quick question - Cavaliers 2002- Bb or G?

I'm 100% sure they were on Bb's in 2002. I saw them in Louisville, KY in 2002. And Madison on G's were like 8x's louder than Cavies.

That wasn't because of the horns. 2002 was the height of Cavies' controlled, symphonic approach to the brass sound... it would have sounded the same on G's. Besides, that was somewhat early season and Cavaliers historically bring the volume up slowly over the course of the summer.

I was at that show, too. Yeah, Madison was about 8X louder. But Cavaliers were about 8X better.

took the words right out of my mouth. Scouts- 8x louder. Cavies- 8x cleaner.

let's split the difference....gimme a show that's 4x better, and 4x louder, and I'm buying tickets :laughing:

let's split the difference....gimme a show that's 4x better, and 4x louder, and I'm buying tickets :laughing:

Here Here :sigh:

2002 was the height of Cavies' controlled, symphonic approach to the brass sound...

While I can only speak for myself, I'd think you'd find many to disagree with '02 being the height of the "controlled, symphonic approach" sound for the Cavaliers. The new approach to sound was fully implemented in 2001. What you likely hear is rapid growth in the hornline between 2001 and 2002. What an incredible difference from the hornline of 2000 to 2001 and into 2002!

I believe the sound of the corps has progressivley improved through the decade. Listen to 2003 versus 2002 - a marked difference! The colors that came out of the 2003 Cavaliers were groundbreaking for drumcorps. Or, for a really clear difference, take 2006 and compare it to 2002. I think you'll hear an incredible maturation in the sound. Sure, from year to year there are differences in certain sections of the corps. The 2005 Cavalier mellophones exhibited quite an improved (in my opinion) sound over the years prior. Most of the credit goes to the players, but some credit is due to the switch to the Kerchner IYM mellophone mouthpieces. I personally believe that 2003 and 2004 were particularly good years in the baritone voices. However, I believe each year tends to be a marked improvement on the year prior. I anticipate 2008 to be the best Cavalier hornline yet!