Finals Shirt Idea

I know a lot of people are not happy about some of the changes, myself included. But ultimately this activity is about the kids, the performers. I suggest finding another way to protest DCI, without having kids that have worked hard all summer walk into a stadium, empty for their finals performance.

Ultimately there is no effective form of protest that will not hurt the kids in some small way, or in a major, in-your-face way. Unfortunate but true. DCI expects us to "keep to the code" and not harm the members in the slightest way, thereby stifling any meaningful dissent.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know a lot of people are not happy about some of the changes, myself included. But ultimately this activity is about the kids, the performers. I suggest finding another way to protest DCI, without having kids that have worked hard all summer walk into a stadium, empty for their finals performance.

And therein lies the rub, no? I will agree 100% that the activity is for the kids. However, speaking ONLY from my experience in JR Corps, the payoff happened under the lights. Yes, I did a lot of growing and bonding throughout the summers that I marched, but what made it all worth it was the 11 minutes each night that I was on the field, doing my thing for the crowd.

SO, if you don't think about the fans, and the fans leave, then where is the payoff for the kids? It's a symbiotic relationship.

(Disclaimer: I don't for a second think that you will have empty stadiums... but I DO think that the rate of returning, knowledgeable fans will decline... no evidence to back that up, just my supposition)

And therein lies the rub, no? I will agree 100% that the activity is for the kids. However, speaking ONLY from my experience in JR Corps, the payoff happened under the lights. Yes, I did a lot of growing and bonding throughout the summers that I marched, but what made it all worth it was the 11 minutes each night that I was on the field, doing my thing for the crowd.

SO, if you don't think about the fans, and the fans leave, then where is the payoff for the kids? It's a symbiotic relationship.

(Disclaimer: I don't for a second think that you will have empty stadiums... but I DO think that the rate of returning, knowledgeable fans will decline... no evidence to back that up, just my supposition)

I agree 100%

Bring drum corps back to the fans.

I dont want to hear SCV perform Techno Adagio. Boo!

Honestly, if you show up to Finals, sitting in a seat, DCI won't care what kind of shirt you're wearing. Your butt is in the seat, watching shows, isn't it?

It all goes back to the greenbacks.

Thanks for the help. I have seen how the past couple of years have used amps and make the assumption that they will now be used more. Hence it is not a great sighting that leads me to believe I will not like it even more.

As for the shirt idea several of you have said you like: I was thinking of something simple, to the point, but non-confrontational (if this topic is any indication, you get confronted just because you don't like something, no matter why).

Any good ideas?

How about a Drum Corps "Farewell Tour" sort of shirt.

Jeez...at least wait until you SEE it before you HATE it. Then maybe your post would have some credibility.

You know, I first saw this "innovation" when my own HS band decided to amp a "fiddle" to do "Devil Went Down to Georgia". The year - 1982. It sucked then, as has every other single attempt at this that I've witnessed since that time. Yeah, you can blather on about technology is better now, etc., etc., but the fact remains that amped music outdoors does not have the same quality of sound as acoustic performances on instruments DESIGNED to project outdoors - drums and brass.

That's the thing I just cannot get over - how SILLY this latest development (amping brass solos and ensembles) is. It goes to simple practicality - its just not NEEDED, and it does NOT improve the quality of the performance.

As for the shirt idea several of you have said you like: I was thinking of something simple, to the point, but non-confrontational (if this topic is any indication, you get confronted just because you don't like something, no matter why).

Any good ideas?

If you must do this, the obvious choice is a tombstone with the DCI logo engraved on it. But I'm like others here that feel that if you buy one more ticket, one more CD, one more download, DCI cries all the way to the bank - and you become a SUCKER.

The best way to show your displeasure with this is to CALL DCI and tell them the divorce is final - YOU'RE DONE.

Now if you want make and sell these tees to support DCA or something along that line, then I'd be far more apt to buy one.

That's why you do a mass protest at semi's...and then have all the empty seats at finals.

Great way to make the kids feel good, and rewarded for the hours and hours of hard work they put in.

THis is SO stupid.

DCI IS AN ACTIVITY FOR THE KIDS THAT PERFORM IN IT. NOT FOR OLD MEN WHO WILL BOO KIDS OFF THE FIELD AND MASS PROTEST THEIR PERFORMANCES.

IF YOU DONT LIKE IT, GET OFF DCP, AND LEAVE THE FORUMS FOR STUDENTS WHO PARTICIPATE IN THIS ACTIVITY TO DISCUSS DRUM CORPS.

DCP, CAN WE HAVE A STUDENTS ONLY FORUM?