Toe Heights

I kind of have a problem. This past weekend I auditioned for The Cavaliers and I'm going to callbacks, but I didn't have a very good audition, musically or visually (nerves I guess, I don't know), and everything I was counted off for in my audition was like stupid stuff that I can fix easily. Except for one thing. Toe Height. No matter how hard I jam my toe up as high as I can, I just CANNOT get it any higher. I'm not overweight or anything, I'm pretty fit so it's not cankles lol. It's just that it's stopped by that tendon or whatever on the top of your ankle and it won't go any higher. I mean, if I fix everything but my toe heights, I'm sure I'll still be in good shape, but if anyone has any streches or anything I can do to help increase toe height, I'd really appreciate it.

something like that I'm thinking isn't necessarily how high you can stick up your toe, but exactly how you're moving your legs and how you're positioning heel upon contact with the floor. It could be something as simple as weight balance (leaning too far forward when planting your forward foot) in which case you'll want to focus more on how you balance yourself. Take a glass of water and hold it in front of you as you practice marching and try and keep the water as calm as possible. Usually, when you can keep your weight balanced between your front and backside, you can plant your foot a little bit farther back on your heel.

Can't say this is the solution, but it's something to surely look out for. Just make sure you're not shifting your weight to your back side too much as you'll look like you're trying to sit on a toilet or those "keep on truckin" guys or something.

I hope this helps :)

You might want to see if you can keep your toes up longer when you move instead of just getting them higher.

High toes also isn't necessarily just how much you can flex your foot. An easy way to add a little to the toe height/roll is to not just flex the foot but also the toes. Force the toes to pull back as well(up to the top of the inside of your shoe). Toe height can also be affected by what part of the heel is actually hitting the ground. Experiment with that and you'll find the happy medium between toe height and balance(which is essential to even considering getting your toes higher). Hope this helps some.

I kind of have a problem. This past weekend I auditioned for The Cavaliers and I'm going to callbacks, but I didn't have a very good audition, musically or visually (nerves I guess, I don't know), and everything I was counted off for in my audition was like stupid stuff that I can fix easily. Except for one thing. Toe Height. No matter how hard I jam my toe up as high as I can, I just CANNOT get it any higher. I'm not overweight or anything, I'm pretty fit so it's not cankles lol. It's just that it's stopped by that tendon or whatever on the top of your ankle and it won't go any higher. I mean, if I fix everything but my toe heights, I'm sure I'll still be in good shape, but if anyone has any streches or anything I can do to help increase toe height, I'd really appreciate it.

I taught marching for about fifteen years and yours is a common problem. There are two things you can do to help the situation.

1) Find a curb that is about 4 inches or so high, face the curb and put your toes on it, do this one foot at time. Now let the muscles stretch until it feels comfortable. slowly move your foot up the curb about a half inch at a time, always letting the muscles stretch before moving again. Do this a couple of times a day, you won't be able to do much at first but after a few days you will be amazed at how much higher you can get your toes. Keep stretching those muscles everyday, it will also help reduce injuries when you start rehearsals.

2) This sounds funny but will help you keep your toes up when moving. Get some medical tape and some dried beans, something that's about a quarter inch around. Cut a piece of tape about the width of your shoe and put three or four beans on it. Put the tape with the beans in your shoes where your toes go. Now go practice marching...slowly, it will be uncomfortable to keep your toes down for long. You will be creating a muscle memory that will help you when it comes time to audition again. Obviously don't do this in a real rehearsal situation, you'll just look funny and maybe hurt yourself.

toe height for me was something that just got better with time. all of these ideas are great. if you wanna build up your shin muscles a little more, when you are home playing, mark time by lifting your toes off of the ground. That'll give those muscles more exercise

Thanks everyone. I don't quite understand the beans thing (clarify? maybe I read it wrong...) but I have been doing the curb thing, just not as much as I probably should have been, but I will start.

The bean thing is just a way to force yourself to keep the front of your foot off ground a little longer than you normally would. If you think about having a rock in your shoe you'll know what I mean. The less time you spend with your toes on the ground the easier it is to get them up again. I know it sounds weird but try it, you'll see what I mean. If you need more help just send me a message through my profile.

Another exercise you could do would be to plie, making sure your heels never leave the ground. Go as low as you can and hold it for 20 seconds, then relax. Repeat 2 more times, and do this once in the morning and once at night. Try and lower yourself just a little every time you do it, and hold that position, and again, make sure your heels never leave the ground and try to keep your back straight.

The curb one helps too.