2008 Drum Corps Associates Exercise Challenge

Who's in?  

26 members have voted

1. 1. Would you be willing to compete in the 2008 DCA Exercise Challenge?

• Yes
    • No
    • Maybe in a month or two....

New Year's Day is a week away... it's resolution time!

I'd like to organize a little contest for 2008. (I find that public reporting and friendly competition help keep me motivated.) I'm open to suggestions for changes until Jan 1, when I hope the competition will start.

Here's a general sketch of my idea.

Especially in senior corps, we know that physical fitness can be an issue, right?

Apple and Nike have combined to create a really neat product called the Nike + iPod sport kit. This $30 device plugs into an iPod nano and tracks how far and how fast you run/walk/march! with audio and visual feedback. Then, when you synchronize your iPod, your workout data gets uploaded to a website (NikePlus), where not only can you see your progress (distance and speed for each run and over time), but you can compare your running data against people around the world... and compete with them!

Y'all like competition, right?

So... I propose (and have set up) a competition on the NikePlus website. The dual purposes of this competition are:

• To encourage as many senior corps members to get out and exercise as possible.
  • To encourage each member who accepts the challenge to exercise regularly and often.

To that end, I have set up a "challenge" on the NikePlus website.

The 2008 DCA Exercise Challenge

The challenge begins Jan 1, 2008 and ends at midnight Sep 6, 2008...DCA Prelims day! You can join the competition at any time during that timespan, but... you and your corps will fall behind quickly if you don't jump into the game early.

I have created teams for each and every senior corps mentioned on DCA's website (and I am willing to create a separate junior corps challenge or alumni corps challenge if there is interest, and/or create teams for corps that haven't made it to the field yet). You may exercise for the senior corps of your choice (one and only one).

To balance the two goals mentioned above, I propose the following formula for determining the winning corps:

50% × (corps total miles) ÷ (maximum corps total miles) +

50% × (average miles per team member) ÷ (maximum average miles per team member)

That is, half the score will be determined by which corps runs the greatest total distance (which should reward corps with many members participating), and half the score will be determined by the average distance per runner (which allows corps with fewer participants to stay in the game by just working harder per person).

The beauty of this is that you can exercise whenever and wherever you wish; the device and the website will take care of tracking everyone's totals. The only rule is that you should be honest about what constitutes exercise. Cleaning the house or going to the grocery store is not activity for the purpose of exercise, and you should not record such activity. However, running, walking, and marching are aerobically intense activities and therefore are legal to record.

If you are interested in participating in this challenge, you will need the following things:

• A computer with an Internet connection (obviously you'd need such a thing to read this, right?)
  • iTunes, a free download from Apple.
  • An Apple iPod nano. Any version of the nano will work. The new 3G nanos with video cost about $130 for the 4 gig version, and about $180 for the 8 gig version, but you should be able to get older revisions on eBay and in stores for even less.
  • The Nike + iPod Sport Kit, $29 from Apple.
  • A pair of running shoes:
    • Nike running shoes with this logo: 135.jpg have an actual receptacle in the sole of the shoe that will hold the sensor that tracks your progress, but...
    • If you prefer some other brand of shoes, you can purchase a ShoePouch for $7 that will hold the sensor on your shoelaces instead.

That may seem like a lot, but think of all the drum corps you can listen to (or watch!) while you're exercising, right?

If you are interested in joining the challenge, please contact me, and I will send you an email invitation.

I think this will be fun; hope you guys agree.

Edited by JimBurnell

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If I were marching somewhere and had any weight to lose, I'd be in. I just need to give up the nicotine and start running. :satisfied:

I gave up the nicotine 9 years ago Jan 10th and am seriously dieting right now, but unfortunately have no cartilage in my knees so running is out for me. However, there's a sweet lake a few blocks from me that is a 3 mile walk if you go all the way around it. I'm also on a big weight loss kick - I've lost 12 pounds so far. I would really love to do this, but I don't think I can afford to buy all the stuff right now. I might jump in at some point this year if I can get it together because it sounds like a great way to continue to motivate myself.

Edited by SaraNYC

If I were marching somewhere and had any weight to lose, I'd be in. I just need to give up the nicotine and start running. :satisfied:

I have been on a year-long quest to lose weight. Since April 1, 2007, I have dropped over 90 lbs, from 287 lbs to 195.6 lbs as of last weekend. (I'm on the up-swing for the last 2 weeks because I am visiting the parents, and I just didn't want to worry about it so much during the holidays.) By April 1, I intend to weigh somewhere between 155 lbs and 165 lbs and to become a Weight Watchers lifetime member soon after.

I've been doing this all through dieting alone, basically. I got the iPod tracker specifically so that I would have a good, easy, reliable way to see my long-term running progress without having to do a lot of paperwork...and to have a way to compete with friends and colleagues.

I've organized weight loss challenges before within drum corps (Skinny Pirate 2005 at Bucs, Cowboy Slim in 2007 at Frontier), and I always wanted to organize a multi-corps competition. But the amount of paperwork involved would just be staggering, and there'd be too many different scales out there.

That's why I think this would be so cool. The Nike + iPod Sport Kit plus the website takes care of all the paperwork, AND ensures that everyone is playing on the same field. Plus it doesn't leave out people who don't need to lose weight -- anyone can benefit by exercising.

And even if you have bad knees and don't want to run, the device can track walking too. Yeah, it will take longer to make up the same distance as the runners, but if you commit to walking consistently nearly every day of the week, you'll still probably keep up with or go farther than the runners.

I have been on a year-long quest to lose weight. Since April 1, 2007, I have dropped over 90 lbs, from 287 lbs to 195.6 lbs as of last weekend. (I'm on the up-swing for the last 2 weeks because I am visiting the parents, and I just didn't want to worry about it so much during the holidays.) By April 1, I intend to weigh somewhere between 155 lbs and 165 lbs and to become a Weight Watchers lifetime member soon after.

I've been doing this all through dieting alone, basically. I got the iPod tracker specifically so that I would have a good, easy, reliable way to see my long-term running progress without having to do a lot of paperwork...and to have a way to compete with friends and colleagues.

I've organized weight loss challenges before within drum corps (Skinny Pirate 2005 at Bucs, Cowboy Slim in 2007 at Frontier), and I always wanted to organize a multi-corps competition. But the amount of paperwork involved would just be staggering, and there'd be too many different scales out there.

That's why I think this would be so cool. The Nike + iPod Sport Kit plus the website takes care of all the paperwork, AND ensures that everyone is playing on the same field. Plus it doesn't leave out people who don't need to lose weight -- anyone can benefit by exercising.

And even if you have bad knees and don't want to run, the device can track walking too. Yeah, it will take longer to make up the same distance as the runners, but if you commit to walking consistently nearly every day of the week, you'll still probably keep up with or go farther than the runners.

I have to do something like Skinny Pirate again. I lost a good amount of weight (something like 50 pounds) and came in 3rd (behind Ralph and yourself). Hopefully having another summer of drum corps will help out!

Best of luck with your competition Jim!

Prelims is August 30th.

Wow, ok. So it is... Thanks for pointing that out.

Nobody's PMed me yet to compete...

Wow! Way to go!

A noble cause too. I don't march on the field anymore.

I'm impressed with the weight loss. A couple of weeks before Thanksgiving my doctor told me that my blood sugars have been high and I have hypertension. Next step is insulin, she told me. Also told me to lose 60lbs! Seems impossible. I'm depressed about it, but glad to hear of your success. :whistle:

Does it have to be the NIKE + IPOD? Hubby uses Forerunner 305 garmin to track his runs/rides... I know it syncs to his computer and he could share the data with you.... Plus I still have a real problem with NIKE for not dumping VICK the moment it was discovered he was involved with dogfighting... in any way.

Does he have to march this summer to count or can he be alumni? Oh - yeah... I guess you can't run any marathons if you've got a show every weekend....

New Year's Day is a week away... it's resolution time!

I'd like to organize a little contest for 2008. (I find that public reporting and friendly competition help keep me motivated.) I'm open to suggestions for changes until Jan 1, when I hope the competition will start.

Here's a general sketch of my idea.

Especially in senior corps, we know that physical fitness can be an issue, right?

Apple and Nike have combined to create a really neat product called the Nike + iPod sport kit. This $30 device plugs into an iPod nano and tracks how far and how fast you run/walk/march! with audio and visual feedback. Then, when you synchronize your iPod, your workout data gets uploaded to a website (NikePlus), where not only can you see your progress (distance and speed for each run and over time), but you can compare your running data against people around the world... and compete with them!

Y'all like competition, right?

So... I propose (and have set up) a competition on the NikePlus website. The dual purposes of this competition are:

• To encourage as many senior corps members to get out and exercise as possible.
  • To encourage each member who accepts the challenge to exercise regularly and often.

To that end, I have set up a "challenge" on the NikePlus website.

The 2008 DCA Exercise Challenge

The challenge begins Jan 1, 2008 and ends at midnight Sep 6, 2008...DCA Prelims day! You can join the competition at any time during that timespan, but... you and your corps will fall behind quickly if you don't jump into the game early.

I have created teams for each and every senior corps mentioned on DCA's website (and I am willing to create a separate junior corps challenge or alumni corps challenge if there is interest, and/or create teams for corps that haven't made it to the field yet). You may exercise for the senior corps of your choice (one and only one).

To balance the two goals mentioned above, I propose the following formula for determining the winning corps:

50% × (corps total miles) ÷ (maximum corps total miles) +

50% × (average miles per team member) ÷ (maximum average miles per team member)

That is, half the score will be determined by which corps runs the greatest total distance (which should reward corps with many members participating), and half the score will be determined by the average distance per runner (which allows corps with fewer participants to stay in the game by just working harder per person).

The beauty of this is that you can exercise whenever and wherever you wish; the device and the website will take care of tracking everyone's totals. The only rule is that you should be honest about what constitutes exercise. Cleaning the house or going to the grocery store is not activity for the purpose of exercise, and you should not record such activity. However, running, walking, and marching are aerobically intense activities and therefore are legal to record.

If you are interested in participating in this challenge, you will need the following things:

• A computer with an Internet connection (obviously you'd need such a thing to read this, right?)
  • iTunes, a free download from Apple.
  • An Apple iPod nano. Any version of the nano will work. The new 3G nanos with video cost about $130 for the 4 gig version, and about $180 for the 8 gig version, but you should be able to get older revisions on eBay and in stores for even less.
  • The Nike + iPod Sport Kit, $29 from Apple.
  • A pair of running shoes:
    • Nike running shoes with this logo: 135.jpg have an actual receptacle in the sole of the shoe that will hold the sensor that tracks your progress, but...
    • If you prefer some other brand of shoes, you can purchase a ShoePouch for $7 that will hold the sensor on your shoelaces instead.

That may seem like a lot, but think of all the drum corps you can listen to (or watch!) while you're exercising, right?

If you are interested in joining the challenge, please contact me, and I will send you an email invitation.

I think this will be fun; hope you guys agree.

Does it have to be the NIKE + IPOD? Hubby uses Forerunner 305 garmin to track his runs/rides... I know it syncs to his computer and he could share the data with you.... Plus I still have a real problem with NIKE for not dumping VICK the moment it was discovered he was involved with dogfighting... in any way.

Does he have to march this summer to count or can he be alumni? Oh - yeah... I guess you can't run any marathons if you've got a show every weekend....

The Nike site aggregates and tracks the data for teams (and it's much cheaper than a real GPS solution), so I was kinda hoping we'd have everyone on the same system.

He can be alumni, but you do bring up a good point, that it'd be hard to keep up to people who can spend their weekends running instead of marching... but I guess I'll say it's ok.