Too much growth!

MHSmirage

I have to be honest, I never thought I would see the day....

I've been with this program a little over a year and a half. Last May, we only had 7 kids come audition in addition to the returning vets. I fielded a guard of 24 last fall. This year, I have 18 vets and 26 new folks. I know I don't have to take them all, but only 3 of them are showing signs that they won't beable to hang.

My biggest concern with going from 24 to 32 is budget. Second is the vet to new member ratio. I would love to march a big guard (band will be 180 and I think 30 is perfect size)

Have any of you had this happen and how did you handle it?

I had this happen a few years ago. The band was taking a trip to Europe and the guard went from 16 to 42 in one year. From a budget perspective you just need to cut corners wherever possible. You can make or buy solid colored silks for much cheaper than more complicated designs. If possible charge the students a costume fee. This will help cover the cost a bit. I found in my situation that my biggest asset was my veteran members. I relied on them to help teach the new students as I could not possibly have done it all myself.

Good luck. I big and inexperienced guard is a challenge!

As far as the cost issue - it is easier to deal with than you might think. Don't skimp on the necessitites (new poles, rifles, etc..), but do consider having parents sew flags (McCormicks and Band Hall will cut the pieces for you and you can sew them together), look at places like www.theguardroom.com for gently used costumes,etc.. Charging a uniform fee is wonderful to do also.

All my best!

I wish I had this problem! Only 8 girls showed up this year-- including returning members. My last year in Miami I had 87 kids show up for auditions. Talk about an "Oh my God" moment!

Anyway, I agree about budgeting for costumes. You'd be surprised what you can do with a little amount of money. We costumed our kids for about $40 in indoor season, and reused flags from outdoor. The kids provided the costume/uniform fee.

Another thing I have done in the past is to charge an equipment deposit. I usually charge $35 (about the price of a rifle), so that we have money right away to start purchasing items. This allows the kids to check out equipment to take home and use for practice. That way if something gets ruined, broken, "missing", and so on you have a little money to replace it quickly. I've also charge a $100 costume fee so that we could buy quality uniforms from FJM and Algy, etc.

Where I teach now, there's no marching band fee for guard members. This may be changing though, as the band and guard want to become more competitive and branch out into USSBA and possibly BOA. If we do this, the kids will have payment schedules of when they need to pay.

My kids have always paid for uniforms for the season, own their rifles and blades and so on. It turns out to be about $450 a season per member which is do-able. I'm just concerned about taking 18 NEW kids. It pairs up a vet with a newbie so that's to my favor I think. Just lots of work to do this summer fo-sho.

Thanks guys for your comments and tips!

Edited by MHSmirage

I really wish I had to deal with your problem!!!!!

With the band program being about 180, I would think the director would welcome a larger guard to increase the visual aspect of the program. If so, hit them up for more money to help the guard budget. Point out how much more you can add visually with a larger guard and the benefits to having them on the field.

My position is Asst. Band Director in charge of marching band as well as being on the guard staff. Being involved with both aspects I understand the dynamics of guard size. I always wish I had more and do whatever I can to get more but it just doesn't seem to happen. I have about 58 horns and battery on the field and am lucky to end up with 6 in the guard. You can see why I wish I had your problem.

With 18 vets and 23 newbies (if you cut the 3) that gives you 41 to work with. If the field show is designed with 30 on the field at any given moment, that is a 6:1 ratio which is effective and you could use the other 11 for props(if you use props) then when there are equipment changes, you also have 11 people ready to enter the field as the others exit to change. This gives you the opportunity to never have any dead moments in the visual program.

Then when winter season rolls around, you could split the guard into two units. One with the less experienced that still need extra training and the other with the vets and those that are already excelling. I know this can be a logistical nightmare but it is not impossible. It is a challenge but really rewarding when you see the kids are all having a great time and you didn't have to leave anyone behind to stay within your own safety zone.

So take em all if they can cut it; hit up the band program for financial help; and have a great season next year!!

Edited by MiniSopGuy

Yep, We already have the winterguard Varsity/JV system established. Also, after talking with the band staff, my budget just got ubber bumped up. I decided to take 31. It was clear who needed to go and who will beable to learn.

Trust me, after seeing HS programs like The Woodlands, Winston Churchill, Chochtaw, Flanagan and soooo many more..I am excited about having my own program grow. It's definately a good thing.

Some groups in general (sports teams, cheerleaders, etc.) use a big sister/little sister system to help the new students. That gives the rookies consistent veterans to go to with the little questions and also gives a system in which to incorporate the new members into the guard's activities as a whole.