Critical evidence for arts in education

I am sort of new to the forum thing, and I was just wondering if someone could tell me what it means when someone posts the word "BUMP"? Thank you, and sorry if this is off topic...

A "bump" is a post that serves to put the thread back up to the top of the main forum page.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A "bump" is a post that serves to put the thread back up to the top of the main forum page.

Like this <bump> post, for example.

I love the way they packaged what this study churned out... The stuff in Critical Links (I don't know if that's available online) is also pretty profound.

My boss (I work for a local-level arts council) also brought us an article last year stating that (believe it or not) other countries who we look to as far as math/science scores go, are looking at US models of education to figure out how to better their workers through a more rounded education.

What those other countries are finding is that although they have the book smarts, they're lacking the creativity necessary to innovate.

I wouldn't trade the education I got through my participation in music for the world...

I wouldn't trade the education I got through my participation in music for the world...

If it wasn't for the music (I was in three music classes as a senior in high school), I would have graduated as a junior because I had all the credits I needed. But I wouldn't have been mature enough to make it in college, and I wouldn't have been in the right spot at the right time for someone to drag me kicking and screaming to my first corps rehearsal, to which I truly did not want to go, and yet fell in love immediately and joined that night.

My music in high school kept me sane amidst all the other things that were not keeping me sane.

A well known organization among music educators is www.menc.org

MENC is The National Association for Music Education and is the leading advocacy group for music and the arts. I'm sure if you loved the article presented by the OP, then you'll definitely love perusing this website, especially through the "advocacy" and "awareness items" sections. This is the group that even sends people to schools to do full presentations on the power of music education when a program is on the chopping block. There is sooo much we as educators can use from this resource, but many of us neglect.

MENC is The National Association for Music Education

:tongue:

I know the website and association name are correct as you've posted...weird.

Literally MENC is Music Educators National Convention (or is it conference?)

Music Educators National Conference.

:tongue:

I know the website and association name are correct as you've posted...weird.

No, I think their brain was heading towards "National Association of Music Merchants" when they wrote that.