Help a Horn Guy Understand Color Guard's Better

What year.....they haven't given color guard awards at BOA for a long time

As much as I love Center Grove High School - one year their outdoor guard was doing amazing stuff that looked SO out of place with the bands music. It was awesome stuff and I think they won guard at BOA, but to me it didn't make a darn bit of sense with the show.

Musicality is a BIG factor in effective color guards. I'd almost rather see a dirty color guard that is spinning to the music than anything else.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

you all knew this was coming........ :thumbdown:

for several decades the center grove color guard has been a great example of what to look for in the pageantry arts be it drum corps,marching bands or winter guard.center grove is frequently emulated and copied and they have maintained high standards of excellence over time.

several caring directors and committed staff have nurtured this program through the years and currently the talented duo of josh conley and derrick betro head the guard.attention is paid to technique,beautifull expressive equipment qualities,dynamic effort changes,aesthetic production values,exquisite movement and integration.

CG is artistic,very competitive and highly professional.i respect their ability to perpetually re-invent themselves,challenge their performers and delight the fans!

Edited by dugg

I'm not sure of the year I'm thinking of for Center Grove - seems like it was in late 1990s. maybe 1996... i loved it. very fresh and modern. *side note- I was in high school at this time, so my view point of what I remember isn't all that great. Looking back NOW I know how great it was, but at the time I thought it was nuts*

and yes, BOA used to give out color guard awards - seems like Center Grove won this alot, as did Union High School back in the early 1990s.

I'm not sure of the year I'm thinking of for Center Grove - seems like it was in late 1990s. maybe 1996... i loved it. very fresh and modern. *side note- I was in high school at this time, so my view point of what I remember isn't all that great. Looking back NOW I know how great it was, but at the time I thought it was nuts*

and yes, BOA used to give out color guard awards - seems like Center Grove won this alot, as did Union High School back in the early 1990s.

1994 was the last time a color guard awards was given out at BOA. At Grand Nationals that year Union, OK was it in class AAA, Central Cabarrus, NC in class AA and Monticello, IL in class A and Centerville, OH won in Finals.

Center Grove has not the won color guard caption at BOA Grand Nationals (prelims or finals) when the award was presented. Union, OK did win this caption in Finals in 1990.

Center Grove has not the won color guard caption at BOA Grand Nationals (prelims or finals) when the award was presented. Union, OK did win this caption in Finals in 1990.

now,now this topic is about understanding color guard not focusing on glaring omissions and oversights or the ineptitude of the BOA color guard judging comunity! :ph34r:

"It's on the Field" Thanks for clarifying about the BOA guard awards. I've always been under the impression that BOA gave out that aware every year - anyone know why they stopped???

now,now this topic is about understanding color guard not focusing on glaring omissions and oversights or the ineptitude of the BOA color guard judging comunity! :ph34r:

True, but understanding how it works also may include some facts that in regard to the history of the activity. Omissions in thought occur from time to time which may lead to a mis-understanding of things. If one is interested in learning more abut color guard in general, Center Grove is a great example...even more interesting that, while many would think they've won that caption (because they are quite good), they in fact have not. Not taking us off topic, but adding to a further understanding of the original question and how subjective this caption really is. Seriously take a moment and think...Center Grove never won the guard caption at BOA. Kind of mind blowing considering the level they are consistently at.

Edited by ItsOnTheField

"It's on the Field" Thanks for clarifying about the BOA guard awards. I've always been under the impression that BOA gave out that aware every year - anyone know why they stopped???

I suppose I should apologize for trying to add some insight to this question as some may think I'm taking us off topic. :ph34r:

Anyway, the color guard caption award (along with the percussion caption) was taken out of the equation at BOA because these sections were being judged in the GE and Visual captions already (and music for percussion). Not only was it redundant, but the idea is that putting the spotlight on one section takes away from the fact that everyone in the program is working together to perform one production. You very rarely see an "outstanding woodwinds" award or "Best Trombones" award, for example. Marching bandand Drum Corps is about everyone who is on the field.

The color guard and percussion are just as much a part of the whole as every other section. Thus, the Outstanding Music, Outstanding GE and Outstanding Visual captions...recognizing the overall in each of those captions as well as ALL the sections that contribute to them as well. It also encourages incorporation of all sections being utilized to their max in a particular show. We've all seen shows (marching band and drum corps) where one section is considerably out performing the rest of the group. Awarding one section individually only perpetuates the segmentation within that program when the goal is for all sections to be strong. Leave it to the winter season to decide who has the better guards (and percussion).

Not everyone agrees or buys into it, but to me it seems to work fine....

I suppose I should apologize for trying to add some insight to this question as some may think I'm taking us off topic. :ph34r:

please don't or i'll have to apologize for trying to bring some fun and amusement to these discusions. :help:

That makes sense - I'm always about giving color guards rewards, just because I know my kids like to be recongnized, but I understand BOA's logic in doing away with the caption awards. Thanks for the history lesson! : )