Any DVD Reviews out there?

Just wondering if someone will review the DVD's this year as mine haven't arrived yet and I'm just curious to how it all turned out.

Just wondering if someone will review the DVD's this year as mine haven't arrived yet and I'm just curious to how it all turned out.

Kyle,

I received mine last week. It is the one showing the finals only. Though the video quality was decent, I found the audio to be off in parts. I think this was because the only microphones I saw were along the front. This would create delay. So when a percussion line was in the back field, I noticed delay when they were hitting the drums. Also I found the front ensemble pit audio a bit loud in parts and sometimes it almost drowned out the brass. Again due to the row of microphones across the front.

I understand audio is hard to record at events like these but there has to be a better way to record especially the back field.

Also the camera crew should have been more on top of any soloists as at times when a soloist was playing the camera would be focused on something else.

My only suggestion would be that during prelims, somebody on the camera crew take notes for when the solists play. During the taping, if the camera men had clearcom (communications between each other and the one calling the shots) most of the soloists would have been featured.

I found the video great overall and it allowed me to watch the shows instead of having a camera stuck to my face.

My only suggestion would be that during prelims, somebody on the camera crew take notes for when the solists play. During the taping, if the camera men had clearcom (communications between each other and the one calling the shots) most of the soloists would have been featured.

I found the video great overall and it allowed me to watch the shows instead of having a camera stuck to my face.

Actually, each corps was sent a survey asking them for cues and such for specific things to highlight during their show,...........my take is that the file got lost, or was disregarded during mix down,...............or something.........

Edited by Gary Matczak

The only thing that was an issue on the dvd's was the poor lighting conditions on the first few corps. But that's nature I guess. You're going to fall in love with the corps all over again after watching the dvd's. I can't get my eyes off of Crown's show.

I had to double check this is the DCA side right???

Believe so.

For the most part the DVDs were decent, however they must fire the guy who was calling the live feed that night because what was with those random camera angles I mean comeon, especially that one from the pressbox in the endzone and only one ground level shot? They need to use one of those carea crane style shots in the future and seriously take account of what is important in the shows. I serioulsy need DCA to consider a new video production company like Mr. Video or Tom Blair

One man's review:

The Minicorps DVDs are.. a disappointment, to say the least...

Granted, Baker did a decent job considering the conditions, i.e lousy acoustics, crowds getting in the way, etc.

(Can we give them a raised platform closer to the action next year?)

But:

NO MENUS!? What's up with that!?

There aren't even any black frames to separate the corps!

If I were in St. Kevin's, for example, and had to Fast-Forward through an hour of other corps - and then "hit the spot" perfectly to see the beginning of my show - I'd be a little upset...

(Especially if I paid $50 for the "privilege"...)

Trust me, it's easy to add a menu...

I took the DVDs, and - with a less-than-state-of-the-art laptop and some cheap software - made a simple menu so I could jump to the Minicorps I want to see in less than an hour...

A professional recording company should certainly have been able to do the same, no?

BVP, please:

If you won't take the Minicorps event seriously - then DON'T BOTHER!

$50 for this is a travesty...

BTW, does Don Moran still do video recordings?

(Not for nuthin', I'm just askin'...)

Just got my Prelims and Finals recording. It came with a menu to select Prelims, Finals, Awards, and Encore. So for that I'm happy.

Angles weren't as bad as I thought they'd be, but again, the volume is way to low. I'm glad they didn't do a close up of that idiot baritone player trying to dance with the guard member for finals. Key word being trying :laughing::thumbup: