• Phantom 07
    • Madison 78
    • Madison 85
    • Madison 95

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's a tough call. An argument can be made for BD, and I even said that minus the distracting vocals Garfield has a claim to the title - heck, even with the flippin vocals they had a claim. They were gooooooooood! I just don't see how PR was a point and a half down in visual effect. The drumline was HOT and was only overshadowed by the best (imo) hornline on the field that night - that season! WOW! WOW! WOW! Phantom simply rocked!

As for the Cavies, I thought they had the best drill out there - bar none! ...and that was huge for me. There was some top-notch drill writing 1-12, but especially from 1-7. Also, Cavies had a fantastic arrangement of Billy 'freakin' Joel music and absolutely OWNED it! A real PRESSURE performance. They were ferocious!

I stand with PR, Cavies, as 1-2 with Garfield, SCV and BD soooo close. No more than 2 points separating these 5 and certainly no more than .5 in any one caption. (Ok, SCV might trade places with BD on my list, but not by much. I loved the show ....and the cymbal line being featured so prominently).

Calvin

GO SCOUTS!

I find that Michael Gaines' drill writing is becoming very monotonous and looks the same just about year in and year out. Not saying that his stuff isn't great but having cool visual just for the sake of having cool visual is really getting old. I just want a different look as for as visual goes from the guys in green. I much rather late 80's - early 90's visual design from the Cavies.

As for as hornlines go, I think they placed right where they should. One major thing that catches my ear as I listen to Phantom and Cadets is I hear less passion in their music than BD. BD this year just had that intangible energy amongst the corps. The opener was fierce and angry, the ballad was dark and lush and the closer was glorious and majestic. If you happened to witness the corps live, you could feel the passion coming through the bells. It was a real treat! I just didn't get that feeling from Cadets or Phantom. Also, the last minute of Phantom's show, you can really hear the hornline lose energy and volume whereas BD kept pushing and got louder until the last second of the show.

News flash. . .not everything you find distracting is distracting for everyone else. . .and in no way did The Cadets get a push from the judges.

Why do you have to be a hater? NEWSFLASH little man, my opionion matters, DEAL WITH IT!

Dont like it, dont read it.

JASON

Why do you have to be a hater? NEWSFLASH little man, my opionion matters, DEAL WITH IT!

Dont like it, dont read it.

JASON

A hater is someone who refuses to give or denies a certain person or group the recognition deserved. . .so, I think the hater here would be you.

As far as liking or not liking your opinion, you are in the wrong place if you think you can post an opinion without someone disagreeing with you.

Gotta show some love to my corps brothers and sisters, Phantom Regiment 1982 and 1983. :nervous:

...and 1984!

Garry in Vegas

Edited by CrunchyTenor

I find that Michael Gaines' drill writing is becoming very monotonous and looks the same just about year in and year out. Not saying that his stuff isn't great but having cool visual just for the sake of having cool visual is really getting old. I just want a different look as for as visual goes from the guys in green. I much rather late 80's - early 90's visual design from the Cavies.

As for as hornlines go, I think they placed right where they should. One major thing that catches my ear as I listen to Phantom and Cadets is I hear less passion in their music than BD. BD this year just had that intangible energy amongst the corps. The opener was fierce and angry, the ballad was dark and lush and the closer was glorious and majestic. If you happened to witness the corps live, you could feel the passion coming through the bells. It was a real treat! I just didn't get that feeling from Cadets or Phantom. Also, the last minute of Phantom's show, you can really hear the hornline lose energy and volume whereas BD kept pushing and got louder until the last second of the show.

Yes, Michael Gaines is becoming a little predictable in some cases, but still much better visually than what the top corps offered.

As far as passion in playing, I guess that is just a matter of personal opinion and possibly some bias. I found all the corps, especially the top corps play with a ton of emotion/passion. Also, I would think one reason you might hear BD getting louder and pushing while Phantom was doing the opposite (although I disagree) is the large gap in the velocity dept. Phantom (and most corps, IMO) moved much more than BD.

Good call, maniac. I'll watch BD and PR again :nervous: and see if see/hear a lack of passion. I wasn't at the show in CA. but had seen them both live (at least I think I saw BD last year...maybe not). Anyway, I didn't notice anything lacking from PRs hornline...so I'll listen for that too. I'm not trying to knock BD at all. I loved the show.

I also can't argue with your opinion of Cavies drill....i'd like to see something different, too. Having said that, I still think they were awesome and the drill really fit the music, presentation and it allowed for a great visual package, as we have come to expect from the Green Machine!

Is that eubanics? What the heck is lulz. Do you mean chills?

Did you mean ebonics? Are we throwing the race card? I'm thinking "lulz" is an alternate spelling of "lulls", as in your post was making him drowsy. There are nicer ways to ask Connor to clarify his comment.

You may be new. TXMystreaux is a huge fan of the Cadets. He will defend them, as is his right. He will call you out and make you defend your position in most cases anyway, but especially in the case of the Cadets. Get used to it. He and I don't always agree, either. No big deal.

Garry in Vegas

Edited by CrunchyTenor