Modern day drumline warmups

Alhough "I Believe" the Blue Devils were the clear winners this year in DCI I will agree than Phantom had the better drumline.

:smile:

BD was a worthy champion, but I have no idea how Phantom placed 3rd in percussion...should have won IMO.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While still a member of SCV, Murray composed "Martian Mambo" (1990-91) and "Poof!" (1992). These are the pieces that set the standard. Colin composed "Red's Rhumba" in 1992 while a member of SCV. We read through it a few times and ultimately decided upon playing "Poof!" Red's Rhumba would have to wait another year to be given the attention it so richly deserved (Star 1993). All three of these pieces were composed as on-the-field, 60-second warm-ups.

Murray would shake things up in the lot once again right around 2000-2001 (not sure on a specific season). This is the time he started developing the extended warm-up: a longer, progressive, usually groove-oriented exercise that may evolve over several minutes. SCV Double Beat, Basic Strokes, Spanks, and Krackus all fit into this category. The concept is to, aside from developing the hands, work on the mental stamina required to face the demands of an 11-minute field production.

So, what year did Electric Wheelchair come into the mix. It's to long to be a 60 second, and sounds more like the progressive groove that you described as happening later - yet, I'm pretty sure it was a mid 90s thing. EW and G-11 (Glassmen - more of a 60 second) are still two of my favorites though.

So, what year did Electric Wheelchair come into the mix. It's to long to be a 60 second, and sounds more like the progressive groove that you described as happening later - yet, I'm pretty sure it was a mid 90s thing. EW and G-11 (Glassmen - more of a 60 second) are still two of my favorites though.

EW came in to being in 1989, not sure on G-11. Neither of those pieces are 60 second warmups, they are street beats.

Cool, I was just curious - I'm not ignorant, but I'm definitely not a percussionist.

EW came in to being in 1989, not sure on G-11. Neither of those pieces are 60 second warmups, they are street beats.

Bill is right about Electric Wheelchair being a streetbeat. However, it was first performed in 1990 (played in 90, 91, & 92). Our streetbeats in 1988 and 1989 paled in comparison and were typically invented on-the-spot in the parking lot minutes before stepping off for the Holy Ghost Parade in Half Moon Bay.

We rocked the "Englishman in New York" groove ad nauseum as a tenor hype in 1989 and it would appear in 1990 in both EW and Martian Mambo (except in MM it was superimposed over 11/16--good times!).

Furthermore, how many 18-year-old drumline pieces can you think of that still sound fresh by today's standards? Props to MG!

Cheers!

I've never heard of the street beat called electric wheel chair that sounds really cool even without the notes .

does anyone have audio for this and who played it ?

Edited by rudi man

Electric Wheelchair was replaced by Spice Mon, right? what was after spice mon?

I found a recording of G-11 (Glassmen) - pretty sure this link is okay, because you can't download it.

http://www.lotpatrol.com/lpgallery/main.ph...adence.mp3.html

I found another slightly more questionable link - though again, I'm pretty sure it's okay, because you can't download it, and corps generally don't release this material for sale. This is the Streetbeat that Regiment started using in 03 - after a long parade this just gets ingrained into you.

http://www.drumline.nl/mp3.php?mode=play&a...330001155588291

If either link is inappropriate - I apologize to the mods

Edited by raphael18

Electric Wheelchair was replaced by Spice Mon, right? what was after spice mon?

"Spice Mon" was written for and performed by the Vanguard Cadets. It was never played by the "A corps" drumline. Electric Wheelchair was replaced in 1993 by "Mike's Beefy Beats," written by Mike Apodaca. Not sure what streetbeats were played in 94-95, when Lee Rudnicki served as caption head. 1996-on was a return to Murray's creations.

Edited by kerickson