Pre-2000 VPD

Michael:

That is correct. Monies collected from corps performances (audio and video) primarily go back to the individual corps. DCI fronted the expenses to develop the underlying media infrastructure and leases the bandwidth for downloads. A portion of the fees collected goes back to DCI to pay for those expenses, but the majority of the revenues goes back to the corps themselves.

I encourage everyone to download as much as possible. You get a great product and the corps you like get supported financially.

Where do the monies go from purchases of non-existent corps? Just wondering.

I'm not sure I understand the question - are the older shows worth less?

I was just curious, because to buy individual corps VPD's for the "Legacy" year's is quite a chunk more expensive than buying the actual Legacy DVD's. (ex...6 VPD = $36, while a Legacy DVD (Full Finals) is $39) I like the idea of getting to choose your favorite shows from each season (like itunes) and supporting the corps (although only the top 6), but the price point seems illogical to me.

Random thought, is DCI working to put all VPD's for every corps from every year? If all the funds go back to the corps, then right now only the top 6 (a fairly standard group of corps) is benefiting...

Just wondering if there was a logical reason.

When DCI started adding the Legacy content they started with the Top 3, the added the next 3 to have the Top 6 at this point. I understand that they have recently completed the encoding process for the next 6, so we should probably be seeing the Top 12 fairly soon. From there I expect they'll start backfilling everything beyond that.

I understand that there have been some copyright issues to get resolved, so one or two performances may be omitted in the interim. (seems Disney songs are a real problem)

As for the proceeds from defunct corps? Good question. I'll assume they are going into the fund to pay off the infrastructure....which was expensive to build.

Quick answers:

DCI would love to put up many, many shows. It has to bring in more money than it costs to sell the product...

Legacy vs individual pricing... it's pick and choose. If you want the legacy collection, go for it. Some people just want one or two shows... it's just a choice.

Corps that no longer exist go towards infrastructure, lowering that cost for the corps. Thus, all corps end up benefiting slightly.

itunes has a heavy overhead, more than selling them directly. No need to get Steve Jobs more rich off of drum corps...

For anyone thinking of buying themselves a nice gift, the Legacy Collection is worth every penny. So many great shows from the past and they still hold up. It's a wonderful stroll down drum corps memory lane.