Mellophone mute

Latrobe's Finest

Looking for help here: is there such thing as a mello mute like their is for a trumpet etc.? Or if there isn't, is there another horn's mute that would fit a mello bell? I make way too much noise playing the mello at home and I have no other place to go to practice, so a mute would help things out. Thanks.

I suspect a trombone mute will work.

Yeah trombone will work, but there is a system out there called like silent brass which you put in this special mute and it plays through headphones, i saw it at sam ash

Silent Brass, what a device, lol. I wanted one for a while, gout eventually got over it. It's neat how you can actually hear the tone through the headphones, but i hate how playing through a muted horn sounds, i'd rather just buzz, as it is just as good of a practice as playing on the horn.

Looking for help here: is there such thing as a mello mute like their is for a trumpet etc.? Or if there isn't, is there another horn's mute that would fit a mello bell? I make way too much noise playing the mello at home and I have no other place to go to practice, so a mute would help things out. Thanks.

When I lived at home, many moon ago, I also hated practice mutes. So I pulled up a chair or stood with the bell of my horn right into my clothes closet and played.

You could still hear it in the house, but everyone else in the house was cool with it because it was quiet enough not to be disturbing and I didn't have to deal with mutes.

When I lived in my apartment, I had to use a Trombone Cup Mute to pracitce... granted, it muted the sound and distorted it a bit. THe important part was that I spent the time working on the fingers in the music while playing the horn.

When I lived in my apartment, I had to use a Trombone Cup Mute to pracitce... granted, it muted the sound and distorted it a bit. THe important part was that I spent the time working on the fingers in the music while playing the horn.

ok cool..so a trombone mute would fit..thats good. I'm pretty sure I can mooch one of those. I know about the distortion, but I really need to work with hands on the horn on fingerings etc.

Hello:

You might want to check out mellocast.com. Episode 20 of their podcast addresses mellophone mutes specifically and they rate available mutes and even provide some options for some good "homemade" mute options:

Click here for mellocast.com