Weight Loss/Gain

Ok...I don't post on here too much but I've always wondered about this...

I'm 5'10ish, 130-140lbs (It varies...depending on how much food I've consumed lately). I can not seem to put on weight for the life of me. I rarely eat 3 meals a day though...mostly just alot of junk and fast foods. My goal is to gain weight this summer, preferably muscle (It'll be my first summer of corps). Do you guys think it's possible? And if so..how much?

Oh, and I'm not sure how much this matters but I'll be marching bass drum for the green team.

First off, congrats on getting in to the Cavies (right?). I am just assuming they are the green team.

As far as gaining weight, I think it is possible but it might be hard. I think out of this thread, only 2 or 3 people actually gained weight over the summer.

Also, from what I have gotten from this thread is that you will be served some pretty hearty meals. The junk food and fast food that you have been consuming are not very nutritious and from my understanding, weight loss/maintenance/gaining requires very specific types of nutrition, which you don't get much of in your current diet. You might want to talk to your doctor or a nutritionist to see if you can get weight gain supplements that you can take with you this summer.

Is your bass drum heavy or one of the bigger ones? If it's the smallest one, I am just guessing that you won't get much opportunity to gain weight from that. In addition to your grueling schedule, I think you might have to actually consider doing weight training as well.

One thing that you can do though is eat a lot... a lot of protein if you can.

There is probably someone else on this forum that can help you more with weight gain with such circumstances, otherwise, I hope I helped!

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok...I don't post on here too much but I've always wondered about this...

I'm 5'10ish, 130-140lbs (It varies...depending on how much food I've consumed lately). I can not seem to put on weight for the life of me. I rarely eat 3 meals a day though...mostly just alot of junk and fast foods. My goal is to gain weight this summer, preferably muscle (It'll be my first summer of corps). Do you guys think it's possible? And if so..how much?

Oh, and I'm not sure how much this matters but I'll be marching bass drum for the green team.

Have you ever considered using Whey Protein (I think that's it..) to bulk up? I personally have never used anything like this but I have never been concerned with bulking up but instead losing the weight. However, talk to some body builders and see what they have to say about gaining muscle mass.

...and you're now how many? :ph34r:

We really need to revoke your DCP access... :ph34r:

And, since you asked...176.4 as of Sunday! Yikes!

Is your bass drum heavy or one of the bigger ones?

Right in the middle. I'll be on 3. But I've never been lower than 1...so i'm thinking I'll get atleast SOME muscle mass just from fact that It'll be the heaviest drum I've ever carried. I could be way off "bass" :ph34r: though.

If you want to gain weight/muscle you really need to eat well and eat more calories than you expend. Start weight training

every other day. Eat some carbs before you work out and have some good protein right after the workout.

You've got to work your body out and replenish it by feeding yourself well.

If you want to gain weight/muscle you really need to eat well and eat more calories than you expend. Start weight training

every other day. Eat some carbs before you work out and have some good protein right after the workout.

You've got to work your body out and replenish it by feeding yourself well.[/quote

Edited by tizzizzailslf04

both years I marched I came home weighing 165... I lost 20 spring semester leading up to my rookie year, and 20 more on tour. I gained back what I lost on tour, and then went on tour again. Now I'm trying to stay in the low 180s, keeping off the weight I lost before my rookie year, but not really concerned about staying end of tour weight. I'm kicking it up now to lose 5-10 pounds.

Haha...Andrew...this is RJ (from TCU).

Oh, hey RJ.

Good luck this Summer. You should hit the rec center hard, that place is awesome.

I've been going regularly since late Nov. and I've gotten great results in adding

muscle mass, and I've lost 8 lbs. with cardio and the extra muscle burning calories faster.

It's good consistent workouts with a good healthy diet that get long term results.

And don't forget to stretch before and after, that helps a lot.

When I cared about my weight the following seemed to hold true.

Lose weight:

Fish plus carrots plus lettuce sandwiches

Maintain weight:

Chicken and Tuna

Gain weight:

Red Meat and fast food

In 2006 I was living on Hot Pockets. I cut back from 3 packs of two per day to 2 packs of two per day and was loosing weight fairly regularly about five pounds or more a month. One day I went to Burger King for one meal. I came back home and just from one double whopper and half a thing of fries, and I gained five pounds. Which took another three weeks to start the downward curve again.

My skinny behind gained 30 lbs of muscle my first summer.

Gogo, PB&J.