Buccaneer Spring Preview

Once again, great show, great people, great turkey dinner and a lot of fun.

I think we, Bucs Alumni, did OK. Not as good as Harrisburg, maybe, but OK.

I missed who came on after us, but caught a lot of Reilly Raiders. They put on a nice well balanced show. Same kind of music they usually play, but better somehow, this year. Good strong sound and perhaps nicer/different arrangements. I'm not a percussion person, but the drums sounded real clean - crisp.

I'm kind of tired, I'm trying to think who was next. Steel City. That's who (GO FLYERS!!!). First time I've seen them. They did an extended Chuck Mangione tribute that was very well done and entertaining. I felt the show had some lulls, but then they'd kick it up a notch. Nice, strong patriotic finish. Enjoyed the show.

Next I'm thinking it was St Rita's Brassmen. YIKES!!! If you closed your eyes you would've sworn there was a corps 3Xs the size on stage. They were smokin! Nice, real nice, solo work on sop and bari. Folks, they were just plain good - real good. If you get the chance to see them - take it. You'll be amazed.

Yankee Rebels, I think were next. Sounded stronger this year, than last year, to me. I finally met Robbie Ellis, what a pleasure that was.

She had another great performance of solos. They did a pretty cool little ragtime sounding combo with a gigantic tuba. That was fun. Rebs are a little more subdued this days volume wise, but have a better sound than ever. I'm impressed by how everyone follows the direction from the podium. Color pre type of end to their show was well received and pretty cool. Also loved the rope drum feature. I wish that is what drum lines used all the time. I like the tone of them.

Skyliner Alumni. What can I say. I'm deaf!!! I saw a t shirt earlier on one of the Sky guys that said, "Skyliners invented LOUD". You wouldn't have doubted it tonight. A real fun performance of all their greats. Some good solos on sop and on bari.

Then came Buccaneers. They literally filled the auditorium. Great job. Great sound. Clean, intense, and shows every sign of being another winner. Could've been the acoustics, but at times the sound was kind of indistinct - I couldn't tell what they were playing, (maybe my ears were still buzzing from Sky's performance) I think I need to see it in context with the drill/total show. Don't get me wrong, it was really, really good, but there were little moments where I couldn't latch onto where the music was going. Trouble describing what I mean - almost like parts of it didn't make sense to me. (don't take offense guys, this is me, things not making sense is kind of a normal state for me).

However, given the level of performance, so early, again, will make for a tough show to beat. Got to talk with some of the staff. They seem pleased with the progress, but they know they have targets on their backs and will be looking over their shoulders. It's nice to know they don't take anything for granted - they shouldn't in DCA.

Well, it's 1 am time to turn in. Hope I didn't leave anyone out. Thanks to the few that came up and asked, "Are you...Martybucs?" So cool to meet you.

I know I left out Crossmen Xtreme, but I didn't see them, other than the afternoon rehearsal - I caught their last number which sounded decent. I saw Jimbalaya, (aka Joe, (but I don't know why), with Xtreme. You were the old one, right? :tongue: (BTW one of your 2nd trumpets is missing one of the pages to Symphony X - it was on a music stand in the band room when we were warming up)

Oh, one more thing, it was really, really, really HOT on stage. Some A/C would've been nice...and G hornlines rule.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good review Marty. It was a great show. Really enjoyed seeing all the old friends, the music & of course, the turkey dinner.

I'm constantly amaised that any time I see Steel City, that Riggy is still playing. When they took the stage, Fran announced that Riggy Laus was 82 & still playing a single-valve, slide (not even rotor) horn. That horn alone, is too old to march DCI! Rumor is that Riggy saw one of my fellow members of the Buc's Alumni back stage, who's 75, & said "have a good show kid!"

I got to see alot of old friends, & one from Reilly had a profound obesrvation, & this isn't a profound observation kind of guy. His comment was that alumni corps was helping to keep us young. I know he meant mentally, but I agree. I guess the old adage it right: You're only young once, but you can be immature forever!...................................Go Buc's

Edited by Oldbuc

I missed who came on after us, but caught a lot of Reilly Raiders. They put on a nice well balanced show. Same kind of music they usually play, but better somehow, this year. Good strong sound and perhaps nicer/different arrangements. I'm not a percussion person, but the drums sounded real clean - crisp.

I'm kind of tired, I'm trying to think who was next. Steel City. That's who (GO FLYERS!!!). First time I've seen them. They did an extended Chuck Mangione tribute that was very well done and entertaining. I felt the show had some lulls, but then they'd kick it up a notch. Nice, strong patriotic finish. Enjoyed the show.

Next I'm thinking it was St Rita's Brassmen. YIKES!!! If you closed your eyes you would've sworn there was a corps 3Xs the size on stage. They were smokin! Nice, real nice, solo work on sop and bari. Folks, they were just plain good - real good. If you get the chance to see them - take it. You'll be amazed.

Yankee Rebels, I think were next. Sounded stronger this year, than last year, to me. I finally met Robbie Ellis, what a pleasure that was.

She had another great performance of solos. They did a pretty cool little ragtime sounding combo with a gigantic tuba. That was fun. Rebs are a little more subdued this days volume wise, but have a better sound than ever. I'm impressed by how everyone follows the direction from the podium. Color pre type of end to their show was well received and pretty cool. Also loved the rope drum feature. I wish that is what drum lines used all the time. I like the tone of them.

Skyliner Alumni. What can I say. I'm deaf!!! I saw a t shirt earlier on one of the Sky guys that said, "Skyliners invented LOUD". You wouldn't have doubted it tonight. A real fun performance of all their greats. Some good solos on sop and on bari.

Then came Buccaneers. They literally filled the auditorium. Great job. Great sound. Clean, intense, and shows every sign of being another winner. Could've been the acoustics, but at times the sound was kind of indistinct - I couldn't tell what they were playing, (maybe my ears were still buzzing from Sky's performance) I think I need to see it in context with the drill/total show. Don't get me wrong, it was really, really good, but there were little moments where I couldn't latch onto where the music was going. Trouble describing what I mean - almost like parts of it didn't make sense to me. (don't take offense guys, this is me, things not making sense is kind of a normal state for me).

However, given the level of performance, so early, again, will make for a tough show to beat. Got to talk with some of the staff. They seem pleased with the progress, but they know they have targets on their backs and will be looking over their shoulders. It's nice to know they don't take anything for granted - they shouldn't in DCA.

Well, it's 1 am time to turn in. Hope I didn't leave anyone out. Thanks to the few that came up and asked, "Are you...Martybucs?" So cool to meet you.

I know I left out Crossmen Xtreme, but I didn't see them, other than the afternoon rehearsal - I caught their last number which sounded decent. I saw Jimbalaya, (aka Joe, (but I don't know why), with Xtreme. You were the old one, right? :tongue: (BTW one of your 2nd trumpets is missing one of the pages to Symphony X - it was on a music stand in the band room when we were warming up)

Oh, one more thing, it was really, really, really HOT on stage. Some A/C would've been nice...and G hornlines rule.

Marty,

It was great to finally meet you too! I really enjoyed talking with you and could have spent more time chatting but I had to get ready to play. And you had to get back into the show to prepare your fine review. :tongue: Thank you for the kind words. It was my pleasure to play for such a great audience.

Again, another great job by the Buccaneers Family for putting on a smoothly run and enjoyable show. I'll say it again that they are the nicest and most accomodating hosts and the Yankee Rebels and myself love doing this show.

I always look forward to meeting up with some old friends from Steel City and Skyliners and Fran backstage. A great way to spend the day. Nice to meet Tom Moore too.

I only heard the Buccaneers field corps. They had a balanced, professional sound that I think will translate better to the field. Percussion line was really crisp and clean and the hornline had some super dynamics. Based on what little I heard, they should be hard to beat at DCA once they put the visuals with the music.

And, yes, Marty, it was very hot not only on the stage but the entire building. Nobodys fault since it was a bad weather day all around.

Robbie

Edited by Robbie Ellis

Awww, man. I did leave someone out. How could I?

Fran Haring our emcee for the evening. Great job, as always. And for a change he was wearing a..............Hawaiian shirt.

Fran, you always connect with the audience and take away the big auditorium feel so that it seems like a cozy room and we're just listening to some drum corps and shootin' the breeze.

I heard, here and there, people mentioning how great it was to see Fran's wife Barb there. That has to be a nice feeling knowing that many people care about you.

Lastly, I saw Sam Faust there. We dedicated our show to Sam. Sam, one of our fellow Buc's Alumni members is seriously ill with the awful C. What a feat of strength to see him there - inspiring. Sometimes there's nothing left to do but fight and hang on for all your worth. Being there, last night, Sam proved his worth. It was great to see you Sam, hope you enjoyed the show.

Marty,

Always a pleasure to read your thoughts! It was another EXCELLENT day in Elverson. Some scattered observations from here:

Robbie Ellis IS very good! Rebels in general have a wonderful program. Their John Flowers percussion section is head/shoulders above all other alumni corps last night.

Our Buccaneer Alumni had its biggest turnout of the year. It was either 40 or 41 brass, and probably 25 more between drums and guard. Evidently, our people felt there was a brief "out-of-synch" beginning of Copacabana, but I doubt too many in the audience really picked it up. From the side (hey, I was the American Flag bearer) everything sounded strong.

Only got to see Crossmen Extreme during afternoon practice. Not my kind of music, but done VERY well. Their director (young female, name unknown to me right now) is a very intense, talented mentor. I doubt it gets much better than what she provides. Brilliant years ahead in that career.

Didn't get to see Reilly, but my buddy was REALLY impressed with their music. The corps is big (maybe 60 brass, lots of percussion and guard).

Steel City presented an excellent music book. Highlight was having "the Brothers" do their thing out front. I've always been a huge fan of Sandy. Good friend, Steve "Hairbear" Masters was his usual personable self all day, a most interesting and talented drum corps guy. If you haven't met Hairbear, walk up and chat, you won't be disappointed.

Agree, I was STUNNED by St. Rita's Brassmen. The curtain opens to a rather small group (15 brass, I think) but the wall of sound they put out is simply incredible, and it's not just noise. That's one fine group. I'll be sure to cathch them again somewhere.

What can you say about Sky Alumni? I look forward to seeing them whenever I can. It's the music that defines DCA for me. It's the music I played over and over on LPs (look that up young'ns). I can picture myself joining Sky Alumni at some point just to be closer to that essence.

I'm always nervous seeing my Buccaneers for the first time. I was apprehensive upon hearing they would be missing about a dozen brass for reason of school trips, graduations, etc. My fears were unfounded. This year's edition seems well-poised to defend their crown (if they can march and play at the same time, I guess). The music book is beautifully conceived, flows nicely. VERY intense, played at high technical ability. Seemed quite clean and bold for this early. Drum line is full and flawless to the naked eye and ear. We'll see if there's still enough wind in this corps' sails, but I can't imagine they won't be at or near the top all year.

The turkey dinner is almost too good to be true. Even better this year as I shared the time with Fran and Barb Haring. Barb's looking good. I think she'll be back at full speed before too long.

Great evening!

Thanks Marty........we heard you from the warm up room and corridor. Buc's Alum's sounded great..........we were so pleased just to be there. Funny thing at rehearsal (chunk) time.........as we were leaving Skyliners were giving us a hand and remarked...."hey, they're all young kids"...whereupon I felt complelled to correct them.........

very good review of the show.........sorry I didn't get a chance to catch up with you to chat

Fred,

Good to see and hear you folks. The conductor is the corps director, Rebecca Milley, who is a former student of mine and a Crossmen alum. She bring a lot of talent and motivation with her. As you could tell, we are a very, very young corps.........mostly high school kids, some of whom were with us last year. We'll be losing a few to graduation, but have recently recruited additional young'ns and are growing.

Marty,

Always a pleasure to read your thoughts! It was another EXCELLENT day in Elverson. Some scattered observations from here:

Robbie Ellis IS very good! Rebels in general have a wonderful program. Their John Flowers percussion section is head/shoulders above all other alumni corps last night.

Our Buccaneer Alumni had its biggest turnout of the year. It was either 40 or 41 brass, and probably 25 more between drums and guard. Evidently, our people felt there was a brief "out-of-synch" beginning of Copacabana, but I doubt too many in the audience really picked it up. From the side (hey, I was the American Flag bearer) everything sounded strong.

Only got to see Crossmen Extreme during afternoon practice. Not my kind of music, but done VERY well. Their director (young female, name unknown to me right now) is a very intense, talented mentor. I doubt it gets much better than what she provides. Brilliant years ahead in that career.

Didn't get to see Reilly, but my buddy was REALLY impressed with their music. The corps is big (maybe 60 brass, lots of percussion and guard).

Steel City presented an excellent music book. Highlight was having "the Brothers" do their thing out front. I've always been a huge fan of Sandy. Good friend, Steve "Hairbear" Masters was his usual personable self all day, a most interesting and talented drum corps guy. If you haven't met Hairbear, walk up and chat, you won't be disappointed.

Agree, I was STUNNED by St. Rita's Brassmen. The curtain opens to a rather small group (15 brass, I think) but the wall of sound they put out is simply incredible, and it's not just noise. That's one fine group. I'll be sure to cathch them again somewhere.

What can you say about Sky Alumni? I look forward to seeing them whenever I can. It's the music that defines DCA for me. It's the music I played over and over on LPs (look that up young'ns). I can picture myself joining Sky Alumni at some point just to be closer to that essence.

I'm always nervous seeing my Buccaneers for the first time. I was apprehensive upon hearing they would be missing about a dozen brass for reason of school trips, graduations, etc. My fears were unfounded. This year's edition seems well-poised to defend their crown (if they can march and play at the same time, I guess). The music book is beautifully conceived, flows nicely. VERY intense, played at high technical ability. Seemed quite clean and bold for this early. Drum line is full and flawless to the naked eye and ear. We'll see if there's still enough wind in this corps' sails, but I can't imagine they won't be at or near the top all year.

The turkey dinner is almost too good to be true. Even better this year as I shared the time with Fran and Barb Haring. Barb's looking good. I think she'll be back at full speed before too long.

Great evening!

Thanks, Jimmy

I'm pleased to learn Rebecca's name. We were one row behind her as she conducted the afternoon practice. I could hear all of her intrepretations/instructions to the corps. She REALLY has it going on! From one teacher to another, let me say, you did a fine job.

Listen up, all other corps management people, when a brass opening occurs, seek out Rebecca. This is the future.

Awww, man. I did leave someone out. How could I?

Fran Haring our emcee for the evening. Great job, as always. And for a change he was wearing a..............Hawaiian shirt.

Fran, you always connect with the audience and take away the big auditorium feel so that it seems like a cozy room and we're just listening to some drum corps and shootin' the breeze.

Thanks, Marty.... much appreciated! Sorry I didn't get a chance to say hi. (At least I don't think I did....LOL). Barbara enjoyed the show, and she was thrilled to see some of her friends.

You're right.... it was VERY warm onstage/backstage.

I think St. Rita's Brassmen were the surprise hit of the night! As I told the audience, I was a fan of the Brassmen in the early 1970's.... and I was not disappointed, to say the least, with their alumni corps. Great stuff.... I would put their four-person baritone line up against any bari line anywhere, in terms of sheer sound. And their signature "West Point Hymn" is one of my all-time favorite drum corps tunes.

From my backstage vantage point, all the corps were in good form.

"Thank you" to Lumelle, Jerry, Tom and the rest of the Buccaneers crew for their help..... they are always well-prepared and as a result, the Spring Preview is a very well-run show. And once again, the turkey dinner was terrific!!!!

Fran

I saw St Rita's and was also impressed with their show. I thought I counted 6 bari's and 2 contras. I know Reuben was one of those Bari's and he is 3 by himself. They had a lot of sound but very controlled. I thought the drum major was very good and nice soprano work by Jimmy Maldonado. Great drum corps finish with the soprano triple tounging ending. I also found it noteworthy that they got a standing ovation from a good part of the crowd. They deserved it. Joe