Scholastic Rules

wtxcg

I've been out of the loop winterguard wise. I heard from a random person that WGI had lifted the "same high school" rule, and units are able to recruit from other high schools/school districts. Is this true?

I've been out of the loop winterguard wise. I heard from a random person that WGI had lifted the "same high school" rule, and units are able to recruit from other high schools/school districts. Is this true?

Not quite. All students must be from the same school district.

Lack of school support? Lack of band support? Not enough rehearsal time? Wanting to use people who have graduated?

Where is that defined? I looked at the Color Guard Contest Rules and most everywhere on the WGI website?

WGI rulebook

Lack of school support? Lack of band support? Lack of Rehearsal Time?

Mostly for the above reasons-- except instead of rehearsal time, I'd say lack of rehearsal space. However, all must be current students.

The rule mainly comes due to large county-run school districts who split schools and half the students need to go to the new school. Rather than forcing the new school to start a new program to give the kids an opportunity to march scholastically or force them to join an independent guard, they can continue participating. However, there are all sorts of hoops to jump through in order to prove the situation. This has been the most common reason. There may be other reasons as well.

As for the combined school going independent. Perhaps the instructor didn't know about it, or felt there'd be less competition as an Independent guard?

We have a possible winner :thumbup:

Have you seen that show though? It's a well done show and would be towards the top of SA