An Opportunity for Open Class

Would you be more interested in Open Class?  

114 members have voted

1. 1. If Open Class chose not to allow electronics, would you be more interested in going to an Open Class show?

• I would definitely be more interested in going
    • It wouldn't change my opinion
    • I already attend a lot of Open Class events
    • No Electronics would make me LESS interested
    • The most important thing is to use the same rules

Given the drastic changes just passed with DCI, Open Class corps will be faced with additional "Keeping up with the Joneses".

Would now be a good idea to differentiate Open Class, and potentially drive up interest?

Why would we want to differentiate Open Class even more then it already is? Open Class corps are not trying to keep up with World Class corps...unless you mean it might be difficult for corps with less resources to compete with the corps who are able to have/use electronics. Regardless, even if a corps chooses not to use electronics (no matter the reason) a good product and performance is still going to be competitive.

Why would we want to differentiate Open Class even more then it already is? Open Class corps are not trying to keep up with World Class corps...unless you mean it might be difficult for corps with less resources to compete with the corps who are able to have/use electronics. Regardless, even if a corps chooses not to use electronics (no matter the reason) a good product and performance is still going to be competitive.

Well, Open cless DOES need to differenciate themselves from World Class corps if they are going to be successful. If not, then they will be looked at as nothing more than the DCI farm league. Most corps in Open Class won't be able to afford the electronics (at least right away) anyways, so I can see this as a very good opportunity to grasp the older drum corps audience... at least for a while. I for one would rather watch an all accoustic show than one full of wires.

Let’s not forget that quite a few Open Class corps have indoor drumlines. Therefore already have the equipment.

I don't think this would have the effect you think it would.

It's not about borrowing, buying, acquiring... any of us could do that. The point is that:

a) If they're in Open, odds are pretty good their financial situation isn't as good as World corps

b) Being different, in any way for that matter, would generate interest that isn't there now

c) If there were ever a concept worth splitting in order to be "different", this seems like the one

Like, love, hate, ambivalent about electronics, this would marry "hard corps" and "legacy" fans with corps that more closely represent the groups they were more familiar with, IMO. Personally, I would find my D1 experience several years back to match more closely a top Open corps than today's upper Finalists. Having also marched D2 way back when, it may also benefit those disenfranchised fans to find something that they can care more about.

I look at it like how lots of people like major league baseball, yet there is still a thriving, rabid AAA crowd. They say the game is more "pure" in the minors. Well, maybe this is the situation as it presents itself today...

It's not about borrowing, buying, acquiring... any of us could do that. The point is that:

a) If they're in Open, odds are pretty good their financial situation isn't as good as World corps

b) Being different, in any way for that matter, would generate interest that isn't there now

c) If there were ever a concept worth splitting in order to be "different", this seems like the one

Like, love, hate, ambivalent about electronics, this would marry "hard corps" and "legacy" fans with corps that more closely represent the groups they were more familiar with, IMO. Personally, I would find my D1 experience several years back to match more closely a top Open corps than today's upper Finalists. Having also marched D2 way back when, it may also benefit those disenfranchised fans to find something that they can care more about.

I look at it like how lots of people like major league baseball, yet there is still a thriving, rabid AAA crowd. They say the game is more "pure" in the minors. Well, maybe this is the situation as it presents itself today...

First let me say I understand all your points.

I think the people who are rabidly anti amplification and electronics are a minority in the drum corps fan base. A pretty small minority. They are a very vocal faction on DCP, but DCP is not the real world. I agree that many people are not happy with the new rules, but the people shouting that DCI is dead and that they will never attend a DCI event ever again look like huge losers from outside the DCP uber-nerd bubble. I don't think there are nearly enough people who would actually be willing to stop paying money to go to World Class shows, stop buying World Class souvies and put that money in Open Class pockets to make any real difference. There's also the fact that increased show revenues will only help show sponsors... when Open Class corps host shows they'll make some more dough, but we're still not getting any appearance fees at all.

Also, I think to propose this before we even see what the Top 12 do with electronics is hasty. A lot of people in the other forum are overreacting and prophesizing techno shows and a complete break with traditional show design... as if adding two keyboards in the pit will radically alter the medium. I'm just not buying that that's going to happen. I think having Open Class follow World Class is the best decision.

First let me say I understand all your points.

I think the people who are rabidly anti amplification and electronics are a minority in the drum corps fan base. A pretty small minority. They are a very vocal faction on DCP, but DCP is not the real world. I agree that many people are not happy with the new rules, but the people shouting that DCI is dead and that they will never attend a DCI event ever again look like huge losers from outside the DCP uber-nerd bubble. I don't think there are nearly enough people who would actually be willing to stop paying money to go to World Class shows, stop buying World Class souvies and put that money in Open Class pockets to make any real difference. There's also the fact that increased show revenues will only help show sponsors... when Open Class corps host shows they'll make some more dough, but we're still not getting any appearance fees at all.

Also, I think to propose this before we even see what the Top 12 do with electronics is hasty. A lot of people in the other forum are overreacting and prophesizing techno shows and a complete break with traditional show design... as if adding two keyboards in the pit will radically alter the medium. I'm just not buying that that's going to happen. I think having Open Class follow World Class is the best decision.

Thanks for a good, solid opposing viewpoint.

Whether it is electronics, or adding woodwinds, or fireworks, or circus animals... Open Class needs to not be "Drum Corps Lite". Otherwise, it will continue to draw 10% like it does now. Whether the difference is real or perceived, and granted this is probably way more perception than reality, when you roll out amps a corps looks better funded. Open Class, IIRC from Pasadena, was not even 1/3 amped. Open Class tends to be "shoestring budgets"... if not always in reality, it seems like it.

So whatever it is, I would challenge the notion that following World is better. Instead of being a younger, less experienced, less talented (WADR) version of World, be its own thing.

Again, Purple, nice post. That pretty much lays out both sides, eh?