Top Recruiting Corps and Auditions

I don't know... if you look at audition numbers vs. placement history and/or placement of the previous year, it doesn't always coincide. There's more to it... it's about philosophy.

For example, people go to Blue Devils because they like their style and approach to the activity, which is (from what I hear), intense but generally relaxed - laid back, even.

People, simply by what they hear or secondhandedly observe, develop certain concepts, images, or impressions of different corps' philosophies (which are not always completely accurate, mind you), and choose to audition for a corps based on how their own personality fits in (or doesn't) with that corps' philosophy.

edit: This opinion, in retrospect, probably applies to kids who are already very familiar with drum corps or are already marching, perhaps in a lower echelon corps. The drum corps "noobs" probably make their audition decision more based on which corps' shows they like from previous years.

Edited by Penguin

Looking at placements from the previous year almost always benefits the top corps, my focus on this discussion is more about the corps lower down the pole. The tops corps year in and year out almost always have great music and gain the benefit of the previous years performance. But again with few exceptions these corps music carrys them consistantly. Look at it from a different perspective. You're in band and have never heard a drum corp, based on the music and general effect what corps would you go to, the answer will most likely be one of the top corps. Once you add the visual portion the decision is easier.

For the corps lower on the pole, who is most likely to get fed first...My guess is the corp with the most crowd pleasing music. Call it hype, but the lower corp that consistantly produces good music will be the next corp consistantly mentioned as a rising star. Ala Bluecoats, Crown...Like these corps they will no longer be considered a participant but more of a threat.

IMO the focus for these corps should be on the music first, that should be the building block of all corps seeking world class status and the pick of the litter.

I don't know if kids actually dwell over the prospect of winning a title. The ones who win don't seem to gloat over it, and the ones who don't shed no tears in their cereal either. Everybody works their butt off. I guess it all comes down to what corps they like. Music, style, relatives, freinds, instructors, band directors, parents, money, location etc.

I think these days the staff is the biggest factor in audition numbers. Key names comand a HUGE following, and corps don't announce new staff hires a full month before audition camps for no reason.

History might have something to do with it. The Troopers are a good example. They went inactive in '06 and bounced back in '07 because they're a Drum Corps version of the NY Yankees or Dallas Cowboys.......everybody knows who they are.

Actually, the good membership numbers for Troop '07 are more due to a very motivated, organized brass staff. Some people came back because of who the corps used to be, but not that many.

I'd say the audition numbers are affected most by:

1 - prior year placement or perceived placement (a very popular 5th place will draw better than a reviled 3rd place)

2 - Staff organization

3 - history

But 1 & 2 comprise about 80% of the reasons.

I agree that previous year placement is the big factor, however there are the few corps that seem to not do it for competition, but rather for the greatness of DC. Corps like SCV, Bluecoats, Blue Knights, Madison Scouts, are all household names because, yes their history, but also because they are just so great. It seems that they just compete for the hell of it and there's no matter if they win or not. That's why I really really want to do SCV :D

I think location plays a big part as well in the choice of corps in some places's. Take Pioneer for example, they stuggle every year for numbers. I think this is in part by it's musical selection, but more in part to where they are located, namly in betwen 3 powerhouse (numbers wise) corps, being Phantom, Cavies, and Madison. And now there are even more selections within decent driving distances like Blue Stars, Colts, and Blue Coats. With the draw that those groups control. it dosen't leave alot left over for Pioneer, even though they have great staff, programs, and scheduals it's still hard to draw people in the middle of all of that. And when you're placing like Pioneer, it's hard to draw out of state/country memebership. It's like a never ending cycle.