Learning parts!

jalbac

:rolleyes:

Often times, corps change the whole program from one year to the next. That's a whole lot of music to learn in such a short time.

Can anyone suggest an easy way to assimilate the charts as quickly as possible?

We all know the idea is to get rid of the music stand ASAP.

The obvious way is to practice...but I think the methodology is important.

:) Thanks for your input.

I try to get a recording or create a recording out of a Midi File. Burn the music on an audio cd. Then I copy my sheet music to a smaller size and put copies nearly everywhere - car, pockets, bath room, etc. So I can look on them permanently. Put a scan as screen saver or background picture on the monitor helps also. Also listening to the audio as often as possible. than try to memo parts and try to enlarge the parts you know. Add a mesure or two and so on. use the usual wasted time to memo.

that's the way I learn my stuff.

What REALLY helps me learn, is getting ahold of not only a recording of the actual part, such as a "click-track", but also getting the CD or mp3 of the original work, and listening to it like in the car or something every now and then. I dont really listen CONSTANTLY, cuz that would be like total overload, and i would end up getting sick of it LONG before tour.

It is especially helpful if I get the original recording BEFORE i get the music to it, cuz I'll already have an idea of how my part should sound, thereby making it easier for me to play.

hope this helps,

beatty

Start Simple... learn a measure, memorize it... then work on multiple measures, then chunks, then whole tunes...

Try to do the chunks intermitenly... like measure 8-16 then 37-42 then 1-7, etc. That way you are forced to learn the music...

Yea recordings work really well, in the way that you are forced to "hear" your specific part.

As Aristotle once said "we are what we repeadetly do"... practice makes perferct supposedly.

Have fun... jam to it...

Peace,

Cullen.

my most successuful memorization happened when craming at the last minute driving to camp with music on my lap practicing fingerings on my stearing wheel. and y aknwo what i acutally nailed it when they went down the live playing one at a time. wouldnt recomed it but it sure was an interestign way to do it.

practice, practice,practice --- but practice smart. :rolleyes:

I've never had trouble memorizing music; I seem to have a natural talent for it. I can usually memorize it just by playing it with the ensemble enough times; it becomes a muscle memory thing, I think. From there I have to work to keep it musical so it doesn't just become rote button-pushing.

Same thing with me, i just learn it. When i first starting marching though its wierd, i learned my music in my sleep. I looked at it for a good hour before i went to sleep, and some how in my subconscience(spelling) mode i learned it, and when i start to play, its already memorized. :rolleyes: Its wierd how that works, but it worked. :rolleyes: I dont do that anymore, i just memorize my music during rehersal after playing it for a while.

Edited by RaiderLex

So I just successfully played the first piece of music from our book without looking the music... I am very happy :D So I have a video of our run through of the music and I play along with that after I spend time working on parts that give me trouble... then when I think I have it down I strap on two 3lb ankle wieghts to my wrists and play along with the viedo... now with out music for the first piece WOO HOO !! so I would suggest practice A LOT !! I try to put in a least a hour a night and run through the whole book twice a night... then there is the ever famous mouthpiece while driving to work (or school or whatever you do) !!! after a while you can't help but memorize the piece...

personnally I like a new book every year... keeps things exciting !! or challenging however you want to look at it...

Edited by smogwax