Question about filling up at a gas station...

Someone asked me this the other day, and I honestly did not know.

Assuming 4 buses, an equipment truck, a kitchen truck, a souvenir truck, and a staff vehicle of some sort...

What is the overall cost of a stop at a gas station? Not interested in extrapolations for what it will cost this summer, I am curious about what it has cost in the recent past (preferably from someone who was a driver).

Equally good: What is the tank capacity of a typical bus, and a typical truck used by a corps?

Thanks in advance!

*back to lurk mode*

Assuming 4 buses, an equipment truck, a kitchen truck, a souvenir truck, and a staff vehicle of some sort...

What is the overall cost of a stop at a gas station? Not interested in extrapolations for what it will cost this summer, I am curious about what it has cost in the recent past (preferably from someone who was a driver).

Equally good: What is the tank capacity of a typical bus, and a typical truck used by a corps?

Thanks in advance!

*back to lurk mode*

5 or 6 dollars i think....

:smile:

From some initial research at some bus manufactoring websites, the capacities of fuel tanks can range from 60 to 250 gallons depending on the model. So you'll need to know what each corps is using as a tour bus and how old they are. And as they usually say, "you're milage may vary".

Edited by sburstall

The other thing to consider is that not all the vehicles need to be filled at the same time. And....most corps have a whole caravan of vans and other cars trailing behind them. That said, I'm sure you'll get your answer from a volunteer or driver who has been on the road before. Then, just multiply the number they give you by 140% or so, and you'll have your answer for this years gas prices :)

Thanks in advance!

*back to lurk mode*

well, if they are all diesel...and the buses have 250 gallon tanks....and the equipment truck has a 250 gallon tank...the kitchen truck has a 70 gallon tank...souvie truck the same as the kitchen truck...

250 gallons

X $4.60 a gallon

$1,150.00 per bus per fill up

X 4 buses

$4,600.00 to fill up busses

+ $1,150.00 for equipment truck

$5.750.00

+ $644.00 for kitchen and souvie truck

$6,394.00 for diesel per fill up....not counting the errand vehicle, which is probably gasoline...around 20 gallons....at $3.90 a gallon...at $78 a fill up.

this is all assuming that the busses and equipment truck have 250 gallon tanks...and are empty when filling up.....assuming the souvie and kitchen trucks have 70 gallon tanks...and empty when filling up

Buses can probably travel 1,700 miles or so between fill-ups...provided they have 250 gallon tanks, and get around 7 mpg...same with the equipment truck.

Kitchen and souvie trucks can probably go about 600 miles between fillups, with 70 gallon tanks.

runabout mini-van can probably go 350-400 miles....

Edited by skewerz