The matchup that won't happen

wolfgang

So this brings up an interesting rules question.

Every year after finals, the top groups in A and Open are reviewed for promotion, and most of the time there are promotions.

However, these are for groups that went to World Championships.

I think Perfect Time of Day would agree that if Lawrence Central were going to WGI finals, they would finish high enough in the order that they would be reviewed, and likely 99.9% would get the bump for next season back up to World Class, where they've been for a while prior to this season.

Here is my Rules ?-

Would/could WGI review a group that did NOT attend world champships for a promotion for the following season?

Has this ever been done? Is there any sort of precedent? Do WGI bylaws allow this (ie- promotion of a group for the following season if that group did not attend any WGI event during the current season)?

Thoughts anyone?

You can asked to be reviewed or someone else can recommend you to be reviewed (a judge) if I remember right.

Well, I think Lawrence Central's "reclassification" to Scholastic Open for this season might have been just what the doctor ordered in terms of getting their winter program back on track.

If you look at the scores they were turning in during the past several seasons - both in their state circuit and at WGI - it seems as if they were finding the Scholastic World experience to be a little daunting.

Not sure exactly why that might have been, though.

Obviously, they continue to have one of the most talented design and instructional staffs in the country for both winter and fall. (Kudos to the above mentioned Grag Hagen, among others...!!!) And they've DEFINITELY earned and deserved everything for which they've become known. Any one of the girls (or guys!) in that guard probably could make the cut for just about any drum corps or Independent-level guard out there.

Maybe they'll compete again in Scholastic World after a year or two in Scholastic Open.

Or not.

After all, it's not as if SW is the be-all, end-all of the winter guard experience. Ya know...??? Excellent programs DO flourish in other classes.

:)

And before I go any further, I know how easily bent out of shape some of you people in these forums can get. Maybe you didn't get enough hugs as a child. Maybe there's some event in your life that you need to work out with a therapist and an anatomically correct doll. Honestly, I can't imagine what type of psychological precondition would cause a person to react with the vitriol and rage with which I've seen some people in these forums react during casual discussions about color guard.

All I know is that some of y'all can fly off the handle for no good reason whatsoever.

(And we ALL know who you are...!!!)

So, once more, let me state - up front and in kindergarten language - that I'm neither making nor trying to thinly veil any type of a negative, derogatory or otherwise less-than-complimentary statement about any aspect of the Lawrence Central program.

I have no agenda, I have no ax to grind. I'm just an average person joining a discussion of a topic and of a group that interest me. Period.

Can we just be 100% clear on that and move on...???

Now, back to our regularly scheduled programming.

I, too, think that it's a real shame that fans of the activity won't be seeing Northmont and Lawrence Central competing side-by-side at Dayton this year. That match-up really would add to the excitement level of finals this year, which already is going to be a TERRIFIC competition.

Each of those shows really is Gold medal caliber both in terms of design and performance level. It's in no way presumptuous to suggest that either of those shows would/could place in the VERY top tier of this year's Scholastic Open finalists.

It's always great when "everyone" makes the trip to WGI. But, that's not always possible for every group, every year. (Things like this DO happen in the real world...!!!)

And to everyone out there in guardland, here's a simple request I'd like to make before I end this (rather) long post. (<--- I seem to be earning a reputation for that...!!!)

Please, please, PLEASE let's NOT start squawking all through these discussion boards about how "If so-and-so group wins Scholastic Open this year, then it was only because so-and-so OTHER group didn't go to Dayton."

What a horrible, disrespectful way to treat ANY program out there - particularly a program that WINS a Gold medal in their division.

That conversation has been happening re: SW ever since Logan announced that their "big trip" this year was going to be performing during the opening ceremonies at the Olympics in Beijing rather than making the trip to WGI.

Again, I'm advocating that this discussion NOT skip down that path.

So, get back on your meds, vent to your shrink, break out your Bataka encounter bats - whatever you need to do - and let's keep this conversation focused in the RIGHT direction.

Ok...???

My work here is done.

:) :) :)

I believe you are allowed to choose the class you want to compete in for WGI. However, I think it's frowned upon if you move your group up a class when they weren't successful in the one below. . .You can do it, but there's an unwritten rule that you shouldn't. Chances are, you're not going to be successful anyway. I think by and large though, directors classify their groups in the correct classes. There have been those times where we all can see a bone-headed decision about a director putting their guard in a certain class, but I think they are few and far between.

So, I think LC will be in World Class next year. . . as far as WGI knows, LC last competed in World last year and since they are not doing WGI this year, there's really no reason for them to think differently. They would have been bumped at the end of this season anyway, had they competed.

One last point, I wish directors and fans alike would get over the stigma of moving their group down a class when they can't compete in World. I think there are times when this needs to be done to rebuild and teach to the level of the performers. I know groups like Centerville and Northmont have done this and always seem to find their way back to World, because they deserve to be there. ..not because they qualified in 1994 and are going to stay just because they can. . .

PS...I think Pope and Lassiter may be back on their way to World soon. . .2010?

is the talented greg hagen a part of the design team this year at lawrence central[he has been in the past]?i understand tommy allen is an alumni of this award winning program.

glad to hear they have rebounded after last years unfortunate and unexpected no-show at wgi finals.

Greg and I go back a long ways. All the way back to Jasper High School, in fact, where he was doing breathtaking shows (indoors and out) starting in the early '80s. He's a good guy, and an amazingly talented writer. Kudos to him for staying in the game way longer than I did! :rolleyes:

Edited by byline

i too have many fond memories of greg hagen from those "salad days" [almost 30 years ago]and i remember laughing with him.......alot! :rolleyes:

he is extremely funny as well as being a gifted teacher and award winning designer.his conributions to the artform are many and appreciated. :laughing:

Edited by dugg

i too have many fond memories of greg hagen from those "salad days" [almost 30 years ago]and i remember laughing with him.......alot! :rolleyes:

he is extremely funny as well as being a gifted teacher and award winning designer.his conributions to the artform are many and appreciated. :laughing:

Yup, Greg's sense of humor is legendary. But we also had some pretty serious talks, too . . . on wide-ranging issues. The serious side of me always appreciated that.