Critical evidence for arts in education

Music for All Critical Evidence: How the Arts Benefit Student Achievement

This isn't directly about junior drum corps, and yet it is...because what happens in the schools eventually will and does affect the drum corps community...quite directly.

I encourage all to download this study and contemplate it. Send it to others and encourage them to read it. Use it when you hear of school boards thinking of eliminating arts programs. Present it to doubters who question the value of the arts in schools.

I believe there isn't a soul marching drum corps who wouldn't be positively or negatively affected somehow by the presence or absence of the arts in their community.

We as drum corps fans do not live in a vacuum. I think this study aptly demonstrates that.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Music for All Critical Evidence: How the Arts Benefit Student Achievement

This isn't directly about junior drum corps, and yet it is...because what happens in the schools eventually will and does affect the drum corps community...quite directly.

I encourage all to download this study and contemplate it. Send it to others and encourage them to read it. Use it when you hear of school boards thinking of eliminating arts programs. Present it to doubters who question the value of the arts in schools.

I believe there isn't a soul marching drum corps who wouldn't be positively or negatively affected somehow by the presence or absence of the arts in their community.

We as drum corps fans do not live in a vacuum. I think this study aptly demonstrates that.

Just finished reading.

I think I'm gonna go thank my parents for letting me choose band over soccer in 6th grade.

Thanks boo! :tongue:

Just finished reading.

I think I'm gonna go thank my parents for letting me choose band over soccer in 6th grade...

:)

I seem to remember something about a yahoo news article several weeks ago that stated that something around the area of over 80% of Americans with graduate degrees were involved in musical endeavors while in high school.

My former band director wrote about the importance of education in the arts in a thesis he wrote for his masters class. He researched about many top universities such as Duke, Harvard, and Yale, speaking to admissions directors about the importance of applicants taking some sort of arts class in high school. Every university stated that applicants who have some sort of training in the arts had an inherent advantage over applicants who do not.

I seem to remember something about a yahoo news article several weeks ago that stated that something around the area of over 80% of Americans with graduate degrees were involved in musical endeavors while in high school.

My former band director wrote about the importance of education in the arts in a thesis he wrote for his masters class. He researched about many top universities such as Duke, Harvard, and Yale, speaking to admissions directors about the importance of applicants taking some sort of arts class in high school. Every university stated that applicants who have some sort of training in the arts had an inherent advantage over applicants who do not.

What I was most fascinated to hear was how medical schools have found that musicians overall do much better in medical training.

I work at a private school in which all students, K-12, have art, music and movement integrated into their school work. When I interviewed there I was blown away by the way the students engage in conversation, approach adults, and so much more. Now, it's not just the artistic work that makes this school click. There is a very specific view of human development behind the pedagogy and it takes a lot of effort to really grasp it enough to do it justice in the classroom. I've been there 9 years and I'm still learning.

Now, we don't have award-winning caliber music programs. That's not the focus, and honestly I'm thrilled by that. The focus is to give every student a deep enough experience in music (and art, etc.) to help their bodies and brains process their work. From time to time I have students who excel on their own and we encourage that. But mostly it's about giving their bodies rhythm and breath, giving their brains artistic expression, and giving their soul something of beauty. (and by soul I don't mean anything particularly religious - it's just the way of saying "that thing that makes us human and not lizards or cacti.")

I LOVE my job!

BUMP

I am sort of new to the forum thing, and I was just wondering if someone could tell me what it means when someone posts the word "BUMP"? Thank you, and sorry if this is off topic...