The BEST show you never saw!

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone have it on Betamax?

Now, that's not something you hear every day, LOL! :tongue:

Madisonville North Hopkins High School 2001 - "Somewhere"

This show was incredible! 1st or 2nd all season in the SCGC, but ended up in 10th at circuit championships - mostly because the judges felt it was too close to the way Northmont did the song in 1995 SW finals, but whatever.

These ladies were insanely talented and I have yet to see a high school guard from KY do split leaps, turns, jazz splits, etc as well as they did that year. And the rifle line!!! My gosh, that rifle line was INSANE!!!

Had they gone to a WGI regional (or even worlds) it would have faired very well.

Madisonville North Hopkins High School 2001 - "Somewhere"

This show was incredible! 1st or 2nd all season in the SCGC, but ended up in 10th at circuit championships - mostly because the judges felt it was too close to the way Northmont did the song in 1995 SW finals, but whatever.

These ladies were insanely talented and I have yet to see a high school guard from KY do split leaps, turns, jazz splits, etc as well as they did that year. And the rifle line!!! My gosh, that rifle line was INSANE!!!

Had they gone to a WGI regional (or even worlds) it would have faired very well.

Hey, Will, I take it this is among the stuff headed my way? :tongue:

OK, so, based on responses to this thread, I'm ordering my fifth -- and probably final (for now, anyways, LOL!) -- "On Demand" DVD. (I also have several "Fans' Favorites" DVDs.) I chose a number of second-place guards, as well as several others that I don't have on my various DVDs. Any comments about any of these?

1988 Final Analysis

1992 Emerald Marquis

1994 Emerald Marquis

1995 Blue Devils (I'm especially curious to know more about this one, "The Children's Hour of Dream")

1997 Emerald Marquis

1998 Emerald Marquis

1999 Fantasia

2000 St. Ann's

2001 St. Ann's

2002 Pride

2003 Pride

2004 Fantasia (high cam)

2004 Northern Lights

2005 Pride (high cam)

2005 San Jose Raiders

Edit: Oops, I'm in the wrong thread for this. My choices were actually based on the "Shows that should have won WGI" thread. Lost as usual. Oh, well! :tongue:

Edited by byline

Excellent choices Sue!! You will not be dissappointed!

And yes, I mailed your video/dvds on Monday! : )

Excellent choices Sue!! You will not be dissappointed!

And yes, I mailed your video/dvds on Monday! : )

Yay! :tongue:

Sue - you are going to LOVE 1988 Final Analysis! One of the many Tommy Kennum masterpieces!

I'd totally forgotten about them till the '86 "Celebrate Freedom" show was mentioned. (Actually, I'd remembered that show back when I was placing one of my previous "On Demand" orders, but tried looking it up and of course it's not been added to the collection yet.) But I didn't realize they were an Open Class finalist in '88, so I'm really looking forward to that show.

Any commentary about the '95 Blue Devils show?

1995 Blue Devils - WOW their best one IMPO. I think it's ALMOST better than 1996 (the record score year). Some wonderful equipment work.. kind of dirty, but super impressive.. very abstract and such.. the obvious champion.

Actually, if you watch the Blue Devils drum corps in 1995, you'll see lots of similarities carried over from the winter guard (costumes, work,etc..).

1995 Blue Devils - WOW their best one IMPO. I think it's ALMOST better than 1996 (the record score year). Some wonderful equipment work.. kind of dirty, but super impressive.. very abstract and such.. the obvious champion.

Actually, if you watch the Blue Devils drum corps in 1995, you'll see lots of similarities carried over from the winter guard (costumes, work,etc..).

Ah, OK, that makes sense. I have their '96 show on one of my earlier "On Demand" video, and I think I'm going to have to watch it again, because I'm just not as blown away as I'd hoped. I was all set to love this show (I absolutely love "Summertime"), but somehow it left me feeling flat. The performance was superb, and this is one amazingly trained guard, but I think between the disjointed editing of the music and the scattershot style that guards were embracing around this time, I'm just a bit underwhelmed. I really appreciate the fact that in more recent years, guards have returned to more powerful ensemble writing. It's as if they've pulled together the innovative ideas from the '90s but then added the powerful unison passages from the '80s. Stylistically, it's just a combination that I prefer.

Sorry, I didn't mean to derail this thread. It's because I posted my question in the wrong thread, but once people started replying here, I didn't feel I could move it over to the correct thread. I apologize for that!

Edited by byline