An ode to the King K-50 Mello

Scooter Pirtle

Hey Tony! She is safe and sound in my basement. I only bring her out on special occasions when the sun is shining and the mello gods have been ritually honored.

Actually she doesn't get much action nowadays. Pretty much married to the F mello trying not to embarrass myself next to Scooter.

I know what you mean. It was fun marching beside Scooter my one year with Star. He was and is a great player. By the way Scooter, it's alittle

late, but I really enjoyed playing beside you again in the Alumni Corps. Brought back alot of great memories. Heck, it was great just to play with

everyone again. (Wished I lived closer in Indiana. Would love to participate with Star United!!)

later,

tony

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

kingmelloLH.jpg

kingmellobellfront.jpg

If the horn looks nearly new, that's because it is. It was unused when I got it, and I can't play it.

What a waste for a dumb drummer like me to have. :sad:

Heck, it was great just to play with

everyone again. (Wished I lived closer in Indiana. Would love to participate with Star United!!)

later,

tony

Tony! Right back atcha. You were not only an exemplary weather man and storm predictor (way before Doppler weather radar systems!), but a tremendous musician!

You should trek up to Indy for a rehearsal one of these days. Hopefully, there will be some sort of "convergence" at some point in the next few years.

It would be great to play next to you again!

kingmelloLH.jpg

kingmellobellfront.jpg

If the horn looks nearly new, that's because it is. It was unused when I got it, and I can't play it.

What a waste for a dumb drummer like me to have. :sad:

There you go! It looks like a chrome finish, too.

I wouldn't let the fact that you can't play the horn get you down...None of us can either!

What's the story on this rascal?

Also, what short of mouthpiece did this thing ship with?

Great pics!

Tony! Right back atcha. You were not only an exemplary weather man and storm predictor (way before Doppler weather radar systems!), but a tremendous musician!

You should trek up to Indy for a rehearsal one of these days. Hopefully, there will be some sort of "convergence" at some point in the next few years.

It would be great to play next to you again!

Scooter,

I had almost forgotten about predicting the weather so accurately. That was some funny stuff.

Injuns!!

tony

Quick funny story -

I had joined the Bushwackers in 1990, coming from the Sunrisers... but anyway - we were outiffited with a line of subject "King of all mello's". it was at one of our first outdoor rehearsals... and we were all standing in front of the then 18 wheeler equipment truck, horn arc looslely formed, and we were all "noodling" prior to warm up. it should be noted that the horns were years old. I was doing some lip slur things, and...decided to punch out high B natural...on top of my lungs. when I did so, the second valve slide.... SHOT off the side of the horn...hitting the person next to me in the arc.... everyone in that arc.... nearly peed their pants ..... :smile::thumbup::smile:

There you go! It looks like a chrome finish, too.

I wouldn't let the fact that you can't play the horn get you down...None of us can either!

What's the story on this rascal?

Also, what short of mouthpiece did this thing ship with?

Great pics!

Yes chrome.

Actually I can put air through some of my bugles. I also have 2 Deg Dynasty II sops, and a Deg Mello that is the identical twin to the King, in terms of the appearance. But I don't play the King because it's too nice.

I got the King K-50 off Ebay and the owner didn't know much about it. I asked about drum corps but there was no connection. It's really in too good shape to have been played by a corps, unless it was some local parade unit of some kind. It came out of Wisconsin.

I also have a King K-60 French Horn bugle in very good condition, one of two King Frenchies that were owned by the Sky Riders. That is the only horn I have that I know of that was owned by a corps.

The mouthpiece says 3C, no brand. It has kind of a large shank on it, different from the trumpet 3C I have. And I have to admit, I might have switched that MP with the one from the DEG mello, which was says "MELLO 6V."

Yes chrome.

Actually I can put air through some of my bugles. I also have 2 Deg Dynasty II sops, and a Deg Mello that is the identical twin to the King, in terms of the appearance. But I don't play the King because it's too nice.

I got the King K-50 off Ebay and the owner didn't know much about it. I asked about drum corps but there was no connection. It's really in too good shape to have been played by a corps, unless it was some local parade unit of some kind. It came out of Wisconsin.

I also have a King K-60 French Horn bugle in very good condition, one of two King Frenchies that were owned by the Sky Riders. That is the only horn I have that I know of that was owned by a corps.

The mouthpiece says 3C, no brand. It has kind of a large shank on it, different from the trumpet 3C I have. And I have to admit, I might have switched that MP with the one from the DEG mello, which was says "MELLO 6V."

The King and DieNasty mello may look the same, but they don't play the same. I tried a DEG 2V mello years ago and started searching for a bus wheel to put it out its' misery. I looked at the guy who was going to loan it to me and asked "Why?" After that I played for about 8 years on a King K-50 I bought on eBay. The K-50 had about 75% of the silver plate left and was housed in a DEG case. Never looked at another horn until I needed 3 valves and put the K-50 away for a current model Kanstul.

FWIW, Renegades have some K-60's that have seen service in recent years. Those horns are like gold.

Yes - we have 5 of the 6 BD French Horns from the old days. Most are in very good shape (except the finish). It was cool to be able to play on my old horn again (in 2005-2006)

20060715_015.jpg

Nothing ever played as sweet as my old K-50... I really miss that thing!