getting a hotel in San Antonio

This year I would love to stay somewhere in downtown San Antonio when I'm there for the Southwestern Championship. I would like to do this via Priceline as I know many people who have gotten great deals with it. Mostly I hear of people waiting until the week check-in to do this but I worry that with the Texas Band Masters Association Convention being the same weekend and hotels being full, I may not get such a great deal. I'm just not sure if I should bid early, like now, or wait until just before. If anyone has done this before, your advise would be greatly appreciated. ...and by the way, I've never used Priceline before. So, if anyone has some general tips that they would like to share, I would appreciate that also.

Edited by mark_s_686

This year I would love to stay somewhere in downtown San Antonio when I'm there for the Southwestern Championship. I would like to do this via Priceline as I know many people who have gotten great deals with it. Mostly I hear of people waiting until the week check-in to do this but I worry that with the Texas Band Masters Association Convention being the same weekend and hotels being full, I may not get such a great deal. I'm just not sure if I should bid early, like now, or wait until just before. If anyone has done this before, your advise would be greatly appreciated. ...and by the way, I've never used Priceline before. So, if anyone has some general tips that they would like to share, I would appreciate that also.

I would just call the hotel ahead of time and book it through them saves you hassle and in the end probably money. And I live in San Antonio way on the northside by sea world and have never had any problems at all driving to the dome for the event as long as you leave early enough so to save even more money you dont ahve to stay downtown. Then you probably can just ride a bus or tram down to the event, dont take my word on that last part. IF transportation is the reason you would like to stay downtown then I would just go ahead and book it now to be safe. All the hotels downtown are pretty pricey to start out with.

Mark, if you'd like roomies for SA, I can probably bring a couple good guys with me--nicer room in closer for a little bit less if you like splitting the cost up a bit. PM me if you're interested. I met up with a couple guys last year I met on DCP and we hung out at SW Champs...great guys, great stories. We were all three in the mid-90's, so if that's not your time period you might want to move on down the chat line! Just a friendly warning!

Don't know anything about Priceline, but booking early is a great idea. That being said, I booked week before last year and was out on I-35 inside the loop...really easy access if you don't mind paying for parking, which I believe you have to do anyways. Gotta try a pizza place I heard about last year...have to turn the large-large to an angle to make it out the door. Texas, you know.

I work in a hotel to pay for life and drum corps ( We interrupt this regularly scheduled post to invite anyone to please feel free to read my sponsor page and consider donating to my 6th and final summer. We now return to the post) I would definitely recommend using Priceline. Our regular room for a night is 64.99 plus tax, our priceline customers are robbing us at 23.00 plus tax. We hate priceline, but would recommend it to anyone not staying at my hotel. :shutup:

I have found a few sites dedicated to using priceline and hotwire. People mostly just report what they paid for what hotel. Almost all 4 stars in downtown SA go for under $100 on priceline. The only times people report problems (in all cities) are when there is a convention in town. I'm going to start bidding now, but I'm not sure if I'll get the deals others have reported as most of them are had within a week or two of check-in.

If you a history buff and not looking for the cheapest place to stay, the Menger is within walking didtance to the Alamo dome. Legend has it that Theodore Roosevelt recruited for the Rough Riders in the bar.

You can also catch the trolley right at that Red Roof and ride it to the Alamodome if you dont want to walk.

I've used Priceline for years, and have gotten some incredible deals, including $120 for a wonderful four-star hotel in midtown Manhattan Thanksgiving week a couple of years ago.

My advice would be to go ahead and book a refundable hotel at the best rate you can find on the hotel's website, then begin placing Priceline bids. I've found that the best deals on Priceline won't probably be available until just a few weeks before your travel dates, but it never hurts to go ahead and begin bidding now. I've had good luck by first checking hotwire.com, and whatever price they offer for the level of hotel in the part of town you're seeking, under bid that by about 20 percent on Priceline.

Hope that helps.