HalloweenieMeAv.jpg

Here's the parachute without the hornline underneath?? :cool:

Edited by Paq

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

77dci_149.jpg

The Conga's in 1977 Left conga is Buffalo Bob (with pants) and next to him Jim Kane who told me they weighed 60 lbs.

ParachuteFlags.jpg

Close up of hornline playing under the chute. 1977

Parachute77dci_140.jpg

High up shot

Wonderful photos, Wendy! I have so much respect for what you did. :cool:

Edited by byline

HalloweenieMeAv.jpg

Here's the parachute without the hornline underneath?? :rolleyes:

You are still wonderfully creative.

I was technique, but was able to be a little creative later. Pam was more creative but with the grid paper visualizing on paper. Good team.

What I cannot understand is how we became the people we were, you, me, Kelly, Debbie, Cheryl, Dawn and others. I remember guard captains doing drill and maybe become instructors or drum majors. We had rifle captains that took care of their line and maybe became guard captains or instructors. I understand now that we had alot of girls for a while, but it seems we were busy in winter. Then we would get an M&M and/or guard instructor in the spring. For myself, what is a drum major to do when the horn instructor is taking the rehearsals? I just taught technical for guard if we didn't do winter guard. How was it for you?

I'm curious because I started with a mixed corps and ended with all girls and you and Kelly started with an all girls corps and ended in a corps with mixed but we had parallel experiences.

Edited by lindap

You are still wonderfully creative.

I was technique, but was able to be a little creative later. Pam was more creative but with the grid paper visualizing on paper. Good team.

What I cannot understand is how we became the people we were, you, me, Kelly, Debbie, Cheryl, Dawn and others. I remember guard captains doing drill and maybe become instructors or drum majors. We had rifle captains that took care of their line and maybe became guard captains or instructors. I understand now that we had alot of girls for a while, but it seems we were busy in winter. Then we would get an M&M and/or guard instructor in the spring. For myself, what is a drum major to do when the horn instructor is taking the rehearsals? I just taught technical for guard if we didn't do winter guard. How was it for you?

I'm curious because I started with a mixed corps and ended with all girls and you and Kelly started with an all girls corps and ended in a corps with mixed but we had parallel experiences.

Linda, I wish I could say my foray into the instructing world was a intiated by a really profound desire to give back or something like that, but it wasn't. It was more a case of that's what the rest of the group I hung out with was doing so I did it too.

If I compare my DM years to the years marching colour guard and if I ever marched again it would be in the line. I was very honoured to be asked to become DM at St. John's and was thrilled to be in the role when we won Nationals in 77. However the teamwork required to perform the precision work in the flag line is what I really enjoyed.

I think as an instructor I was adequate - I preferred cleaning over design. I did the winterguard thing for a short while and really enjoyed it. Nothing thrills me more these days than seeing a flag feature done without ticks. My time in Seneca and under Wendy's instruction helped me with that aspect.

The whole going from an all-girl to a co-ed corps was weird but something I got used to very quickly. We weren't so shy in St. John's about where we got changed etc. so that wasn't a problem when travelling with Seneca. So I guess I'm not surprised that our experiences weren't so different after all.

As an interesting side-note, I do believe my DM years have helped me in my business roles - I'm Senior Business Analyst with coaching and mentoring responsibilities. In order to get the role I had to 'train' the interviewers in something of my choice. I went out on a limb and borrowed two flags from Ventures and taught them how to do drop spins........

Kelly

Linda, I wish I could say my foray into the instructing world was a intiated by a really profound desire to give back or something like that, but it wasn't. It was more a case of that's what the rest of the group I hung out with was doing so I did it too.

If I compare my DM years to the years marching colour guard and if I ever marched again it would be in the line. I was very honoured to be asked to become DM at St. John's and was thrilled to be in the role when we won Nationals in 77. However the teamwork required to perform the precision work in the flag line is what I really enjoyed.

I think as an instructor I was adequate - I preferred cleaning over design. I did the winterguard thing for a short while and really enjoyed it. Nothing thrills me more these days than seeing a flag feature done without ticks. My time in Seneca and under Wendy's instruction helped me with that aspect.

The whole going from an all-girl to a co-ed corps was weird but something I got used to very quickly. We weren't so shy in St. John's about where we got changed etc. so that wasn't a problem when travelling with Seneca. So I guess I'm not surprised that our experiences weren't so different after all.

As an interesting side-note, I do believe my DM years have helped me in my business roles - I'm Senior Business Analyst with coaching and mentoring responsibilities. In order to get the role I had to 'train' the interviewers in something of my choice. I went out on a limb and borrowed two flags from Ventures and taught them how to do drop spins........

Kelly

Thanks for your insight, Kel. I started as flag in a corps that had all female guard only. I enjoyed being in the line. I looked up to our captain, Carol.

Later, girls were added to the horn line. I was DM for 4 years alone. I think I got a co-DM in 75. I also was honoured but 4 years is a long time. What kept me going was winter guard and if no winter guard that year, I taught marching or flags.

With all girls, people start as flag, then tri, then snare or start on horn and go to guard, as examples. We started a winter guard association in 1979, lasted until 1988, the year of the winter Olympics. I helped in an administrative role, but really enjoyed watching the guards. Some of our girls taught winter guard, 2 drummers and 1 captain that I recall.

DM years and business? I’m a systems analyst that was providing classroom training for business analysts over the last few years. We recently built online distance learning and the visual presentation is good, based on feedback. Parallel experiences. If I'm ever in Ontario, I would like to meet you.

Linda (ps. go to the Toronto Optimists Alumni web site. There's some nice Seneca Optimists photos there and some new ones too).

Edited by lindap

Thanks for your insight, Kel. I started as flag in a corps that had all female guard only. I enjoyed being in the line. I looked up to our captain, Carol.

Later, girls were added to the horn line. I was DM for 4 years alone. I think I got a co-DM in 75. I also was honoured but 4 years is a long time. What kept me going was winter guard and if no winter guard that year, I taught marching or flags.

With all girls, people start as flag, then tri, then snare or start on horn and go to guard, as examples. We started a winter guard association in 1979, lasted until 1988, the year of the winter Olympics. I helped in an administrative role, but really enjoyed watching the guards. Some of our girls taught winter guard, 2 drummers and 1 captain that I recall.

DM years and business? I’m a systems analyst that was providing classroom training for business analysts over the last few years. We recently built online distance learning and the visual presentation is good, based on feedback. Parallel experiences. If I'm ever in Ontario, I would like to meet you.

Linda (ps. go to the Toronto Optimists Alumni web site. There's some nice Seneca Optimists photos there and some new ones too).

How bizarre is this? We're both in an analytical role with training responsibilities.

I'll email you separately as it looks like our mutual experiences etc. have sort of side-tracked this thread.

I have seen the Optimists sight and check it every now and again because they're always posting new photos.

Kelly

How bizarre is this?

Have to jump in here because I'm Kel's husband, and she's selling herself short on her instructional capabilities. I taught with her at Conqueror II and IMHO she's a great instructor.

As for the bizarre connections - after I was aged out I married a former Optimist Knights member. My then wife and I were at a show and she was telling me to quit ogling the St. Johns drum major. Yep - it was Kelly. I didn't actually meet Kelly until after I was seperated from my first wife and teaching Conqueror. Took a while but eventually I met and married the woman of my dreams....

Have to jump in here because I'm Kel's husband, and she's selling herself short on her instructional capabilities. I taught with her at Conqueror II and IMHO she's a great instructor.

As for the bizarre connections - after I was aged out I married a former Optimist Knights member. My then wife and I were at a show and she was telling me to quit ogling the St. Johns drum major. Yep - it was Kelly. I didn't actually meet Kelly until after I was seperated from my first wife and teaching Conqueror. Took a while but eventually I met and married the woman of my dreams....

How cool is that?!!!!!

They had a nice corps in the early 70's (St John's). It seems Canada had alot of OPTI corps...Opti Knights, Opti Lancers, etc. I miss the old days with all the corps from NY and Canada.