Weight Loss/Gain

Lost 30-40 over the summer, gained 60+ back in the off-season. Seriously. It had a terrible effect on the following summer. Don't binge when you get home, kids! Keep exercising! No matter how much you missed McDonalds and ice cream. You'll gain a lot back because you can't keep up the lifestyle in the real world, but... yeah. Bad news bears.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Since I was usually (5'11'') 130 lbs. before tour I usually gained 10 to 15 lbs. from a summer of drum corps. Being underweight can be a problem if you aren't eating, which is why its important to join a corps that feeds well. Having a fast metabolism doesn't help at all...

I ate seconds ALL the time for almost every meal (big meals), veggies and everything, got a PB&J or two with every meal (lots of PB), low fat milk is good to wash everything down if its there for the meal. Snacked on whatever healthy foods I could find throughout the day and on bus trips. I ate a LOT for after show snacks, and brought them on the bus with me whenever I could. Never skipped a meal. Drank a whole lot of water (before and after long bus rides, right before i went to sleep, right when I woke up, and of course throughout the whole day)

I lost weight when I got off tour. :(

Since I was usually (5'11'') 130 lbs. before tour I usually gained 10 to 15 lbs. from a summer of drum corps. Being underweight can be a problem if you aren't eating, which is why its important to join a corps that feeds well. Having a fast metabolism doesn't help at all...

I ate seconds ALL the time for almost every meal (big meals), veggies and everything, got a PB&J or two with every meal (lots of PB), low fat milk is good to wash everything down if its there for the meal. Snacked on whatever healthy foods I could find throughout the day and on bus trips. I ate a LOT for after show snacks, and brought them on the bus with me whenever I could. Never skipped a meal. Drank a whole lot of water (before and after long bus rides, right before i went to sleep, right when I woke up, and of course throughout the whole day)

I lost weight when I got off tour. :(

Dude you sound like an exact replica of me, haha. I hope I can gain that much weight. Holy crap you ate and drank alot, though. Lol

Ah, how I love hearing people say that the pit doesn't work.

As someone previously said, front ensemble members are constantly moving and lifting equipment. I think I lost most of my weight from being the truck so much. It was like bein in a sauna, but instead of sittin around naked with a towel....i was in there lifting marimba's and vibraphone's over my head (well....usually almost naked)

I never really bulked up in muscle on tour, I'd just get really toned, especially in the calves. Pushing a 5 octave beast of a marimba with cymbals and other junk attatched to it around the country.

I probably would have gained some serious weight in 2002 at Phantom if the original plan of having 4 members of the pit march during the piano concerto would have gone thru (kinda glad it didn't...would have been cool though) Unfortunately, strapping a full set of bells, 18in gong drum, 8in snare drum, and a mounted cymbal was too much for the harnesses to handle...

Dude you sound like an exact replica of me, haha. I hope I can gain that much weight. Holy crap you ate and drank alot, though. Lol

Some days it was harder to eat than others. Most days it was fine; running around the football field all day can make you pretty hungry around meal times. The days I wasn't doin' too much were tough eating and drinking days.

I won't lie to ya and say I only ate healthy foods all summer. I remember eating a med. pizza from Dominoes right before performing at MTSU...i think theres a dominoes near there. Ate the whole thing myself, and had trouble zipping up my uniform pants an hour later. Heh, i guess for a small guy I could eat a lot in the summer.

I was definitely lucky to be in the corps I was in. I've marched in a corps that had problems feeding the members. Not fun. Not safe. Luckly that underfed corps was in my home town, and I could go home to eat durring pre-tour. Tour was a different story...