Allentown

Allentown -is- Drum Corps to me.

Out of the 36 shows we did in my only year of DCI the one I remember best is Allentown.

When I close my eyes I can almost smell the mist in the air and hear/feel the drumline warming up behind us as we stand in our arc preparing for the greatest night of the season. We were standing on an island, surrounded by mist, and as we played the opening notes to Concierto de Aranjuez thousands of fireflies started to dance in the vibrations made by our horns and as we neared the final measure we were all shocked to see our caption head wiping tears from his eyes. He gave us the traditional symbol for "Not a word or I'll make you do push-ups 'til you die" then lead us into Danny Boy. At the end of Danny Boy we just stopped and watched the fireflies dance for 10 minutes until it was time to get to the field.

It was perfect.

After that we marched to the field without a single vocal command, and no pep-talk, and entered the stadium to the first of 11 standing ovations.

I have never felt that much energy again.

After we entered the first set ( a tiny shoulder-to-shoulder back-to-front block) our captain told us "On the count of three yell 'Hello Allentown!'". We yelled and they responded with an almost perfect "Hello VK!" then we screamed "We're BACK!" for another standing O. Then we started the 1 minute warm-up, but instead of playing our warm-up, we sang BD's warm-up and finished with a wild screaming roar that was drowned out by the third standing O. We then proceeded to play our best show of the entire season (I believe it was the first time we broke 90 but I can't remember because of those dang fireflies).

We left the field to a final ovation that lasted until the next corps entered the field, and coiled up into the final formation before we got dismissed for dinner. As we wound up tighter and tighter I started to hear a faint hissing sound, but I didn't figure out what it was until I looked up to see a pillar of steam rising off of our bodies.

Our corps director Tom Hixon was standing in the center nodding his head and grinning like a fox in a hen house as the fans continued their final ovation. Tom opened his mouth to say something but we started yelling before I could hear what he said.

That night has only been eclipsed 3 times since then.

My wedding night, and the days my 2 children were born.

This is why Allentown needs to be the home of DCI East.

That is all.

Ron

Edit: Dad Gum It I made myself cry when I read it.

Edited by VKContra96

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Several venues come to mind.. penn state, cornell, giants stadium, but none as well suited as Allentown. I have fond memories of Allentown from 1976 to last year performing with the Bridgemen. It's an awesome place. NO it's not the Taj Mahal. It is a great venue for what it is.

I wouldhope that someone some way would be able to come up with the funds to renovate the upper stands and make that plave be what it could be.

Allentown -is- Drum Corps to me.

Out of the 36 shows we did in my only year of DCI the one I remember best is Allentown.

When I close my eyes I can almost smell the mist in the air and hear/feel the drumline warming up behind us as we stand in our arc preparing for the greatest night of the season. We were standing on an island, surrounded by mist, and as we played the opening notes to Concierto de Aranjuez thousands of fireflies started to dance in the vibrations made by our horns and as we neared the final measure we were all shocked to see our caption head wiping tears from his eyes. He gave us the traditional symbol for "Not a word or I'll make you do push-ups 'til you die" then lead us into Danny Boy. At the end of Danny Boy we just stopped and watched the fireflies dance for 10 minutes until it was time to get to the field.

It was perfect.

After that we marched to the field without a single vocal command, and no pep-talk, and entered the stadium to the first of 11 standing ovations.

I have never felt that much energy again.

After we entered the first set ( a tiny shoulder-to-shoulder back-to-front block) our captain told us "On the count of three yell 'Hello Allentown!'". We yelled and they responded with an almost perfect "Hello VK!" then we screamed "We're BACK!" for another standing O. Then we started the 1 minute warm-up, but instead of playing our warm-up, we sang BD's warm-up and finished with a wild screaming roar that was drowned out by the third standing O. We then proceeded to play our best show of the entire season (I believe it was the first time we broke 90 but I can't remember because of those dang fireflies).

We left the field to a final ovation that lasted until the next corps entered the field, and coiled up into the final formation before we got dismissed for dinner. As we wound up tighter and tighter I started to hear a faint hissing sound, but I didn't figure out what it was until I looked up to see a pillar of steam rising off of our bodies.

Our corps director Tom Hixon was standing in the center nodding his head and grinning like a fox in a hen house as the fans continued their final ovation. Tom opened his mouth to say something but we started yelling before I could hear what he said.

That night has only been eclipsed 3 times since then.

My wedding night, and the days my 2 children were born.

This is why Allentown needs to be the home of DCI East.

That is all.

Ron

Edit: Dad Gum It I made myself cry when I read it.

Got the shivers reading that one Ron. Cool!!! And thanks.

In my mind, Allentown's a keeper for as long as the stadium holds up.

One of Allentown's strong points, IMO, is that the local committee which runs the show is absolutely top-notch. Bob Bennett and his crew do a great job at that venue.

I marched with DCA's Sunrisers, and the first four DCA titles the corps won were at J. Birney Crum Stadium...... I was fortunate to be there for the first three, 1977-78 and 1982.

So that old stadium will always hold a special place in my heart. :tongue:

Fran

You couldn't ask for a better show staff. And nowhere in this activity do you get the same bang for your buck.