Another Open Class Corps Gone

By the looks of it - they will still continue a Jr. program, just not a DCI touring corps.

Based on St. John's history and excellence in Div III in the 1990's - they may shake up the DCA world if they can get this corps off the ground.

If it is the St. Johns of the past few seasons.....um..not so much.

DCA is a better home for them....most likely a mini-corps to start.

As a staff member from 03-04, I would disagree. When I started back with St. John's in '03 - '04 we had an average age of probably 11 or 12 with the oldest member being 16. (We were beating other Div 3 corps that were much larger, and much older) Our shows were designed for an older, mature and more talented corps. The members stepped up to the plate though and amazed us....and the judges too.

Today, I can think close to a half dozens members who currently march with Top 12 corps. Very proud of them.

For now, and with the current situation of drum corps in Canada, DCA will be a good home for St. John's.

Touring costs and gas prices being what they are, don't be surprised if you see more of this.

Mr. Brace - glad to see you still haven't cheered up any.....

Is this where I come in?

I'll suggest here that patience can equal possibility.

Best example is East Coast Jazz.

Rochester show, 1992 (?). They were small and extremely young.

They did local shows and didn't score very well.

But they trained the kids. And built a loyal, local nucleus.

And 5 years later, they had a little powerhouse with one of the best hornlines I have ever heard. Probably the best in DII since Musicale in 1990.

And they lasted. For a while.

Patience. Perseverance. Vision. Loyalty.

Mercenary mentalities, chasing the ring and taking the path of least resistance don't build much.

Which one defines us?

(how's that for melodrama?)

I'll suggest here that patience can equal possibility.

Best example is East Coast Jazz.

Rochester show, 1992 (?). They were small and extremely young.

They did local shows and didn't score very well.

But they trained the kids. And built a loyal, local nucleus.

And 5 years later, they had a little powerhouse with one of the best hornlines I have ever heard. Probably the best in DII since Musicale in 1990.

And they lasted. For a while.

Patience. Perseverance. Vision. Loyalty.

Mercenary mentalities, chasing the ring and taking the path of least resistance don't build much.

Which one defines us?

(how's that for melodrama?)

Thank you for laying it down like that. I agree completely.

Touring costs and gas prices being what they are, don't be surprised if you see more of this.

Mr. Brace - glad to see you still haven't cheered up any.....

Poor management and lack of ability to raise necessary funds kill more corps than touring costs and gas prices. The current economic situation will undoubtedly take its toll. Good directors, however, will be able to navigate the obstacles. Just because folks have good intentions to run a corps doesn't mean they're qualified to do so... a point often overlooked on this Planet.

Poor management and lack of ability to raise necessary funds kill more corps than touring costs and gas prices. The current economic situation will undoubtedly take its toll. Good directors, however, will be able to navigate the obstacles. Just because folks have good intentions to run a corps doesn't mean they're qualified to do so... a point often overlooked on this Planet.

An interesting statement.

You seem to associate “good” management with the ability to fund the enterprise under any conditions. Management that recognizes problems in funding and addresses those problems decisively is “poor”.

In another thread, the decision of the Cadets to withdraw from the Bridgemen’s show was applauded (by some) as a prudent management decision. But, applying your logic, aren’t the Cadets more guilty of bad management? After all, they couldn’t raise the funds to participate.

“Know when to fold them.” “Half a loaf is better than none.” Aphorisms to be sure, but not without truth.

Good management makes tough and unpopular decisions when necessary. They don’t just keep following the same game plan until the enterprise collapses.