Brass playing resolutions

Martybucs

get back to rehearsing every day, with a comprehensive routine (my December work schedule is really disruptive to the "important" stuff I want do)

more sight-reading

learn to play the mellophone again; enough so that I won't be totally embarrassed playing alongside my son.

as far as the standard resolution on here... I'm not as ambitious as some of you...

...so I'm just going to try and suck less :thumbup:

Edited by brassomaniac

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I need to get back to some basics and practice more often. I'm gonna try. Also try to be better at improv.

Figure out what's wrong with my second valve, (keeps sticking unpredictably), part of the problem is it's a Yamaha.

Resolution:

To make myself available as a Civilian Taps Bugler Volunteer as often as possible.

-Learn higher notes. I play tuba, and I need to get up there sometimes!

-Work on my tone. I'm the only tuba in my band, so they need me to step up and deliver a sound.

-practice more contra

-get my audition music in order and practice it

-quit telling myself that my tuba sucks, cause the thing got me to all-state

-Actually know my all-state music before I have to play it with the band

-start ignoring my other tuba players when they finally decide to get new stuff for their instruments, and be happy that I'm the only one that owns my own horn

-hopefully have a solo worked up for I&E this fall

• 2 months later...

I planned on practicing every day and now gain a lot more range, so far, half of that is intact.

As far as resolutions. Now that I have sufficient recording gear, I need to actually record something. And ultimately get a better microphone. At least one better suited to recording brass, not vocals.

And I should focus more on a single brass instrument, instead of the non-specific embochure I seemed to have developed by trying to play every brass voice used in drumcorps. I guess the Iron Chops I&E competition will have to wait a few more years. I should probably start doing my routine again so I can get that magic tone back. Instead of just being able to play well and sound sort of decent.

I've been recording rehearsals as power tethers allow. I'm hoping to get ahold of a Korg MR-1000 (and maybe a Grace Lunatec V3) to take the tether out of the equation.

But as far as progress goes. I just got a pair of Avenson STO-2's. Better suited to brass. Although maybe not great for field shows as the OMNI pattern has exagerated distance drop off. Go past the hash and don't make the CD. But these really sound nice on brass. I can't wait to give them a whirl this coming weekend. Hopefully we opt to stay indoors and close to a power tether.

And I guess I stayed true to the other half. The tuba's been collecting dust. I kept that trumpet packed away since new years. And have played mostly Euph this year. Although now that I have new mics, I've been breaking out every little noise maker I have to see how it sounds on these.

I even got a Bohdran a few months back. But I still have no idea how to play that drum (yet). And I think this one might be a little big, even for a man of my girth. Pretty cool sounding as far as drums go. The things you get exposed to while playing in bars after the great lakes brewfest.

• 1 month later...

I never made any specific resolutions for brass playing, and although I didn't know it last year, I'm playing far more this year than any time in the past. I play every Sunday, as well as every second or third Saturday, the occasional Wednesday and most Thursdays.

Currently involved in 3 groups (Grenadiers, Spirit of 69, Capital Ensemble), although CE decided to go inactive for the remainder of the 2008 "season". I was already planning to do a mini-corps spin-off of CE, and so it's taken the place of Capital Ensemble at the moment.

My current resolution is to get B-flat and G instruments to play in tune together :thumbup:

My current resolution is to get B-flat and G instruments to play in tune together :thumbup:

Hmmmmm, "in tune", start with the players.

Timbre may not be possible because they sound so different. Not saying it can't be done.

Good luck, though.

And I guess I stayed true to the other half. The tuba's been collecting dust. I kept that trumpet packed away since new years. And have played mostly Euph this year.

And then circumstances change. Now I'm playing trumpet this season.

But I did get that Korg MR-1000. With the Korg the distance roll off isn't quite as bad. I can even use it to hear the neighbors dogs at night. Several acres down the road. Some of that might be the difference between 16 bit and 24 bit recording. Nice to hear all the details of the source in the recording. I just need some more substantial windscreens for this region.