Changes Since "My" Time

Dale- Did you see the trophy for 1st place at that Jericho show? It was a huge Golden Calf! Thing musta weighed a ton! :tongue:

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I also read about how tough it was to get into the Spartans. First, you had to train for years in the Pre-Cadet corps and then more years in the Cadet corps. When the big corps held auditions, the cuts didn't go home - they got pushed into a well!

I forgot to add that their nickname was "The 300". They claimed that was the score they'd get if the scale wasn't limited to 100. The other corps snickered that that represented the number of times they could play their show before someone clapped.

Speaking of scores, when shows were held in the Rome, did they say, "And in V place, with a score of LXXVIII"?

Of course, when the ancient corps toured to India, they complained about how their scores would always drop - with India being the only place where zero was used.

Another little known fact is that the Terra Cotta warriors in China are actually models for the first uniforms designed by Cesario.

See how much (or little) drum corps has changed?

(OK, I'm done. Jim, you can have your thread back now. We've exhausted that mother lode.)

Dale- Did you see the trophy for 1st place at that Jericho show? It was a huge Golden Calf! Thing musta weighed a ton! :tongue:

Let me guess... the winning corps played "Bacchanale"?

Or was it "Belshazzar's Feast"?

"Hava Nagilah"?

(OK, now I went a joke too far.)

Dale- Re: "Hava Nagilah" One of the first corps to make that a famous drum corps tune was the Crusaders (Boston) So, I'm thinkin' Middle Ages? Probably some show in Jeruselum. I believe Rachacha played it too...as with Bachanelle. I can picture a bunch of jezebels prancing around with sabres and silks...

Ah, those were the days...

You didn't read the "rule" book.

Golden Calves and other idols were strictly forbidden by the head judge.

Penalty was disqualification...forever.

Dale- Do you remember the Mini-Corps from the middle east? Some superstar named Jesus, and 12 other guys. And then, one of those guys 'jumped ship'.

(musta been a ring-chaser) Their chuck wagon was pretty depleted too. Rumor has it, they had nothing to eat except for bread and wine. (except that one time they had fish, too. LOTSA FISH!)

I heard that in the critique, after the show...the judges just crucified that Jesus guy.

(I know....I'm REALLY gonna pay for this eventually) :tongue:

Dale- Do you remember the Mini-Corps from the middle east? Some superstar named Jesus, and 12 other guys. And then, one of those guys 'jumped ship'.

(musta been a ring-chaser) Their chuck wagon was pretty depleted too. Rumor has it, they had nothing to eat except for bread and wine. (except that one time they had fish, too. LOTSA FISH!)

I heard that in the critique, after the show...the judges just crucified that Jesus guy.

(I know....I'm REALLY gonna pay for this eventually) :tongue:

Umm.

After that...

Think the show was called on account of multiple lightning strikes. Wasn't safe. No one wanted to go back on the field.

It's a little known fact of history that the assistant director of that corps (and the director's brother) was secretly resentful that his only duty consisted of handling the "staff".

Dale, you failed to remember that this "staff" was THE interval staff that they used to learn drill (if anyone here remember interval staffs/poles, you're old).

(I know....I'm REALLY gonna pay for this eventually) :smile:

Ah, actually it was the General Effect judge that wrote Nazareth Disciples off the sheets. It was something about being to avant garde and shows so godly that people who watched it were healed. That doesn't go well with them. That walking on water part of their show didn't go over very well either.

Edited by sburstall