Georgia

Give the Univ. of West Ga a glance before your final decision!

GO WOLVES!!!!!!! (or Braves)

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

FYI: Ga Tech allows students from local colleges that do not have bands of their own to march in their band. There are a number of Kennesaw and Ga State students in the GT band.

That's really cool about Georgia Tech. I'm definitely going to look into that. Does anyone know if all of Revolutions camps will be in GA including Spring Training or whatever they call it?

Um, how do you feel about crippling traffic, terrible summer air quality, getting panhandled every time you step out of your car downtown, rising crime rates (a murder barely raises an eyebrow on the local news)?

I'm a fifth generation Georgian, and it makes me ill to see what's happening here. What we're hearing from most other people in our middle-aged demographic is retirement plans that start with the phrase "anywhere else".

Um, how do you feel about crippling traffic, terrible summer air quality, getting panhandled every time you step out of your car downtown, rising crime rates (a murder barely raises an eyebrow on the local news)?

I'm a fifth generation Georgian, and it makes me ill to see what's happening here. What we're hearing from most other people in our middle-aged demographic is retirement plans that start with the phrase "anywhere else".

comes with the territory i guess. nowhere is perfect

I just watched The GT drumline on youtube and holy crap. There's vids of them playing ditty, latin lover and double beat. I definitely think that going to Kennesaw is my best bet, so that I can be a part of that awesome drumline with band accompaniment

That's really cool about Georgia Tech. I'm definitely going to look into that. Does anyone know if all of Revolutions camps will be in GA including Spring Training or whatever they call it?

From the looks of it, several camps will be held in Georgia, but you may have to fly into San Antonio for spring training since a majority of their members will be from the Texas area.

I think this is a good move though. Maybe they could try to cater to the ECJ kids too.

To all HS and College students in GA. Teal Sound does and actively recruits throughout GA as well as Florida. If you want to be in a top 3 Open class corps then we welcome you to audition for the Teal Sound. This year's program will definitely be the best the corps has seen to date and with the likes of adding Kirk Gay to the percusion staff, Budd Williams as the Guard Caption Head and Jeremy Hunt as the show designer, you won't want to miss out on performing with the South's most up and coming drum corps!!!

Dec. 15 & 16 at Middleburg HS in Middleburg, FL

Visit us at www. tealsound.org to find out more information.

I've seen and heard Lassiter and Kennesaw but both I think are about 2 hours away not including traffic in Atlanta. I've never heard of Harrison but will definitely look them up.

Those are 30 minutes easily away from Atlanta.

For all of you Georgians, I have a few questions. What's the atmosphere down there like in terms of drum corps? I'm moving to Macon in the Spring and was kinda wondering if there ae alot of fans in the area. Also how are the bands down there, as im looking to tech somewhere too. Do any corps hold camps there? How bout indoor drumlines or guards? Any info would be greatly appreciated. Any info on college marching bands down there would be awesome too

http://www.sapaonline.net/

That's the winterguard / drum line circuit website.

There is a BOA regional in Atlanta. There is a DCI Atlanta regional. No certain exact circuit in Atlanta but there are plenty of band shows that go one, from shows that have close to 30 bands to smaller ones. Every time Lassister has gone to BOA (1998 and 2002) they've won it. Kennesaw Mountain has made grand finals and many other bands have done so also.

There is also Corpsvets (I march there) and Alliance (good Class A All-age corps). Court of Honor was there in 2003 and 2004. Memphis Sound is a 5 hour drive from Atlanta. Music City Legend (all-age) is a pretty good drive also which is based out of Nashville, Tennessee. The Presidents (all-age from TN) is suppose to start-up either this year or next year, been hearing some rumblings.

Crown is from Fort Mill, SC which is 5-6 hour drive if I remember correctly. Spirit is from Jacksonville State University which is about 3 hours from downtown Atlanta. JSU is also a great school for the marching band and music program and Columbus State University is amazing also. Those 2 are top in the Southeast in Music schools.

High school teaching wise you have many MANY many different schools to choose from to tech at especially in the Cobb, Marietta, Gwinett, Forsyth and many more counties up north.

When you go downtown Atlanta... don't use a blinker (my father taught me that and he was a fireman in the city for 27 years). The blinker just gives the drivers a warning to jump ahead of you, they will do it too. The crime rate is around average from what I've noticed. Many things to do downtown tourist wise from the Georgia Aquarium (world's largest aquarium) to the World of Coke (home of how they make coke and ABOUT 10 different flavors from different countries) to also the Centennial Olympic Park (home of an amazing view of Atlanta and water fountains).

Atlanta is also home to the Atlanta Braves (14 time division champion in a row from 1991-2005), Atlanta Falcons (home of that guy who did those things to dogs), Atlanta Thrashers (hockey team), Atlanta Hawks (basketball team). All those arenas and stadiums are really close to everything downtown. The Georgia Force (Arena football team) play up in Gwinett.