1972 DCI Final DVDs

I was wondering if anyone knew anything about the progress (or lack thereof) of the 1972 DCI Finals DVD release? We were discussing it 6 or 7 months ago. Hardbat productions had finished the DVD and was waiting for clearance from DCI. If anyone knows anything or has heard anything, please post.

Thanks in advance!

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was wondering if anyone knew anything about the progress (or lack thereof) of the 1972 DCI Finals DVD release? We were discussing it 6 or 7 months ago. Hardbat productions had finished the DVD and was waiting for clearance from DCI. If anyone knows anything or has heard anything, please post.

Thanks in advance!

I contacted Steve Vickers a few weeks back and he said that the Copyright process is proceeding very very slowly. He couldn't give me a date for release. He assured me they are doing the best they can to get this released as soon as they can. We all just have to suck it up and be patient. So send 'em some good vibes and keep your fingers crossed that it will be sooner rather than later.

Just curious. When you talk of copyright issues, do you mean that they have to get permission to use the songs that were played back then like they do now? I've often wondered about that. So if corps used songs back in the day when they didn't have to get permission (if that's even true), then like 20 years later (or whatever) when DCI wants to sell DVD's, they have to then go get permissions? Is that correct? Did I explain that properly?

Well... the corps that originally performed the music should have gotten permissions to arrange and then perform that music in front of a live crowd. Who knows if that ever happened? Who do you go back to in order to verify if it happened?

But, the bigger issue in selling a DVD is that you have to get a license for every piece of music that is on that DVD from whoever holds the right to that music. Then, you pay a fee to each of those people every time you sell a DVD.

In order to be "legal", if you do not get a license for one of the pieces of music, you either need to leave that piece of music off the DVD, leave that corps off the DVD or don't sell the DVD.

I doubt that anyone got permission back then to use a piece of music. The activity was much more "informal" then. 36 years ago!!! But, Tower of Power and Chicago are still touring and entitled to their 2 cents a dvd, I suppose!

I have to agree I do not remember us getting permission to do any song. The winter of 71-72 we learned 2 off the lines 2 production numbers 2 into concert numbers and 2 exits that would have cost a bundle.

Edited by lp1955

Back in the 60s and 70s, corps played an average of 73 numbers per show, so this might take a while.

Back in the 60s and 70s, corps played an average of 73 numbers per show, so this might take a while.

LOL! :tongue:

wow, 13 minute show - we'll take a penalty, 73 numbers = 5.62 seconds per number.

1440 bmp, mark time, march

jdostie- That's EXACTLY how I remember it, back in the day! No wonder we were all exhausted after a show! :tongue: