DCI is asking so

DCI sent newsletters asking for customers and fans to submit their feedback regarding the Proposals for the Rules Congress.

So get out there and let your voice be heard! I'm glad they are giving us this opportunity to do so!

Here's a link for you!

http://www.dci.org/news/feedback.cfm

Yup....I sent them this:

One of the hallmarks of drum corps since I first started marching in 1964 has been it's desire to move forward and improve the activity on as many fronts as possible. This includes the equipment, the show designs, judging standards, member experience...just about anything I can think of. One of the reasons DCI was formed was so that the corps could control their own destinies.

Along those lines, I totally agree with permitting electronic instruments; IMO they should have been permitted before this.

I am not sure about eliminating the 2nd percussion judge, though I understand the rationale. Maybe better education of the judges will solve the perceived issue without eliminating a potentially valuable input from that second judge.

I am totally against any effort to tuirn away from progress and move backwards in time, hence I am 1000% against the rule proposals that limit or eliminate amplification. To me, that goes against the very nature and history of drum corps.

I can recall attending the 1969 VFW Nats as a 15 year old audience member and being aghast at the damage done to the Boston Crusader's drum book, as the bells they had used during the season were deemed to be illegal...hence not permitted at Nats. That is not the way DCI should operate, IMO. DCI should continue to look to widen the possibilities, not shrink them.

Corps should have as many options and choices as they can to continue entertaining the thousands and thousands of people who flock to shows, as well as provide the maximum high quality experience to the marching members.

Well, that's my opinion. At the end of the day, I want the corps staffs and admins to do whatever they think best to ensure that DCI continues to thrive and remains Marching Music's Major Leagues.

Thanks,

Mike Davis, marched 64-72, including 70-72 with The Cadets...For Holy Name Shall Always Be

Well this is what I sent, since you asked and it's the same letter format I used to send to all the directors.

I’m writing to express my concern for some of the proposals that will be debated at the next DCI Rules meeting. I am hoping that as a fan of DCI and also as an alumnus of two corps whom are no longer with us, you will consider my concerns as valid.

I have supported the activity over the years in various ways, either by attending shows, buying merchandise or sponsoring someone to march so I feel I have the right to voice my concerns about these matters. I hope that my concerns will be listened too.

The particular rules I am concerned about are as follows, and I will then give a brief reason why:

DESCRIPTION:

Brass instruments would be allowed to be amplified; either wired or wireless.

Not only would the cost alone be ridiculous, but the activity has yet mastered the art of mixing a front line let alone a single vocalist or a horn line. I can hear the horns just fine and they’re getting better with their technique on the Bb all the time in performance. Some more thoughts to consider, how long it would take to set all the equipment up, the need to hire people or use people from the corps to do these jobs and the safety issues involved when it rains. Also, please consider the tradition of the activity itself. I don’t understand the need to change the activity into something else. I understand that sometimes you need to “change” to get better but to change for the “sake of change” doesn’t do anyone any good.

Here’s a thought, get rid of the front line amps and you will hear them even better.

DESCRIPTION:

Use of Electronic Instruments

“Music from instruments such as electronic keyboards, synthesizers, electronic drum sets, and all other electronic instruments are allowed given that the instrument’s performer(s) are present and performing live and in real time.

The use of melodic, harmonic and rhythmic (musical) sampled (pre-recorded/sequenced) sounds of human voices, wind instruments, and percussion instruments will not be allowed.

RESPONSE: I don’t see how this rule will enhance anything good for the activity and will serve as only a way to put financial strains on corps who are already struggling. The high cost of gas alone should be enough to vote no for this one. Please consider voting “No”. This is another incident where you are getting away from the acoustic sound of drum and bugle corps and crossing over into something else.

Description: Limiting amplification to front line only.

“If a corps uses amplification equipment, this equipment may only be used to amplify percussion instruments used in the front ensemble. Sounds created by members themselves (i.e., voice, narration, whistling, breathing, sound effects, etc.) are expressly prohibited. Intentional amplification of the human voice will result in a 15 point penalty at the discretion of the contest coordinator. If none is available, the chief judge may grant the penalty.”

RESPONSE: If the BOD is going to insist on using amplification in the front line then by all means please vote yes for this one.

TITLE OF PROPOSED CHANGE: An eligible marching member must operate the sound board. (2009 Implementation)

DESCRIPTION:

If a corps elects to use amplification and a sound board, the operation of the sound board must be conducted solely by eligible marching members of the corps.

RESPONSE: Again, I say if the BOD is going to insist on using amplification in the front line then please vote yes for this one. It is only fair that a marching member must learn and operate the sound board.

I am mostly concerned about these rules. The need to morph the activity into something else has to stop somewhere. It is my hope that you will vote no to electronics, and amping brass instruments.

Please accept my comments as valid concerns for the love of an activity that I have cherished for over 20 years.

Sincerely yours,

Stephanie Louden

1982-83 Memphis Blues

1984-86 27th Lancers

Volunteer, sponsor, alumni and fan.

Edited by Lancerlady

I sent them a copy of the email I sent to all the Open Class corps...

Dear Directors and Instructors,

Soon you will be asked to consider this year's rules proposals. I am writing to ask you to seriously consider the proposals from Tim Kviz (via the Blue Stars). This is why.

Drum and bugle corps has always been an unique activity that differs from its near cousin, marching band. The changes in recent years have brought drum corps closer to marching band, at a faster rate, then ever before. At this rate, there will be no difference in instrumentation and design between the two in less than 10 years.

This is a mistake.

There is room for two great marching activities, there is no need to meld it all into one, destroying another that has a strong, loyal fan base. Many of these fans are feeling disenfranchised and leaving the activity. I understand that DCI must look for sources of new fans. However, this needs to happen without alienating the loyal base which has seen drum corps through dark days and prosperous times. We have seen that influx of new fans barely outnumbers those that are lost because of this disenfranchisement. Informal polls show that the current fans would not stop supporting DCI if it were a brass and percussion, acoustic activity. The disenfranchised fans would return to that which they thought lost forever. Then DCI can move forward, evolving in such a way that it retains the loyal fans as well as adopts new ones.

Since these proposals are going to the Instructor's Caucus first, I am asking that each and every director forward this message to their instructors so that they can discuss this point of view as they consider their vote.

Thank you for your consideration.

David Bassan

DCI member and fan since 1979.

Edited by DrumCorpsFan27