Drum Corps People Are The Best

Today I attended the funeral of Patsy Bonfiglio. I've known the Bonfiglios since late 1965 when I joined the I.C. Reveries junior corps. After many years with the Reveries I marched with The 27th Lancers and was part of the "Once More In 94" corps. My parents were there for the founding of 27th and my dad was the director of the Reveries for several years. I got to see a lot of drum corps both on and off the field. I know not only the Reverie people but many 27th people before and after marching with the corps. There are good memories and bad and the histories and people of both corps are part of my life. I love all these people and I value their friendship and loyalty.

At the wake and funeral all the expected things took place. Bonfiglio friends and family as well as the expected droves of drum corps people from all the Bonfiglio years with both corps came to pay their respects. There were lots of emotions and memories shared. A large contingent was at the church. A piper played Patsy in and out of the church. A former 27th color guard captain traveled far just to share her wonderful singing voice for the service. All the elements of a wonderful, respectful service for Patsy were there including a glorious, sunny day.

Here's the most amazing part for me. After the grave-side service, a soprano player played Danny Boy while we all stood with Patsy. I was standing with two other 27th lead sopranos with our backs turned to whomever was playing. The three of us just stood there staring at the ground listening with tears in our eyes. We were all thinking the same thing. It was a wonderful send off for a wonderful person. None of us could have played through the tribute without breaking up. We didn't even take the chance as it was a forgone conclusion that we could not play Danny Boy without crying. Towards the end of the performance the player started to show some difficulty. Not anything overt but just the sort of things a horn player would detect in another. We did not dare to look at him. We could feel the tension of this guy trying to hold it together to finish and we were thinking we were lucky to not be him for we might have not finished and ruined a good thing. The guy finished. He played every note. Everyone around us was lost in the moment. Then we turned to see just who this amazing, brave individual was. It was a Boston Crusader! That's right. From the old days. From the 1960s when 27th and Boston banged it up (both on and off the field) every weekend for years. The biggest rivalry north of New York. This amazing person took it upon himself to bail us pathetic lead sopranos out knowing that all of 27th horn players probably could not do it as individuals or as a group. He didn't do it to show us up at a momentous occasion in 27th history. Don't even go there! He did it on his own because he opened up his heart, looked inside and found a way to help us during our grief. I'll not reveal his name because he seemed earnest and modest (he may jump in here later). His name is not important, the act was. I and others thanked him. Later in the day I took the 27th lapel pin off my jacket and presented it to him as a small token of the corps gratitude for such a wonderful act. That solo was the most amazing moment I ever experienced in drum corps. To me it shows what I've known all along. Drum corps people are the best!

If he's reading this. Thanks again brother! I'll see you around my friend.

27 TIMES :tongue:

Edited by up4479

I would never come down on someone from another corps playing Danny Boy Mrs. Bonfiglio...for someone from another corps -- ANY other corps -- to do so was not glory-seeking....FAR from it.

It was a deep tribute to those who were 27th...totally appopriate and classy.

To whoever it was...well done.

To echo what Sam said: What the soprano from the Crusaders did was totally appropriate, and totally classy.