, which matched up perfectly with the low brass parts at the very beginning. It was a nice effect to have the drumline in tune with the hornline.