So what'd you guys think of the Countdown?

Ok, so here was my experience. I got to the theater a full 45 minutes early because I was excited as hell. I was also extremely excited to once again see my Bluecoats on the big screen and I didn't want to miss it! So we bought our tickets and entered the theater lobby and bought some popcorn. There was nobody there to tell us which theater to go to so we just looked on our tickets and it said theater number 14. No problem! So we sat in our seats and were the only ones in there. Eventually the previews started and then a regular movie started! WTF!!!! I checked the time and noticed that it was almost 8:00! NOOOOO!!!! So we ran out and found the right theater. We completely missed the Bluecoats and sat in our seats for the last two minutes of Blue Devils. This made me so mad. They weren't even playing it in theater number 14 like the tickets said and the sign on the door said nothing! I wanted to complain to the manager afterwards but I just didn't have the energy.

That aside, once I got over the disappointment of missing the Bluecoats I had a great time! I had already told the theater manager in advance to make sure it was plenty loud, and she did. I brought one friend who had seen my DVDs before. I also brought another friend who works with a high school marching band but had never seen drum corps. His comment after the show was over was "Wow. That is what every high school marching band around here TRIES to do!" Also, after the Kingsman Alumni he said "I had always heard rumors that people used to march with timpani but I thought they were lying!" :tongue:

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It was small in Virginia also... and the volume was turned down too much. It should be mandatory to have the speakers alot louder in every theater!!! Other than that it was awesome!

The show was great but it would of been better with more than 10 people there and more drum corps vets. I even bought a camera for this event and left without taking a single picture.

Yeah, there were only about 5 other people in the theater besides for us. Last year there were way more people. I think if DCI wants to keep big attendance for this event they should bump the number of shows back up to 12 and include other decades.

One more thing. I CANNOT WAIT to see Crown this year!!!!! After hearing their 2008 musical selections in the theater tonight, I cannot remember a time I was more excited about a show pre-season!

It was small in Virginia also... and the volume was turned down too much. It should be mandatory to have the speakers alot louder in every theater!!! Other than that it was awesome!

This is a problem every year. That's why I always hunt down the manager beforehand and let them know that we like it LOUD!!! Tell them that this is a musical show and the fans like it loud, and that the quiet volume has been a problem in the past. They always listen.

I wish I could've gone. Alas, you need a car to travel nowadays. :tongue:

Or a time machine. :devil:

To add the Kingsmen at the last minute..hype it up...and then only show four minutes of a fifteen minute performance was a let down.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't the article announcing the addition say that only portions of the show would be shown?

Yeah, there were only about 5 other people in the theater besides for us. Last year there were way more people. I think if DCI wants to keep big attendance for this event they should bump the number of shows back up to 12 and include other decades.

It will be interesting to see the total attendance figures when they are released. There were so many more theaters showing the presentation this year, I figured the attendance per theater might be smaller, but overall it might be bigger.

To add the Kingsmen at the last minute..hype it up...and then only show four minutes of a fifteen minute performance was a let down.

In some parts of the universe, the Kingsmen might be THANKING DCI for giving them some mad props. I guess not on this planet, however. :tongue:

That was pretty cool. I was surprised to see so many people at the theater I went to. It was about 50% full. Got up and got some popcorn during the Cavaliers show (I've seen it so many times...). Everyone was pretty well-behaved, except for a few times when we couldn't help but laugh (like the confused soprano during the Kingsmen show). One guy was pretty angry that SCV wasn't in it.