What Happened To The Kingsmen?

In the East. The Alumni movment is very different. UN-like the current DCI Elitest Alumni's. Being a past member of the Corps is NOT manatory.

I know that arch Rivals of the past all get along very well. Party often and Enjoy their Corps, as well as the Others.

So if it Bothers the Elitest to call us/you an "Alumni Corps" just call it an Alumni TYPE Corps. "Where almost everyone is an Alumni from some Corps" Who cares which one.

The KAC was very much a mix of many many drum corps personnel. I suspect there were nearly as many members of the DCI Kingsmen who weren't original Kingsmen as those who were. Even though the KAC designated the non-original Kingsmen as "guests" and required they buy a different corps jacket than the original Kingsmen, they did allow the non-members to speak to them and buy them beers, but they also required the "guests" listen constantly to those endless and boring stories of what it was like to be a "real" Kingsmen. :smile:

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The KAC was very much a mix of many many drum corps personnel. I suspect there were nearly as many members of the DCI Kingsmen who weren't original Kingsmen as those who were. Even though the KAC designated the non-original Kingsmen as "guests" and required they buy a different corps jacket than the original Kingsmen, they did allow the non-members to speak to them and buy them beers, but they also required the "guests" listen constantly to those endless and boring stories of what it was like to be a "real" Kingsmen. :smile:

:doh:

thanks for lightening things up, MuddySpikes!

Let's remember that we're all just trying to do drum corps in our own way.

The Kingsmen project last year was incredible. Even if nothing proceeds from that.

But, if there is a spark of interest in keeping the corps on stage, I wish you the best!!!

Edited by brassomaniac

:doh:

thanks for lightening things up, MuddySpikes!

Let's remember that we're all just trying to do drum corps in our own way.

The Kingsmen project last year was incredible. Even if nothing proceeds from that.

But, if there is a spark of interest in keeping the corps on stage, I wish you the best!!!

At least one DCP'er misunderstood my post, so to clarify...

Didn't mean to inject myself into an argument here. If there is some battle going on , I don't know what it is and I wasn't trying to take sides. And my comments weren't directed at any posters on this thread. Just trying to put things into perspective. And thanking the alumni from a great drum corps for their efforts.

And showing my appreciation for the humor. :smile:

Edited by brassomaniac

Didn't mean to inject myself into an argument here. If there is some battle going on , I don't know what it is and I wasn't trying to take sides. And my comments weren't directed at any posters on this thread. Just trying to put things into persepective. And thanking the alumni from a great drum corps for their efforts.

Just as an aside....the original Kingsmen were very serious about their heritage and legacy. There were times that the attitude bordered on being insufferable. There was always a kind of barrier between many of the originals and among some of the "guests." I believe most got through the adventure joyfully, but I also believe many were glad when it was over.

Bottom line is the entire effort was admirable. Whatever differences existed were for the most part shelved for the good of the KAC and for the ultimate reward...once again marching in a world venue.

In any event, a lot of people had a lot of great things to say about Kingsmen after DCI.

I saw them perform at LOUD Music Symposium, and it was awesome

In any event, a lot of people had a lot of great things to say about Kingsmen after DCI.

I saw them perform at LOUD Music Symposium, and it was awesome

I couldn't agree more, and it was a very real tribute to all who marched and all who supported them to have 280+ members rise above anything that could/would cause problems and field one of the most memorable of the alumni corps.

WOW, who did you hear that nonsense from? You really should have your facts straight before you say something like that.

I believe the ratio to be more like 72/25. After all the Kingsmen hadn't fielded a full size corps since the early 80's and we wanted to have as many people on the field as we could for the DCI celebration.

And the term guest was used to make people feel welcome, not alienated as you are trying to imply. Granted there were a few within the ranks that thought we should be going to out win DCI again, but they were very much the minority and the whole KAC project shouldn't be judged by their ignorance.

Long before the inception of the KAC one of our former members Lynn Otto Hall started getting Kingsmen jackets made for those members who wanted one. The design is the same as the original Kingsmen jackets and wind breakers we had 30+ years ago. As with any Corps jacket, if you didn't march in that corps you shouldn't be wearing a member jacket so they were only available to ex-Kingsmen.

Then came the KAC and a new but similar emblem was designed for the Alumni Corps. One of our talented members Ed Crew offered to make embroidered KAC jackets for the members and the jacket thing was off and running. They turned out great and we owe Ed a debt of gratitude for taking on the project himself. No one was required to buy one or the other but as I stated already, someone shouldn't be wearing a corps jacket if they didn't march in that Corps. Nobody likes a poser, especially in drum corps!

To put it bluntly, you weren't there so you should keep your pie hole shut!

Didn't mean to inject myself into an argument here. If there is some battle going on , I don't know what it is and I wasn't trying to take sides. And my comments weren't directed at any posters on this thread. Just trying to put things into persepective. And thanking the alumni from a great drum corps for their efforts.

Thanks Brassomanic. I am not sure about who was having an argument either. I was just explaining about The Alumni movment. Eastern Style and Active DCI Corps Style (SCV, Cavaliers Classic).

Thanks Brassomanic. I am not sure about who was having an argument either. I was just explaining about The Alumni movment. Eastern Style and Active DCI Corps Style (SCV, Cavaliers Classic).

I have the utmost respect and admiration for the Alumni Corps Movement up here.

Don't really know anything about the more recent DCI Alumni reunion projects. I'm just glad to see people able to get that rush again (and to let us see and hear them too!), even if it's just one more time!

Edited by brassomaniac