Electronics and changing the creative landscape...

Bump.

Here's another question, posed especially towards those of you that are really seeing the creative possibilities of electronics...

What would you say represents the absolute pinnacle of their use in a marching environment thus far?

I've seen Tarpon Springs High School every year for the past 4 years. They perform well, but I really don't like their design concepts. There are so many props, amplification of wind instruments, an electric drum set, and floors like it was a WGI competition. Not to mention the girl who played a "Macbook" in the back of last year's show. But I can't deny that they are a great Outdoor Performance Ensemble. (I'm pretty sure they don't use the term "marching band").

Anyways, what does the new rule actually allow? I haven't really read a definitive answer.

I really don't believe electronics will will be the creative "savior" or changer in drum corps. I may be proven wrong, but I don't think it will.

Musically the judging sheets are still focused on brass and percussion, so those elements have to come through stronger than any electronics a corps may add.

I don't see using electic keyboards or drum machines as being all that revolutionary. We hear those sounds on a regular basis in pop music all the time. Those sounds won't make or break a show, IMO. I listened to a Ronals Reagan HS Utube video yesterday. Very good band but in the video I watched I didn't hear anything from the electric keybaords that was anything to get excited about or that "MADE" the show.

A few arrangers will find and use some truely original sounds that will add something to a show, but the brass and percussion will still be the focus.