Info on Starting a Corps

Hey everyone. I've been doing a lot of research on said topic and would like to get some input from other sources. I'm trying to put together a detailed step by step to make the project run as smoothly as possible. If anyone has any useful hints or steps they would be greatly appreciated. Please send me a PM or an e-mail! :tongue:

If you get one of those made up, could you send me a copy? I've been trying to work up the same thing.

Lee Rudnicki wrote a book on this (I think). Might be a good idea to start there.

The "7 and a ham sandwich" approach is probably the way most successful corps start. You've got to find a circle of diversely talented, dedicated people who are willing to stick it out through the early years. Success will breed success.

• 1 month later...
Hey everyone. I've been doing a lot of research on said topic and would like to get some input from other sources. I'm trying to put together a detailed step by step to make the project run as smoothly as possible. If anyone has any useful hints or steps they would be greatly appreciated. Please send me a PM or an e-mail! :lookaround:

Harry,

all i can say is the best of luck to you. the 7 and a ham sandwich is the best approach. plus you must set a set of laws down so that the head cases don't try to undermined the operation I am doing the same as you here in PA and wish you all the best, we have a very large field to work with and alot of talented people who want to do it.

Lets keep in touch and bring Drumcorps back to the glory it once was. a corps in almost every town and spectators cheering in the stands.

Hey everyone. I've been doing a lot of research on said topic and would like to get some input from other sources. I'm trying to put together a detailed step by step to make the project run as smoothly as possible. If anyone has any useful hints or steps they would be greatly appreciated. Please send me a PM or an e-mail! :lookaround:

1. Check your PM.. I mailed you.

2. ALRIGHT!!!!!! I'm not the only crazy person on here that wants to start a corps!!!!!!

3. I would also email some of the new corps... and see what they've had to do.. Prarie Sound, Austin Stars, etc. They're some of the newest groups out there... I'm sure their corps directors/members would be delighted to share some of the priviledged info.

at the risk of sounding harsh...people plan, God laughs...

have never heard of a roadmap to success in DC, so just do it...there isn't anything so critical it can't be changed if it's not working...

looking back

get your 501 underneath you..

make sure you have two really good friends to cry with, scream with, and kick small animals if need be

okay don't kick animals, but it can be really frustrating to have to cancel rehearsal cuz two people will be out and it just took out your sop line...

most of all enjoy it for what it is...the rest will come with patience and desire

we are still learning tons and hopefully will continue to learn how to get it right, but if I can help ya out in any way I gladly will

set a set of laws down so that the head cases don't try to undermined the operation

Sometimes the head cases ARE the corps. How else would you describe the corps director who takes on the job of arranger, instructor, CEO, and all that jazz for NO $$$ PAY. They don't exactly fall into the NOT a head case catagory.

Although one must have a set of guidelines in place to deal with unexpecteds. Hard calls late in the season can limit growth, or at least the rate of growth. We had to make the call of having a corps of people that could be counted on, or having a Class A minimum corps only on the best of days. We chose the former. We'd probably be twice the size on the best of days had we chose the latter, but we probably wouldn't be putting our entire show on the field tomorrow (less drill for the closer), if we hadn't made the call.

..... You've got to find a circle of diversely talented, dedicated people who are willing to stick it out through the early years. Success will breed success.

I like this. Cuts right to the heart of it. No matter what else you need or have... you need THIS!

Our attitude was to get THIS first, and whatever that little group could do well... THAT'S what we'd do... then we'd build on THAT, one more good player at a time.

You've got to have patience... and have to be prepared for most of the work to fall on a very small group of people for quite some time.