Transition from VFW/AL to DCI...

There was a dark side when DCI was formed. They had strick dress and attitude codes. Hair cuts and such, and imformed some corps mainly in the east that they weren't welcome. I won't mention names but it's easy to figure out the corps that went by the wayside after 1971.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh great....now I have this image of the two of them in adjoing urinals, discussing corps and whizzing away!

Thanks! Someone get me the brain-scrubber!!

This is actually how that discussion began! In a stadium at Delevan, Wisconsin if you want to make the pilgrimage. Sorry to warp your fragile little minds. :thumbup:

But as is already pointed out here, my book, while loaded with info from behind-the-scenes and on the field in 1970-72, especially from Midwest Combine and DCI cofounder Don Warren, is only one resource.

Bill Howard of the Madison Scouts wrote an insightful article in Drum Corps World's encyclopedias; Michael Boo's article has already been cited; I relied a lot on Ms. Popp's breadth of knowledge collected in the DCW encyclopedias; and I believe the DCI anniversary book -- which may still be in production from Steve Vickers? -- also contains interviews with the surviving founding fathers. Don't know if you can get Larry McCormick's "When Drum Corps Was Really Drum Corps" anymore, but it delves a smidge into it. Larry oversaw the Cavaliers' legendary 1971 Circus Show, which didn't plant the seeds for breaking away, but certainly added to the backdrop, as well as the VFW's reaction to the Madison Scouts' "Alice in Wonderland" show the same summer. The Cavaliers didn't go to VFW that summer; Bill Howard and the Scouts faced Tony Schlechta's penalties-for-costumes backlash.

If you have access to George Bonfiglio, Hugh Mahon, Bill Howard, Dave Kampschroer or Don Warren, ask now. These are the "Golden Geezers," if I can speak to the topic's first post -- deep wells of info and a link to drum corps' colorful past. I thought what they had to say was important enough to write a book about it. I'm glad to know it's important to all of us still to have a discussion about it.

During regular season shows, sponsors had total say on how much money they could give to the corps and that created a huge haves and have not society. A sponsor would give big money to one name corps and very little to someone they felt would not draw people. Both DCA and DCI were determined to find a far more equitable situation financially.

Thanks for the great insight Tom. Ironically, the current "merit based" pay of DCI has kinda created a similar "haves and have nots" situation. I would venture to guess that the corps that traditionally take home the most prize money are the ones who (generally speaking) are the most financially sound. Are the prize monies that much more than the appearance fees that everyone gets? Maybe I'm making a mountain out of a mole hill.

Would that bring back some of the smaller corps???

It would be great but I kinda' doubt it. It's going to be hard enough for the current open class corps to stay afloat even if they go more regional. There's so many financial barriers on top of gasoline. These smaller corps folded in the face of cheap gas prices. We can always hope though right? :big hug: