Getting my Itty-Bitty Corps DCA Legal

I was not aware of this. And I take it in order to compete in DCA's minicorps competition, you must agree to let yourself be recorded and sold for their profit, no?

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not to shine a dim light on DCA, but that (for lack of better words) sucks. If the corps can't afford to get the performance for profits rights or recording rights, then that should be their prerogative. I remember when Kiwanis Kaavaliers made the cut, but could not be included on the video because they didn't have the necessary rights. They weren't barred from competition though.

I remember when Kiwanis Kaavaliers made the cut, but could not be included on the video because they didn't have the necessary rights. They weren't barred from competition though.

true,.................but the didn't receive any other the residuals that the other DI corps did that year either,...........

Right, but that was Division I DCI. We're talking about DCA minicorps. Doubtful of the residuals in this case.

So, if I wanted to enter my hypothetical minicorps into competition, it would cost me about $1,000 for insurance, close to $1,200 for music rights, plus $100 to enter the competition, plus costs of attaining instrumentation, and finally travel expenses to Rochester.

OUCH!

I should mention again, that even though I'm being very critical, that's not my intention. It's just that the business behind running drum corps fascinates and astounds me, and I'm simply trying to wrap my head around it.

Right, but that was Division I DCI. We're talking about DCA minicorps. Doubtful of the residuals in this case.

Correct!

So, if I wanted to enter my hypothetical minicorps into competition, it would cost me about $1,000 for insurance, close to $1,200 for music rights, plus $100 to enter the competition, plus costs of attaining instrumentation, and finally travel expenses to Rochester.

Correct

OUCH!

Correct again!

:bluedevil:

With all that for maybe one competition, how are little corps to start-up anymore? That may not seem like a huge amount of money, but if it was all coming out of one pocket....

John Cage's 4:33?

The one that's 4:33 of silence. I think that's the one.

Edited by davidp

I am very glad this was brought up. I have been thinking about this myself, as a minicorps startup wannabe (I even have a

Yahoo group; look up Chattahoochee Vanguard). Not only that, but incorporation, non-profit status, and where to get horns and the people to play them. Too bad I'm in Atlanta (Marietta, actually), or I'd be at every MCA meeting picking the brain of anyone I could get a-hold of. I have several ideas for music in my head, but I lack the arranging ability, and the $$$ for the rights to do so if I could. Also, my group is currently one trumpet & tuba shy of a brass quintet. Time's a-wastin' for this year, but we might do something next year (I've feel like I've been saying that forever :bluedevil: ).

I don't want to give up, but...

We've been talking about Mini corps the last bunch o' posts but any Alumni type corps that wants to perform at any DCI or DCA event (not just the Alumni Spectacular) has to go thru (spelled P-A-Y) the same legalities.

Question: Is the process the same if the performance is not recorded for sale? Or better yet, is the cost different?